Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

What size tire??

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 09:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What size tire??

Ok i have 18 inch rims...and i need some tires cause i don't get any traction unless i do a 55 roll and becuse their cheap tires their 245 18 40...i was wondering whats the biggest tire size i can go on my rims by the way their my daily rims...but i want some good tires for a daily...any help would be great..thanks....by the way i want some MT street drag radials
Old 06-09-2009, 08:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Can't tell you tire size without knowing the wheel width . . . .
Old 06-09-2009, 09:28 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

width does make a difference on how a car handles and how good it grips but what matters more is type of tire, how soft the rubber is, if its a winter or summer tire the temperature, what its made for wet or dry.. you can get a tire that fits and think you got good traction but you might not.

Here is some basic advise though:
hard rubber does not stick as well as soft rubber, and cold rubber does not grip as good as hot rubber so you mix soft rubber and heat and you get traction, you mix hard rubber and cold nd you get NOTHING. that is the basic rule for tires, every tire falls in between that

*tread wear determns how long your tire will last by telling you rubber stifness. (the harder the tire the longer it will last, but the less traction you will get) the higher the number the stiffer the rubber. stiff tires also cause road noise.....
*temperature rating (A,B,C) it tell you how hot the tire will be. a tire with a high tread wear rating is stiff so it need to stay warm so that you get traction. so if you got a tire with a high tread wear rating such as 500 you need the temperature to be "A" (hot) so that it gets some traction but a tire with a 300 tread wear only needs a "B" (medium) temp rating to get equal traction but it wont last as long. a tire with a low tread wear such as 150 -200 is already soft so it needs a C (low) temperature to get equal traction as the rest but it will not last long at all.
* so if you get a tire with a high tread wear and low temp it will be stiff and it wont heat up therefor you will get no traction AND if you get a tire with a low tread wear and high temp it wil get STICKY (example drag radials)

**were the tire says traction that pretty much means nothing cause its is different for the class it was designed for and its is pretty much and average depending in the temp and tread wear

for you i recomend that you get a tire with an "A" temp rating and about 300-360 tread wear it will help you handle GREAT and will last for a while as well. width just intensified the effect of what i just told you above......but a 12 inch tire can handle as well or worse then a 8 inch tire depending on the tire