Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Fikse FM10s in 17" or 18"?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 02:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fikse FM10s in 17" or 18"?

Hey guys,

I'm planning on getting Fiske FM10 wheels for a future '98-02 Camaro build and I'm trying to decide on the size. Now I know that 18" wheels are more $$$ (about $1200 more for the set compared to the 17"). I would like to run 275s in front & 335s in back. And with either size wheel, will there be an issue of clearance in the rear? I know a bunch of people have 17x11 & 315s but I'm not sure on 17x11 & 335s. Also if I do go with the 18"s will there be a clearance problem? I have seen a guy on here (H8 BN SLO) and he was running IForged Aeros 18x9.5/ 18x11.5 with 275/335 Michelin Pilot Sports and they fit perfectly. I'm not sure how he did it, there wasn't a mention of mini-tubbing or modifying the rear end on his mod list either. Anyone with info and/or advice please post. Thanks.
Oh, and I'm considering using the Pilot Sports as well. Any other tire recommendations? Keep in mind that I want to go 335 so nothing that runs overly wide in relation to the rated size. Like the GS-D3s
Old 07-03-2009, 04:26 PM
On The Tree

Wow. Nobody has any advice or info on the clearance issue with 17" or 18" & 335s? As I said, I have seen H8 BN SLO's car but I would like others to chime in with either pics of their similar set up or just helpful info. Thanks.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is just a personal opinion. I had the same dilema when choosing my wheels. My thoughts were I wasn't going to pay to have a 1" difference in rims. So I decided to get a set of 18" rims. They look good in photos. They look pretty good in person. Personally, I would get 17" rims if I was going to do it again. The 17" have more sidewall and just look better in person. Plus, tires cost less and there are more options available.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by prince xizor
this is just a personal opinion. I had the same dilema when choosing my wheels. My thoughts were I wasn't going to pay to have a 1" difference in rims. So I decided to get a set of 18" rims. They look good in photos. They look pretty good in person. Personally, I would get 17" rims if I was going to do it again. The 17" have more sidewall and just look better in person. Plus, tires cost less and there are more options available.
Yeah I realize that it's a personal choice. I mean you ask 100 people and get 100 answers type of thing. I just wanted to know what other people have done. I just don't want to spend the money on the 17" and regret it later. I'd rather save a little longer if I have to. There is around $1000 difference between the two. And from what I saw from the Tire Rack, the 285/35/18 & 335/30/18 were actually cheaper. Not a lot cheaper but I still was surprised. I thought the 18's would be more. I guess do to the sidewall height. Less actual rubber on the smaller profile tires. Is that right?
Old 07-06-2009, 08:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Exclamation

Originally Posted by TXSSIVE
Wow. Nobody has any advice or info on the clearance issue with 17" or 18" & 335s? . . . . .
Well first off, it was 4th of July Holiday Weekend, so many of us were outside having fun with Family and Friends . . .

Diameter of the wheel has absolutely nothing to do with "fitting" or clearance issue with the car, unless there is a brake diamter issue or you're asking about a 24" diameter wheel . . .

The issues that affect a wheel and tire fitting your car is the OVERALL diameter of the tire, width of the wheel, width of tire and the offset of the wheel.

Deciding factors:

Cost of Wheels - 17" FIKSE Classic's start at about $700 each wheel. 18" FIKSE Profil's are bout $1,000 each wheel. (Based upon what I have spend in the past)

Weight of Wheels - the Profil line is EXTREMELY lightweight, the Classics are light too . . .

Cost of Tires - 17" are typically way cheaper, and more options available.

Availabilty of Tires - I like the same brand and style tire front and rear of my car, so finding two different sized tires can be tricky and limited . . . but if front and rear tire brand style not matching opens up different avenues.

Straight Line Traction - more sidewall, more traction . . .

Corning - less sidewall 18" win . .

Appearance - some wheels look good in different sizes . . 17" FM5's look stunning, 18" Profile 5's are blah . . . 17" Profil 5S's look funny, same style in 18" are awesome. The 17" Profil 13 look TINY, the 18" well I like them . .

Tread Width - it is OBVIOUS that on this site are totally different levels of modifications to fit a 315 series tire, why? because every 315 series tire is a differnt width, a Nitto is narrow, a BFG is like a steam roller . . so some fit with little or no mods, where as the latter requires BFH and quarter rolling . . .

So if that is the case a 335 is going to require MORE mods.

Heck my new 295/35R18 Michelin Pilot Sports dwarf the old Kuhmo Exsta MX's . .

If you are considering dumping that much coin on a set of FIKSE wheels, YOU need to make the choices, not the internet.

Oh and by the way sending me e-mails through LS1Tech with questions is pretty silly if you have your e-mail for one to respond back through LS1Tech turned off. . . .

And lastly, I am just an enthusiast that loves Camaros. I do not work for any wheel or tire supplier nor do I work for a wheel or tire manufacturer. So the wheel and data info I (currently) know is learned through this web site, the internet (Google), wheel suppliers (FIKSE) and quite honestly trial and error . . . . It's all out there. I am not going to take the risk of advising something I have not done, nor know how to do. I can just see it now . . . I just spent $4,500 on custom FIKSE YOU said would fit and they don't!
Old 07-06-2009, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

Hey,

Yeah I realize that it was the 4th of July weekend but I was a little impatient for a response, I mean I saw that there where a bunch of people who where reading one of my similar threads but no one posted a response. That and I was bored, with my wife working (she works nights and worked this weekend).

I also realize the other factors you referred to. Basically I just wanted a little input on what other people thought. As you said, some wheels look better in 17" others in 18". And being that I am relatively new to a lot of this, I wanted to get input from others who have already been there and done that. That's what is great about sites like this. You are able to learn from others and gain from their experience.

Which brings me to the size issue. I would really like to get in touch with who ever "h8bnslo" is because I stated he ran 18x11.5 Iforged Aeros with 335s and in a thread on the subject he stated to someone that all he did to get them to fit was a good amount of BFH'ing on the wheel wells. Is it surprising? yes. I can't get over how he was able to do it just by that. He made no mention of mini-tubbing, rear end mod. He listed all the mods and upgrades along with the pics, he had the car listed for sale so he gave a list of work that he had done. He listed the car for around $27k I believe. But I digress.

And I would never just take someone's word on here without checking it out first. Now somethings like simple bolt-ons or the like isn't a big deal but with the matter of big dollar wheels, now that is a different story. Because if I did do that I would have no one to blame but myself.

Thanks for the response, I do value your opinion and appreciate you sharing your knowledge and experience. I know you're pretty well versed in wheels/tire issues. So again thanks.

Oh and I didn't realize that e-mail issue. I get alerts when I have a private message though so I'm not sure what you meant. If I had something turned off it's probably to cut down on stuff in my mailbox (Damn junk mail and random messages!)

Last edited by Xsta Z 28; 07-06-2009 at 02:00 PM. Reason: No need for the quote

Quick Reply: Fikse FM10s in 17" or 18"?