Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

narrowed rear with street wheels... come in!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default narrowed rear with street wheels... come in!

what are you guys with narrowed rears running for street trim? just curious what people are coming up with. i have had a few people ask me what i am planning on running. narrowed 3in per side. post away!
Old 07-14-2009, 09:59 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There should be more options regarding wheel styles. Just look for your favorite wheel and compare the sizes you choose with the sticky at the top of the wheel section and subtract 3" to consider your new backspace.

You can consider our Bogart wheels; I can design a setup for your car.

Here's an example of which someone was discussing recently.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-ti...-new-post.html
Old 07-14-2009, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

steve, as always... those are pure sex. i will definately keep you in mind before i make a purchase. i am suprised more havent responded to this thread. maybe everyone drives daily on a drag pack?
Old 07-14-2009, 11:57 PM
FormerVendor

Thanks. Some don't even realize we have other lightweight wheels that are not drag only. Those wheels you see are our road race wheels...VERY light yet very strong and designed to work for very high-stress situations seen in road racing (far more stress than you'd see on most street-configured designs).

If our wheels aren't for you, you'll still have many choices. Actually, probably more than you had before when it was stock length.

Here's how I'd consider you start looking:

1) First and foremost, pick the tire you want to run
2) Choose your backspace requirements you want based on the wheel size the tire manufacture suggests
2) Verify with the manufacture of the wheel that they can offer you the width tire in the backspace range you require (not to mention they clear the brakes.).

If weight is a concern to you compare/contrast differences between companies products. Weight shouldn't be overlooked (in my opinion). A heavier wheel will reduce braking efficiency; lower handling as well as just about every other performance area will be reduced. It also places more stress on your driveline and engine. You'll find our road race wheels will be among the lightest and strongest on the market.

Good luck!
Old 07-15-2009, 12:11 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SLawson86
what are you guys with narrowed rears running for street trim? just curious what people are coming up with. i have had a few people ask me what i am planning on running. narrowed 3in per side. post away!
American racing TT2's 17x12 5'' backspacing

Will be hitting up SJM for my track wheels since no one else has anything to offer that clears LS1 rear brakes.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^That looks SICK. Wish I would have narrowed my 9"....
Old 07-15-2009, 02:24 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
anytime you shorten the axles on a very long stock rear-end...the deeper dishing looks better in my opinion.

[
Old 07-15-2009, 04:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
I'm with ya on that one Jeff, my dana 60 could have been narrowed 2" per side
Old 07-15-2009, 04:56 PM
FormerVendor

On occasion, we do have some customers sell their stock length aftermarket rear-end exchanging it for a shortened setup. We do have special packages we offer which are not listed. In some circumstances, it’s actually a worthwhile consideration.

Give us a call if you have more questions or concerns.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

smokedout, wheels look gorgeous. keep em coming guys
Old 07-15-2009, 05:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
anytime you shorten the axles on a very long stock rear-end...the deeper dishing looks better in my opinion.

[
How much is the rear narrowed on this car? What size wheel/tire? How much backspace?

Thanks,
Old 07-15-2009, 05:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokedOutZ28

Will be hitting up SJM for my track wheels since no one else has anything to offer that clears LS1 rear brakes.
how much is that rear narrowed? I had calculated mine to use a 17x12 with a 5" back with the rear narrowed 4" per side. at -4" per side, a set of 15x10 billet spec street lites should work with a 3.5" back. the wheel center would set flush with the rim ledge in the rear and should clear the stock ls1 brakes.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:51 PM
FormerVendor

~3" per side, tire ~29", the backspace is ~5".

No matter what diameter the wheel i.e. 17, the dishing of the wheel would be similar.

To my knowlege, from the above poster, billet spec. doesn't offer any other wheel set at the correct backspace needed other than stock which directly fits over the LS1 rear brakes (15's as discussed)...at that, they only offer the rears to fit, not directly fitting the fronts no matter which configuration you choose.

O.P. I'll look for customer whom have submitted pictures of their shorted rear-ends using our 17's. We've make/made them but I don't know if I have images of them on the car from the customer.

Last edited by SJM Manufacturing Inc; 07-15-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
To my knowlege, from the above poster, billet spec. doesn't offer any other wheel set at the correct backspace needed other than stock which directly fits over the LS1 rear brakes (15's as discussed)...at that, they only offer the rears to fit, not directly fitting the fronts no matter which configuration you choose.
ok, Steve. tell me where I am wrong here. the stock ls1 rear brakes will fit in a 15" wheel barrel as long as the brakes are positioned in the non tapered, widest diameter section. it's that inner shoulder that the center welds to and the ridge of the barrel that also allows the tire to be mounted that creates the problem. billet's bolt on ls1 specific wheel is made so that the barrel does not taper down in diameter up to the back of the wheel center. the ridge in the barrel that the center welds to is really narrow and looks like it would create a pain in the a$$ mounting the tires. (sorry that I don't know the correct names for the parts of the wheel in question.) my friend's 4.5" back street lites do not taped down at all untill you reach the shoulder that the center welds to. at 4.5" back there is still 1" of shoulder until you reach the mounting flange. now consider this, since 3.5" is the minimum available backspacing, there is nothing but straight, untapered barrel up to the mounting flange. the back of the wheel center is flush with the back of the shoulder inside the rim. at minimum backspace (3.5") the brakes should stay in the non tapered part of the barrel of the off the shelf wheel. what is the flaw in this thinking?
Old 07-15-2009, 11:30 PM
FormerVendor

The LS1 rear only wheel that is built design specific is setup for the stock length rear-end. It is using specific barrels to create additional clearance (and backspace needs)...as you've indicated. I believe the centers have a larger hub pad for the LS1 caliper overhang…which I don’t believe their “standard” wheels do. If I'm incorrect, feel free to correct me. I don't build their wheels; I'm only going on a few assumptions based on whom and where they purchase the shells from and what images I've seen.

For the reasons above, it would be like taking their standard wheel and stating it should fit LS1 calipers with no caliper overhang issues (backspace challenges will arise due to the hub pad thickness).

I suppose a test for you would be take your buddies wheel and see if it clears your caliper overhang and overall diameter...the diameter probably isn't an issue as you've indicated...the overhang in my opinion may be an area of concern based on the images I've seen. If it does, than I'm incorrect.

It's not that they can't do this...we've made many street/strip wheels in the same manner using the 1 piece shells they now use and using thicker 1 piece centers with milled with larger hub-pads. We've had F-bodies and mustangs on them for years.

I really would rather keep this post to the OP's intention. I apologize if I've moved it away from the original purpose.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

no apologies necessary. as long as no bickering begins... can go wherever. would like to see some other options. there has to be other members who run a different street trim setup on a narrowed rear. even suggestions, figure we could make this an informative thread. steve, what would you recommend backspacing for 3in narrowed on either side, by your preference. i would venture to say 5in for a 10in wide wheel?
Old 07-16-2009, 12:37 AM
FormerVendor

Backspace setting will be somewhat subjective. I'd suggest anywhere between 4-5.5". The picture I posted was slightly larger than 5", this was to tuck the wheel in far enough to clear the very large tire.

The larger the backspace, the smaller the dish you'll see on the wheel. Since the rear-end is shortened so much, you'll have quite a bit more dish than the typical F-body anyways.

I can create backspaces as deep as 8" rather easily on a 10" wheel for example. Most other wheel manufactures do not have the setup for this...thus why you'll see folks stating smaller numbers. Take 15x8's for example, if I were to build them for your stock length rear-end...I would use closer to 6" of backspace to center the wheel better in the fender well. You'll only see folks suggesting 5.5"...only because others do not offer anything larger.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:07 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by sr71
how much is that rear narrowed? I had calculated mine to use a 17x12 with a 5" back with the rear narrowed 4" per side. at -4" per side, a set of 15x10 billet spec street lites should work with a 3.5" back. the wheel center would set flush with the rim ledge in the rear and should clear the stock ls1 brakes.
The S60 was narrowed 2.25 each side. Like Steve Said BS doesn't offer any 15'' wheel that will clear LS1 rear brakes for a narrowed rear end. You can get strange Drag brakes and then you could narrow the rear end or not narrow your rear end and get some 15'' wheels with the stock backspacing but those two are not a option for me.

I've look at all wheels and SJM/Bogart are the only one's that can guarantee that when I get my wheels they will be to my liking 15x10(5.5-6.0 bs so they tuck a bit) and clear the rear LS1 brakes. Unfortunately I Will have to wait later then year or into next year to get a set.

Let me give you guys some CONS to narrowing your rear end that i've ran into.

1. Street Wheel options no longer exist (Basically all wheels will have to be custom ordered) No Zr1's, Z06's, Stock wheels for track use, ect....

2. Wheels Cost more (not all but some)

3. Emergency brake bracket - Has to be narrowed down with the length you narrowed down the axles. If you purchase a Fabbed 9'' from MWC he does this for you... anything else your own your own.

Last edited by SmokedOutZ28; 07-16-2009 at 09:14 AM.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:13 AM
TECH Regular

street wheels are different things to different people. I have driven on the street with 15x4's up front on many different cars over the years. to me 15x4's and 15x10's with good tires ARE street wheels. I have 17x9.5 and 17x11 tt2's on my car right now and absolutely hate the way it drives. those wide fronts catch every seam in the road and toss the car all over the place. the 15x4's drove straight and smooth. are they great in a panic stop?, no. are they good for burning corners?, no. but they will take any turns that you will encounter on the street at the POSTED speed limit. in the end, it's all good.

my ultimate street set-up would be a set of Steve's RR RT's in 17x5's and 17x12's with hoosier pro street fronts and m&h 390/40/17's. that would be an evil looking wheel and tire combo. I just can't afford a set of his wheels right now. but, maybe later.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:51 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by sr71
street wheels are different things to different people. I have driven on the street with 15x4's up front on many different cars over the years. to me 15x4's and 15x10's with good tires ARE street wheels. I have 17x9.5 and 17x11 tt2's on my car right now and absolutely hate the way it drives. those wide fronts catch every seam in the road and toss the car all over the place. the 15x4's drove straight and smooth. are they great in a panic stop?, no. are they good for burning corners?, no. but they will take any turns that you will encounter on the street at the POSTED speed limit. in the end, it's all good.

my ultimate street set-up would be a set of Steve's RR RT's in 17x5's and 17x12's with hoosier pro street fronts and m&h 390/40/17's. that would be an evil looking wheel and tire combo. I just can't afford a set of his wheels right now. but, maybe later.
True, but what I meant was if I were to go to my local discount tire or NTB and say hey I need a 17'' wheel for my Camaro with a 5'' backspacing they wouldn't have anything for me until weeks later.

And those are the wheels I'm looking at for another setup to use on the street. I just hate dealing with polished wheels.

Quick Reply: narrowed rear with street wheels... come in!