Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Who has the best prices on Sumitomo tires?

Old 09-16-2009, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Who has the best prices on Sumitomo tires?

I am going to pick up a set for my truck in 255/40/zr17 and was going to go through Tire Rack but their site will NEVER process my order. Who else can I go through to get these tires for the same price?
Old 09-16-2009, 03:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Online Tires has them for under $100
Old 09-16-2009, 04:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to hijack, but how are this brand of tire on our fbodies? I have seen TONS of stangs running them.

Like these for instance.
https://www.onlinetires.com/products...z-iii+98y.html
Old 09-16-2009, 05:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TurdsOfMayhem
Not to hijack, but how are this brand of tire on our fbodies?
besides the III they're generally considered garbage. just what i've read.

EDIT: i'm editing this to avoid hassle. PERSONALLY, i think they are okay for driving around but not great for performance.

Last edited by therealcreeper; 09-17-2009 at 11:42 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
A lot of people don't like them because they say they don't bite well and they get a lot of wheel spin, and then again a LOT of people run them and fine them fine. I have a set on my weekend car T/a and I have a set in 22" on my daily driver f150, no problems what so ever. Their considered a cheaper tire, like kumho, etc. Tomz Wheels used to have killer prices on these but I think he is sick and they are shut down now?
Old 09-17-2009, 02:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Great review. Care to explain why?
Old 09-17-2009, 11:47 AM
Teching In

I'm running HTR ZII's on my SRT-4. I'm quite impressed with them; most definately the best bang for the buck. The grip seems pretty much the same as my previous BFG's, but road noise is FAR lower.

I like them so much that now I want a set for my Z28. The problem is that Sumitomo HTR ZII's and III's do not come in a 315 / 17" size. In fact I think the largest size available is 285.

However the HTR-Z model comes in 315. Can anybody comment on the HTR-Z? It's hard to find any other decently priced tire larger than 295.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
I have a set on my weekend car T/a and I have a set in 22" on my daily driver f150, no problems what so ever.
glad you're happy with them. i know people with them who love them, and others who hate them. they're very affordable (especially in 315's) so for a daily driver or weekend car i can see how it would be a good buy. i've never heard anything good about them performance-wise though. also wet weather seems to be a problem for some.

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd
Great review. Care to explain why?
if you would like I'd be more than happy to pull up the 20 or 30 threads that have given me this view of them. I'm not saying they are entirely useless, they're just not typically regarded as a GOOD tire. once again for some people they are fine, for the performance enthusiast however(as most people on this site are) there are better options. can't argue with the price though.

Last edited by therealcreeper; 09-17-2009 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Cool

if you would like I'd be more than happy to pull up the 20 or 30 threads that have given me this view of them. I'm not saying they are entirely useless, they're just not typically regarded as a GOOD tire. once again for some people they are fine, for the performance enthusiast however(as most people on this site are) there are better options. can't argue with the price though.
All I am saying is their decent tires for the money and I am happy with the two sets I own, I won't post another response on this but...

So 20 or 30 posts on one internet forum is going to sway your decision, wow, your easily swayed, how about 9,953,888 miles worth of owners surveys of the htr zII? In that many miles they ranked 7.3 out of 10 owners said they would buy again, but don't take my word, read tirerack's feedback:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Model=HTR+Z+II
read the other sumitomo's feedback too while your their.

Coke or Pepsi, Bud or Coors, White or Black, Salt or Pepper....on and on and on...

AND the OP asked WHO had the best price, not what our opinions of these were...

Last edited by 99'CajunFirehawk157; 09-17-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:18 PM
Staging Lane

Im also going to be needing tires soon to replace the factory goodyears on my 00 SS. Do these look the same width on the car as the stockers or are they gonna look narrower on the rim? Im not too worried about performance because I plan on having fun with them and dont care to smoke up high dollar tires. I saw that Maxxis has a tire that is fairly cheap, anyone have experience with those? I just want a decent tire thats cheap but reliable.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:40 PM
TECH Addict

All I am saying is their decent tires for the money and I am happy with the two sets I own
i already stated that some people are happy with them. they're cheap and they work. they're just not considered a great performance tire.

So 20 or 30 posts on one internet forum is going to sway your decision, wow, your easily swayed...read tirerack's feedback:
i may have written posts in my earlier response. i meant to say threads. i'm sure their are hundreds of posts with people unhappy with them. i said GENERALLY they are disliked. not always. not everyone. i can't comment because i've never personally owned them, but most of the things i've read/heard from respected friends/members have been negative. i trust people who actually race and take their cars to the track over people on tire rack who have probably never had a high performance tire.

AND the OP asked WHO had the best price, not what our opinions of these were...
no, but this guy did...

Originally Posted by TurdsOfMayhem
Not to hijack, but how are this brand of tire on our fbodies? I have seen TONS of stangs running them.

IN CONCLUSION: they are fine for general use. they're cheap and they'll last a while. if you're looking for a performance tire however, I PERSONALLY would look elsewhere. i've ridden in a completely stock 95 mustang with them, and i felt that they left a lot to be desired.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:54 PM
Teching In

I bought my 98 z28 with a set of HTRZ's on them and they can't hook up for ****. A stock car with 3.73's and it spins at 2500rpms in 2nd gear some times, no traction in first even after a burnout. I've broke them loose in 3rd gear on the freeway before as well.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by t u n e
I'm running HTR ZII's on my SRT-4. I'm quite impressed with them; most definately the best bang for the buck. The grip seems pretty much the same as my previous BFG's, but road noise is FAR lower.

I like them so much that now I want a set for my Z28. The problem is that Sumitomo HTR ZII's and III's do not come in a 315 / 17" size. In fact I think the largest size available is 285.

However the HTR-Z model comes in 315. Can anybody comment on the HTR-Z? It's hard to find any other decently priced tire larger than 295.
My buddy has the 315 HTR-Z's on his '04 Mustang GT. They're an ok tire. But, he's also only got intake, midpipe, and catback on it. So, he's still looking at less than 300 crank hp. If you want a decently priced tire, I'd just go with 315 Nitto DR's. I got mine, for my 17x11 ZR1's, on my Camaro, for $340 shipped through Discount tire. Which I didn't think was too bad, for a tire that I never had any traction problems, at all, with.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

What do you expect out of a sub $100 315 tire? They get the job done.

They're a great DD tire but don't expect your car to dead hook or even slightly hook. They last a long time, look good and are a inexpensive tire.

If you need something that hooks a little better but will still last a while get some Nitto 315 Drs for about $100 more
Old 09-19-2009, 03:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

I guess I should have specified in my original post. These are going on a truck that makes less than 215rwhp and even less torque. It will never be much faster than it already is. Its my DD and I just need something that will work fine, no matter the weather, for 3 seasons out of the year. I'll get some other tires for the winter.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

for that they will be fine

Search this Thread