Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Go Summer or Go Home?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Go Summer or Go Home?

I need new street tires, and I'm having a hard time deciding what to do. I have stock LS1 power now, and I live in Western Ky-where it gets sorta cold during the winter and sometimes it snows (I would need an all-season tire during the winter).

Should I:

1.) get a really good UHP All-Season Tire for all the time?

or

2.) get a set of good UHP All-Season for winter and a set of max performance summer for spring, summer, and fall + another set of rims so I can switch them out?

Basically, do you all think the extra performance of a summer tire compared to a good UHP All-Season is worth paying the extra $$ for an average driver?
Old 09-19-2009, 10:57 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

No. BF Goodrich G-force Super Sport A/S will do what you need year round.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RevGTO
No. BF Goodrich G-force Super Sport A/S will do what you need year round.
Thank you RevGTO! This is the stuff I want to hear. People's opinions on A/S and Summer tires.

I know that an All-Season will do what I need year-round (I currently have Dunlop SP Sport 5000 A/S). However, is the extra "safety" (and cost) of a summer tire worth it for that one time when I have to slam on the brakes to avoid a collision?

Any other suggestions on the best Ultra High Performance All-Seasons or the best Summer tire to get?

Sorry bout all the questions, I just like to know.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:58 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Again, no. A tire like the BFG SS/AS is sticky in warm dry weather, has good tread design for water dispersal, doesn't get hard in the cold, and has a pretty stiff sidewall. You're not giving up much to most summer tires.

If I was living year-round at home in San Diego, I'd use a summer tire. But where you have four seasons, this tire and the comparable Goodyear F1 A/S can't be beat.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For the cost of the extra set of rims and tires you could probably find a cheap winter beater with better gas mileage
Of course that's assuming you have the extra space for the stored fbody or winter beater during the summer.

(go summer or go home)
Old 09-21-2009, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
For the cost of the extra set of rims and tires you could probably find a cheap winter beater with better gas mileage
That's actually a pretty good idea. I hadn't thought about it, but you're right, you can find decently reliable cars for the same amount that I was considering spending on an extra set of tires and rims (My neighbor comes to mind, who just got a 2000 Honda Civic for $1500). However, I don't have anywhere to store an extra car, so that's basically out.

Truth is, I'm seriously considering just getting one of the better All-Seasons (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus, Pirelli PZero Nero M+S, BFGoodrich G-force Super Sport A/S) and being done with it. If I had unlimited funds it would be different: I would definitely get a set of summer tires and rims as well. Who knows, in the future I may be able to do that, but for now I don't think the extra performance is worth the extra cost to me.