Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Swapping LT1 rear brakes onto an LS1 car for better drag wheel clearance

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Swapping LT1 rear brakes onto an LS1 car for better drag wheel clearance

I'm splitting this off from this thread.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-ti...dy-w-pics.html
Originally Posted by litemup02
I had to grind for my rear pro stars..though i didnt take off as much as you. I sometimes wonder if i'll ever have a problem. Seems to be alot of people have done it with no trouble. What would be needed to put LT1 calipers on the rear of my car?
I plan on buying 15x8 Weld Draglites with a 5.5" backspace to match the 15x3.5s that I already have. I know that LS1 rear brakes require a significant amount of grinding to allow those wheels to fit, maybe more than what would be considered safe. I also know that LT1 brakes are smaller and therefore require less grinding. What parts would litemup02 and I need to swap to LT1 brakes on the back? And what kind of expense would we be looking at?
I have also read that the brakes from a Grand Am/Grand Prix are even smaller and should be able to be swapped on there. Any truth to this?
Old 09-20-2009, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With 15x8's you wouldnt even have to take off as much as i did. And i think mine are fine but was just curious.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:52 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to change backing plates and brakes.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to change to heavier brakes that stop worse. Either make the wheels you want fit or just purchase wheels that fit the brakes without modification.

If you want drag wheels, our Bogart drag wheels can be built for a direct fit. If you want street/strip wheels, we can build you direct fit street/strip wheels as well. Even if you wanted the wheels in a road race version, we can directly build them to fit your stock brakes.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Steve, I appreciate all the advice that you give in this section. I realize that Bogart drag wheels A) are lighter and B) fit over LS1 calipers with no modifications. I know that the price argument is always reagarded as invalid by you because of the effort and expense involved in modifying LS1 brakes and the measures that would be needed to accomplish comparable weight reduction (tubular k-member, etc), so I will just say that I have always liked the Weld Draglite 90 series economy wheels and would love to be able to see them on my car. As far as LT1 brakes being inadequate, they seem to work fine for the cars that carry them from the factory. They don't seem to be sliding into trees, phone poles and other cars en masse due to an inability to stop. Thanks anyway though, I really do like your products (especially the D10).
Old 09-20-2009, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had lt1 brakes on my 98 TA , and they were fine. Most of your stopping power is from the front brakes anyway. I have since changed rear ends so I am back to the ls brakes now. I still have the ground down lt1 brakes if you are interested in them.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:29 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tommy,

Thank you for the kind response. I totally understand where you're coming from. I’m happy to see you’ve read past comments.

If our wheels or other fitting wheels are not what you're looking for, there's nothing wrong with your choice. As I did suggest though, I'd reconsider changing to LT1 brakes just to clear a drag wheel. If you're only using the wheels every so often, my point was it was a shame to switch to lessor performing brakes.

It's not that they won't stop you, of course they will. The problem is you're going to be jumping through quite a bit of hoops just to get them to fit just so you can run a drag wheel occasionally.

To put things in perspective for you, you're going to have to press the stock bearings off the axles, replace the wedding rings and seals and bearings if you damage them. You'll be replacing the stock pieces with the LT1 brackets and brakes. You need to run 3.25" studs which will look rather odd on stock or other aftermarket wheels. After you're done, you'll still have to slightly clean the caliper fins on the LT1 brakes or run a spacer.

My point was that since its quite a bit of work and not inexpensive to do so, you may as well either make due with what you have and make them fit the LS1 brakes or spend a little more and get something that fits easier.

Last comment and word of advice; do NOT use a 15x8 wheel unless you're running a smaller tire than what you easily can run. For example, a 275/50 fits on the car easily but is not a good choice for a small 8" wheel. Your sidewall will be squished providing a lower performance level vs. a 10" wheel. You realistically need a MIN. of 8.5 if you wanted to run those tires. Can you stuff them on there...sure you can. Many people do things they shouldn't do.

The above posters comment, most of the stopping power is normally from your front brakes. BUT, using four better brakes will allow you to stop shorter. Using a skinny wheel will also force your car to use more rear-braking as the fronts will have a tendency to skid. If the fronts skid...you only have the rears to help stop the car. If they are fading or don't provide the same quality of stopping power, your car WILL take longer to stop.

I’m not here to argue with anyone, just trying to give each advice and assistance.

Good luck!
Old 09-21-2009, 06:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice Steve.
Right now I'm using a 245/50/16 Nitto drag radial and am hooking up fine with that; I have 2.73 gears and a stock converter (when I had the 2800 stall I was dead hooking with that also, mid 1.8 quick times). I've seen guys with a lot more power than my car pull 1.5-1.6 60 ft times on 255 wide ET Street radials, so I don't think I'll need a 10" tire any time soon.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:35 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the middle of doing this swap and Steve is right, its a headache since I have really nothing to go by. I did very seriously consider purchasing the Bogarts but just couldn't do the $$ right now although I'm not ruling them out someday.

I have a Strange 12 bolt and basically needed new seals so I didn't mind chiseling off the old retainer (wedding ring) and cutting off the old bearings & seals. The thing I don't know right now is how the ABS sensor will line up with the reluctor ring... Seems as though it will be a good fit although the thickness of the ls1 vs lt1 backing plates is different, plus no spacer for LT1 axle assembly.

Then you have the issue of a different e-brake setup. It seems as though this should work by just connecting the cables to the new ebrake & but we'll see.

Quick Reply: Swapping LT1 rear brakes onto an LS1 car for better drag wheel clearance