Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Need opinions on rims for GTA

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 11:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need opinions on rims for GTA

Well I finally got around to budgeting for some appearance mods for the car.

The first thing that will be changed are the rims. I currently sport a set of C5 y2k rims that have been on the car since 2005. I have spacers up front which I would love to get rid of and I am currently running a 4th gen rear in the back. The rims are 18x9.5 front and back but I want to go with 18x8.5 front and 18x10.5 on the back.

I really like the HP Lightning but I am not sure if the rim suits the car. Thus before I pull the trigger and buy some rims I want to get some other opinions.
Here is the car with the current rims/tires. Let me know what U think would suit the car and if possible I would love to see the HP Lightning hypersilvers in a photoshop with my car.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, the Y2K's look much better than I would have thought.

I think the Lightnings might look good on the car. They sort of have the cross lace thing going on that the original GTA wheels have.

The ADR split-5 spokes might look nice too, I forget the name of them, but they're all over ebay and easy to find. I was just looking at them last night, which is why I mention them now.

Nice GTA by the way. I've always loved them, I used to have an 88.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:50 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah I was hoping to go with a mesh type wheel. As for the finish thats still up in the air depending on the wheel I end up going with. But thats why I also asked for opinions...some times I get an idea in my head and it restricts me from looking at other potential options. I have seen a lot of rims that look okay in a picture but when you see them on a car they really make the car stand out in a good way.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:36 PM
Staging Lane

Here is a pic of what I am hoping to go with altho I like some of the BBS stuff too....

Old 10-08-2009, 09:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by intake68
Here is a pic of what I am hoping to go with altho I like some of the BBS stuff too....

unfortunatly those aren't made any more, good luck if you can get your hands on a set!
Old 10-08-2009, 04:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think you need some Smoothie II's 17x10s all they way around. That will give that GTA a good muscle car look. I just happen to know someone who has some lol
Old 10-08-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Junkie

1: bad *** car

2: i think the hp would look good, but some ttII's would look killer
Old 10-09-2009, 09:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Eh, everybody and their dog has the TTII's! Switch it up a little and get some better, cleaner looking wheels, My smoothie II's! lol
Old 10-09-2009, 01:15 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the ideas guys. IMO the classic 5 spoke designs like a TT2 and the Coddington smoothies give a nice muscle car appearance but I am not sure I want that look for this car. Certian cars look killer with that style of rim but not sure about my 92 GTA

Its funny how the options for fbody stuff is a bit limited but if I look at the choices for a C5 vette the doors swing wide open with offerings from Boze, TrueForged and the list goes on.

I just dont want to break the bank and cough up 4K for rims

And thanks for the heads up on the HP Lightnings. There are a few guys that still have some in stock but you are right they are no longer being made by HP at this time....
Old 10-09-2009, 04:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

check out TSW.com the Snettertons are similiar to the HP's but without rivets