Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Found my vibration

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 03:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Found my vibration

Well around 70mph i have had a vibration a for a while now. After i had them balanced at a tire store. I mostly do city driving so didn't really care about it. Well with the CTC trip i had to find out what it was. I thought it was the drive shaft or the rear tires. Well went to base shop today to check my balance and add some gear oil to the rear end. Well im sure it was my rear tires now. The right rear needed 2.75 and the left rear needed 1.00 with the weights on it. That's way more then enough to cause a bad vibration. So i took the weights off and and tried it again and it didn't need anywhere near as much weight. So i put the weight on it that was needed and it seem smoother in city but i haven't had it up yo 70mph yet to know 100%, but im sure its good. So this was 1st time i was lazy and let a tire store balance my tires and i will stick to me doing it my self
Old 10-06-2009, 06:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an 87 IROC that had the same problem and it was the rear tires.....I could not believe it, I thought for sure it was something in the front end of the car.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had the same thing happen but i spotted it the next day in the fwy.

and sure enough they forgot to balance the rear wheel and tires... just a small mistake got fixed and no vibrations at 70-80mph anymore
Old 10-06-2009, 06:53 PM

You would be surprised how many DUMBAS& tire guys there are out there....

we get re-balances all the time from different shops from tech's who did it completely wrong.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish I knew how to balance tires, or knew of a good shop. I have a slight vibration on the highway sometimes, and you should see how many weights they have inside of each wheel. It's rediculous.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:10 PM

The amount of weights really does not matter, true having 3oz of weight is less desirable than .5oz, but some tires require more than others.

It's when they are in multiple spots that it's bad...

Next time, walk outside and watch the person do it. See the balancer and watch the numbers. It PISSES me off to watch people do it, but if I was that person...I'd be watching me.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:14 PM
Teching In

congrats, but with all fbods... there will be another rattle lol
Old 10-06-2009, 07:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

I did tires for 3 year in HS and college. I know how to do it. I always go on base and do it my self. The one time i was lazy this happened lol Its really easy to do. I can show someone once and they are good to go. It was just funny i took there weight off and it got cut in half on what it needed. I see people now at tires stores doing what i was told not to do. I was told to keep ya weights together. If ya put weight on wheel and it needs some on the other side of the wheel pull the weight off and move it over a few inches until it's right and not put weights all over the wheel.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by SIC LSX
I see people now at tires stores doing what i was told not to do. I was told to keep ya weights together. If ya put weight on wheel and it needs some on the other side of the wheel pull the weight off and move it over a few inches until it's right and not put weights all over the wheel.

I don't think it's that they're told to...I think it's that they're too stupid too?

more than half of our "come-backs" are from stupid **** like that.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tspence45
I wish I knew how to balance tires, or knew of a good shop. I have a slight vibration on the highway sometimes, and you should see how many weights they have inside of each wheel. It's rediculous.
i 2 need to know, any equipments involved ?
Old 10-06-2009, 10:51 PM
10 Second Club

glad you got it man
Old 10-07-2009, 04:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Not to highjack, but...I had a similar awesome experience with a local dealership (Van Chevrolet SUCKS!). I took in some wheels to be balanced. I hauled them in my truck to avoid any chance of the dealership messing them mounting the rims on my car. When I came back to pick them up, they had stacked the rims on top of each other. 1 wheel had a ding on the lip and 2 places on spokes where the powdercoating had been chipped off, and all 4 wheels had peeling around the hub...it looked like they had tried to remove the center caps with a screwdriver. They basically denied doing it, the service manager looked at them for 30 seconds and then walked off, so I told them they would never get business from me again, paid my bill and left. I then contacted someone in HR cuz I got more pissed the more I thought about it. She asked me to send pics, which I did, and then told me she had scheduled a meeting with the service manager. I have never been able to get in contact with her since. After waiting about 3 wks to mount the wheels, i finally put them on since I fugured there was never going to be compensation...and they were fuking out of balance! I then had to take them off the car, take them elsewhere and pay another $45 to have them balanced.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

damn thats nuts!
Old 10-07-2009, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

i'd go ballistic over something like that. any time i let anyone else touch my truck i always stay and watch if they f*** up then they pay for it...
Old 10-07-2009, 07:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, i was retarded and made the ASSumption that if anyone would stand behind their work, it would be a dealership. Next time I'll wait for a day that I have time to stay with them.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

guess my drive shaft may need to be balanced becaust its stillt here at 70mph. I rumbels in and out over and over again. Everywhere else is a ton better but at 70mph its still the same. it has 124,000 miles on it and i dont thing the u joints have ever been replaced LOL. Ive checked and there is no play in the U-joints. Sucks because the out place in the area that do dravshafts are a bunch of *** holes that over charge because they no they are the only ones in town tha tcan do it. I can do u joints myself but i can't balance it If im going to have them balance it im going to have to have them do u joints $120.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

That sucks man. It blows when you have to have someone else do work that requires specialty equipment. Might as well plan on gettin F'd in the A.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by k5383
I don't think it's that they're told to...I think it's that they're too stupid too?

more than half of our "come-backs" are from stupid **** like that.
no we are told not to do that. thats called counter balancing. most tire techs, myself included know not to do that
Old 10-08-2009, 12:26 PM
12 Second Club

Sometimes you might have to dismount the tire and remount it 180 degrees to see if that helps balance it or not to use alot of weights. Its alot of work-but to have a happy customer and have the trust you with their hard work is worth it. But also to look for any runout as it is being balanced helps.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

yup ive had to do that a lot on bigger truck tires!