Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Need Technical Spacer/Adapter Help w/ Stock Wheels, Want Lower Offset

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 12:00 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Technical Spacer/Adapter Help w/ Stock Wheels, Want Lower Offset

I just picked up another F-Body, an Onyx Black 2000 M6 SS, and I will be putting some nice wheels on it down the road, but I also have other things on my plate right now so that will have to wait. In the meantime I want to maximize the look with the stock chrome 10 spokes. I really like the looks of the stock 10 spokes in chrome, but especially after lowering, the offset is just too high on them to look good IMO. I want to add some spacers/adapters to effectively lower the offset on them, but I don't know the offset on the stock wheels, nor do I know the maximum offset recommended for the front/rear.

A few notes...

- I plan on using adapters that bolt to the stock lugs, and then have another set of lugs to bolt the wheel to. I know this isn't the safest way, but I feel it's much safer than thick spacers. I am willing to accept the risks involved with a setup like this for now.

- I know this will add rotational mass. This is a daily driver, so I'm not trying to squeeze every last 1/10th out of it, so I'm okay with the added rotational mass.

With that said, what are the offsets on the stock wheels? Seems like I've heard 56mm before, and what I'm basing my calculations off of. What offset brings the wheels out close to flush but not sticking out past the fenders? Seems like on my Trans Am I had +38 and it fit nicely. If the stock wheels are in the mid-high 50mm offset range, I need to add around 20mm of offset, which is just over 3/4". 1" adapters would be just over 25mm, which may work well for the rear, but may be too high for the front because it may put it into the lower 30mm range.

So I'm thinking 3/4" adapters in the front, if the stock wheels are +56, it would bring me to will bring me to +37. That should work if my memory is serving me correctly.

And in the rear with 1" adapters, if the stock wheels are +56, it would bring me to +30-31. Is that too low of an offset? Should I go 3/4" all around?

Thanks for any technical help on this. The wheels I want are going to run me a couple thousand dollars, so for now a hundred bucks in adapters to make the car look a lot better until then has me pretty excited about this new-to-me car looking tip top.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:45 PM

I searched high and low before posting this too, and am still searching. Haven't found any direct answers to my original post, but I did find one post saying the stock SS 10 spokes are a 50mm offset wheel. Can anyone verify this?

If so, then I don't need nearly as much as I thought I did. That means I mean somewhere in the 12-15mm range. An adapter will not clear without replacing the stock lugs for shorter ones, so if I'm going to have to replace studs anyway, for safety's sake I'd rather replace all the studs with hardened studs that are a bit longer.

If the stock 10 spokes are indeed 50mm, I think I'm going to look into using 14mm spacers (hopefully H&R Trak+ hubcentrics if I can find them for sale in our bolt pattern, seems impossible so far) and 1/2" longer hardened studs.

Would this setup present any issues in the way of fitment or safety?
Old 10-18-2009, 04:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

With the H&R 1" hub spacers you'll need to roll the fender lips and need an adjustable PHB; that if the wheels have a +50 offset. If it's a +56 offset you might not need to do either one.
FYI,this is on lowered camaro.

Correction, 1" not 20mm.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 10-19-2009 at 12:44 AM.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm not sure about the SS wheels, but I have WS6 wheels and I'm using the H&R 25mm(1") spacer/adapter on the rear wheels. With the 1" more offset they sit perfectly inline with the edge of the fenders.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Give me the SS wheels now.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by SeanT/A
Give me the SS wheels now.
They're for sale if you want them Sean. No curb rash on any of them, new center caps, three with the finish in great shape, one that is flaking a little bit in the tighter spots where the spokes meet the lip in a few places. They'll come with four Eagle F1 GS tires mounted, two are bald, and will also come with two brand new never mounted Nitto 555s to replace the two bald tires (and you could rechrome the one wheel at that time if you wanted because it's one of the two that have a bald tire on it, be a perfect time to refinish them). I'd let the whole set go for $500. If you're in Nashville sometime and want to to take them off my hands let me know.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:15 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by josh99ta
They're for sale if you want them Sean. No curb rash on any of them, new center caps, three with the finish in great shape, one that is flaking a little bit in the tighter spots where the spokes meet the lip in a few places. They'll come with four Eagle F1 GS tires mounted, two are bald, and will also come with two brand new never mounted Nitto 555s to replace the two bald tires (and you could rechrome the one wheel at that time if you wanted because it's one of the two that have a bald tire on it, be a perfect time to refinish them). I'd let the whole set go for $500. If you're in Nashville sometime and want to to take them off my hands let me know.
Thats a deal...May have to take you up on that. The T/A is gettin some work done this winter though. THe glass fell outa the top and its got a oil drip somewhere. Gotta clean it up and check it out. I need a pic of what it would look like with the wheels. It may help me sell the idea to Pop.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:00 AM

I love the 10 spokes on the 'bird bodies. On Camaros they look like stock wheels, but on 'birds they look aftermarket for some reason.

http://www.tnfbody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10571
Old 10-19-2009, 08:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

3/4" all the way around will work fine, giving you the affective offset of 37 mm.

The Fikses on my Berger are 38 mm all four corners. . .

Now granted yes you could run the 1" adapters in back, giving you and affective 30 mm offset, but you will most likely need the roller the quarter lip for that.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm very interested in seeing how this looks once you get those adapters installed. I've thought about installing 3/4" adapters on rear 17x9.5" wheels for a while and last time I brought it up I got flamed for it.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Also interested to see this, my 10 spokes look terrible as well, especially in the rear. I took the Fikse's/Drag radials off to run my 10 spokes with good treaded tires with all this rain we have recently and its really fugly lol.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:45 PM

Well, looks like I won't be doing this actually. For good spacers/adapters/hardened lugs I'd be tying up a good bit of money. For not much more I can score some decent wheels (no iForged, but there are some affordable wheel setups out there in the $450-650 range that look good), so instead of tying up $300 in a stock wheels setup to get a better fitment, I'm going aftermarket, then selling my chrome 10 spokes to recoup the costs. It'll be a wash in the end and I get a bit more uniqueness rather than rolling stock wheels.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:45 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I'd still be interested in doing this on my new wheels. I picked up a set of the OE wheels machined face/black vents 17x9.5s all around and would like to push the rears out about 3/4". I found a spacer I want to go with, but on this 12 bolt the hubs are pretty much nonexistant to run the hubcentric ring on the adapter spacer. So, is it safe to run one that is hubcentric to the inner wheel bore but not the axle hub (just the lugs keeping the adapter spacer centered)?
Old 10-20-2009, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by josh99ta
Well, looks like I won't be doing this actually. For good spacers/adapters/hardened lugs I'd be tying up a good bit of money. For not much more I can score some decent wheels (no iForged, but there are some affordable wheel setups out there in the $450-650 range that look good), so instead of tying up $300 in a stock wheels setup to get a better fitment, I'm going aftermarket, then selling my chrome 10 spokes to recoup the costs. It'll be a wash in the end and I get a bit more uniqueness rather than rolling stock wheels.
Old school...OZ Monte Carlos. /thread
Old 10-20-2009, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts...10-5-rear.html
Crome Z06- $400
Old 10-21-2009, 08:48 PM

Already scored some other wheels Sean. Traded the 10 spokes to James. If you want them he's the man to go to for them.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't do this to me man, pics! (stock wheels or not)
Old 10-22-2009, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
Don't do this to me man, pics! (stock wheels or not)
Stolen.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Wish I would have seen this thread earlier.
Eibach sells a 15mm hubcentric spacer kit for cheap that includes new longer studs.

Oh well, post pics of the new wheels when you get them.

Quick Reply: Need Technical Spacer/Adapter Help w/ Stock Wheels, Want Lower Offset