Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Corvette, Mini-Tub, widened Y2Ks, problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette, Mini-Tub, widened Y2Ks, problems

I'm currently in the process of mini-tubbing my 98 'vette so that I can run 345/35/18s. I decided to go with widened Y2K wheels. I bought them as 18x12, however when I measured them inside bead to inside bead (if that is how you do that) I discovered that they are actually 11.5". I was, however, able to mount the tires just fine.

My problem is that there is some significant interference between the rim and the upper control arm. When the suspension has no weight on it (as is the case when its jacked up) I cannot mount the wheel as the wheel comes in contact with the upper control arm. When the suspension is compressed the wheel doesn't contact the upper control arm but there isn't much clearance and there is no way I would attempt to drive like that. I see some options:

spacers, lowering, limiting shock travel

The Y2k wheel sits in about .75" inch more than the z06 wheel. If I use a 3/4" spacer I shouldn't have any clearance issues. However, while the wheel would be flush with the fender, a 345 has no option but to stick out a little.

I should be able to use a combination of spacers, lowering, and limiting shock travel. I was wondering if anybody else has encountered this problem (of course they have) and how they resolved it.

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-22-2009, 01:16 AM
On The Tree

Anybody?
Old 10-22-2009, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

I know it can be done, I've seen a 'tubbed vette running huge tires (don't know actually how big). I'm sure someone here will chime in soon enough.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:07 AM
On The Tree

As far as I know a 345/35/18 is the widest 18 inch performance tire available. Is anybody aware of something wider?