Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

wheel studs

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel studs

well i was driving down the road the other day, luckily at 10 mph....next thing i know, the back of the car just drops! i see my ******* tire fly passed me! so anyways, two studs broke and the other three just all backed off at the same exact time as they were literally laying next to eachother on the street.
So i am taking this as an oppurtunity to put the arp wheel studs in. i have never done this, is this something that i can do in driveway/garage with just your normal tools? Do the backing plates etc have to come off? I honestly have no clue how to do this, so any help is appreciated. thanks
Old 11-11-2009, 09:55 PM
Launching!

The studs are press in so all u should have to do is take the wheel off and press them out. IT IS A BITCH!!!! I think u can get a specialty tool at your local auto parts store but I'm not sure the only way i have ever done this is to just beat the **** out of it till u get it out then slide the new one in and put a spare open lug nut on NOT A CAPPED one and run the stud in.

LIKE I SAID ITS A BITCH!!!!!!!
Old 11-12-2009, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dwfronk
LIKE I SAID ITS A BITCH!!!!!!!
great....
Old 11-14-2009, 05:59 PM
Teching In

Just get you BFH out!!! (;
Old 11-14-2009, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

getting them out was easy....about one swing per stud....getting them in was a mother ******! after i got it them all in i go to put the tires on and i was sent the wrong lug nuts...not long enough so im pissed
Old 11-14-2009, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Yes - by default most ARP's are 2.5 compared to 1.5 that are stock.

They assume you will put drag wheels on and have to run open lugs plus they are much stronger than stock.

In the long run if you do put drag wheels on you will be safe with the longer lugs and alway pass inspection.

Some lugs are break away so as you tighten them down the tip will break out. So in the meantime if you have that type just screw one on and see if it breaks out. If so use what you have until you get the longer studs.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:33 AM
On The Tree

the lug that i got split perfectly in half down the entire length of it. I am just going to have to get some longer ones. I will eventually get drag rims, when i get the money but for now its just gonna be stock firebird rims. i will probably run the open end lugs on them but until then i need the longer ones, for the other rims