Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Winter / All-Season Tires - What are you running in the cold months?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Winter / All-Season Tires - What are you running in the cold months?

Due to some unfortunate circumstances, I'll be relying on my Camaro a lot this winter. And, as luck would have it, I need new tires. So I'm curious, for all of you guys that drive your Camaro/GTO/Firebirds/Vettes/G8s/etc. in the cold and snow, what tires do you run? I'm looking to buy this weekend. Thanks.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, let's see.

For nearly 5 years ( in the late 90's), I ran Blizzaks on my T/A. Car handled like AWD.

On my Vibe GT, I run Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3...again, the car is glued to the road. These are better than the Blizzaks I ran on my T/A, as they are of a newer design.

I just picked up Michelin Latitude X-Ice for my Enclave. While I haven't driven the car in the snow yet, I'm confident they will perform exceptionally well.

The key on a F-body - get a 16" wheel (max size). 15" is probably even better, as a narrow tire is preferred. Install the snow tires on all four corners. Steel wheels with covers are fine, but aluminum wheels are reasonably priced in 16" anyway.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Al 96 Ram Air T/A
Well, let's see.

For nearly 5 years ( in the late 90's), I ran Blizzaks on my T/A. Car handled like AWD.

On my Vibe GT, I run Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3...again, the car is glued to the road. These are better than the Blizzaks I ran on my T/A, as they are of a newer design.

I just picked up Michelin Latitude X-Ice for my Enclave. While I haven't driven the car in the snow yet, I'm confident they will perform exceptionally well.

The key on a F-body - get a 16" wheel (max size). 15" is probably even better, as a narrow tire is preferred. Install the snow tires on all four corners. Steel wheels with covers are fine, but aluminum wheels are reasonably priced in 16" anyway.
I'm rolling on stock 16s as it is, so I didn't think that would limit my options too much. I've considered Blizzaks, but the price tag is a bit high. Although, you do get what you pay for...
Old 12-03-2009, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

Think of it this way...if you only get tires, for less than $500, you avoid hitting a telephone pole.

It's cheap insurance, AND it will keep the wear and tear off of your warm weather tires.

I just spent $1,400 on winter wheels/tires for my Enclave. But the way I see it...my wife and three kids are "on the line". If I get 7 years out of them - that's $200 per year to 1) protect my $50K Buick, and 2) possibly save the life of my family.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

There are lots of options out there. If you are looking for dedicated winter tires, Nokians (Rsi, R-new version of Rsi), Hankooks (iPike), General (Altimax Arctic), Bridgestone Blizzaks (WS-60,LM-60, LM-25's), Continentals (ExtremewinterContact -New), Pirelli (WinterCarving, Scottozero), Dunlop (Graspic DS-2, DS-3-new, SP Winter Sports). All great snow tires. I like Michelin tires also, but not too much a fan of there snows. Tread patterns are not aggressive enough for me. The brands I mentioned before are all specific tires that Ive seen installed at the dealership I work for. On cars ranging from Mazda 3's to Volkwagen Beetles to Mercedes E-63 AMG's to Porsche 911 Turbo's........ No complaints from any customers with any of these. Location here is Milwaukee, WI.
If u want an all season tire..... Nokian WR-G2 or Vredestien Quatrac 3 are all season tires that also are rated as snow tires. They are stamped with the government insignia for severe service conditions, like snow tires are. Its a mountain with a snow flake in it.
Examples: My girlfriend was always afraid of driving in the snow. So I installed a set of Nokian Rsi's (winter only) on her Focus ZX5. Now she doesnt stop yelling at people to get out of her way!. I personally have a set of Nokian WR's (generation before WR-G2) on my winter car (02 Cavalier). I get alot of surprised people that just ride along with me during the winter. They cannot believe how stable the car is and the speeds I can maintain, and thats from the passengers seat. Those are only the all season tires!