Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

aftermarket wheel studs??

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 04:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket wheel studs??

are they needed for 15x10 and 15x4 wheels? my car mostly gets driven on the street and only see's the track a couple times a year... i will have DR's on the rear.. im just wondering if they are needed to make the wheels fit or can you run the stockers??
Old 01-27-2010, 06:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your running spacers, youll need them. If not, there not completely neccesary but they would be a good idea.. theyre not expensive, and easy to install.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you need the extended lugs more for the track than you do for the street. if your going to be running strong with hard launches at the track you might as well just buy some now, otherwise ive had mine on with spacers on stock studs for about 20k miles on the street now
Old 01-27-2010, 07:26 PM
TECH Addict

I was wondering the same thing. My stock ones are alittle too short for my liking with my draglites but what would be the replacement length without spacers 2.5"? Also will the close ended lugnuts i have for the welds work with those studs or do i need the open ended ones?
Old 01-27-2010, 08:01 PM
12 Second Club

12mm x 2.5(length)fronts
12mm x 3.25(length) rears

Lug nuts will need to be a shank style 12mm x 1.5 open end.

this is what i was told. i was just wondering if they are absolutely required or not.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:01 AM
Launching!

With no disrepect, you're all incorrect. The requirement for longer studs has nothing to do with track or street it has to do with thread engagement.

To be safe, you should have a thread engagment into the HEX portion of your lugs as a general rule the thickness of the stud. So if you're running 12mm studs, you should shoot for 12mm into the HEX portion. I repeat HEX portion of the lug. NOT THE SHANK PORTION. The shank portion main design isn't for tensile support holding your wheel on the car. The HEX portion is what is holding the wheel. The shank portion is the weakest area of the lug. The shank design is intended to move your sheer line inwards, not hold the wheel on the car.

So what length do you need...well that depends on what wheel you choose and how it is designed. Some wheels are thicker than others therfore stud requirments will vary accordingly.

Many of our Bogart wheels designs take into consideration stud length requirements so that super long studs are not needed as most people don't like the look with OEM and they won't work with closed acorn style lugs.

What you need to do is find out how thick the manufactures wheel center section is at the through-bolt area. Whatever measurment that is, add ~1/8" for the washers and add the thickness of the studs diameter. IF YOU"RE ADDING SPACERS, DO NOT FORGET TO ADD SPACER WIDTH INTO THE EQUATION. This will give you your mininimum required length for your studs for proper thread engagement.

To answer your other question, if you need super long studs, you're not going to like the way they look on a stock style wheel.

Steve
Engineer
SJM Manufacturing Inc.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:09 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the info. I had heard that about the shank not having strenght i just wasnt sure how long of studs i needed but that info helped.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:14 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bigj2717
Thanks for the info. I had heard that about the shank not having strenght i just wasnt sure how long of studs i needed but that info helped.
You're welcome. Once again to the others, my comments were not meant to be disrepectful to any of you.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SJMMFGINC
You're welcome. Once again to the others, my comments were not meant to be disrepectful to any of you.
An education should never be interpreted as disrespectful. Nice explanation.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:25 AM
TECH Addict

^exactly theres always somebody that knows more and it never hurts to learn the right stuff
Old 01-28-2010, 08:37 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1BADTALS1
12mm x 2.5(length)fronts
12mm x 3.25(length) rears

Lug nuts will need to be a shank style 12mm x 1.5 open end.

this is what i was told. i was just wondering if they are absolutely required or not.

so is this what is needed or not??
billet specialties for the wheels 15x10 7.5bs and 15x4 1.75 i believe for the bs..
Old 01-28-2010, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

If read what they saying^ it's not necessary on the street but recommended. If the hex part is not fully engaged the you should replace them. Measure the thickness of your wheel to figure out what studs to get
Old 01-29-2010, 03:14 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bigj2717
If read what they saying^ it's not necessary on the street but recommended. If the hex part is not fully engaged the you should replace them. Measure the thickness of your wheel to figure out what studs to get
i read what they said... as I'm the one who started this thread to begin with.
Obviously if they are recommended I'm going to get some. there has to be somebody on this forum that has BS wheels in that size and has aftermarket wheels studs...i was just wondering what size THEY were running so i could buy the same ones. K thx have a nice day.