Can chrome wheels be powdercoated?
Old 04-02-2010, 06:51 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes it can.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its possible, but I dont recommend it. My car currently has y2k chrome replicas on it that the previous owner had powder coated gloss black over the chrome. The inside of the drum (on all 4 wheels) is bubbling and flaking/sheeting off. Plus the center caps dont stay in place.... the first time I put different tires on, I found the caps had been glued in place. LOL. The wheels were made by Topline, which is now Verde. I dont know if it was just crappy chrome work, crappy powder coating or the combo of the two. I would recommend blasting the chrome off, then powder coating for a much better finish. Or just find a new set of wheels that are painted, and not chromed, then powder coat those. The paint (when scuffed up) would act much better as a primer than chrome does. These issues are why I just ordered a set of CCW's. SOOOO tired of the crappy replicas and all there issues.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:34 PM
Teching In

Default Powdercoating Chrome

I have a powdercoating business and I would not coat over chrome. It would work as long as the chrome does not flake off but that tends to happen over time. I would sand blast the chrome off and coat right to the wheels. I have done this lots of times. I can get wheels sandblasted for about 30 bucks a set where I live im sure you could find someone to do it for you cheap
Old 04-09-2010, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tirefrier
I have a powdercoating business and I would not coat over chrome. It would work as long as the chrome does not flake off but that tends to happen over time. I would sand blast the chrome off and coat right to the wheels. I have done this lots of times. I can get wheels sandblasted for about 30 bucks a set where I live im sure you could find someone to do it for you cheap
I agree. You don't want to put a coat of ANYTHING over anything existing. You want to powdercoat to CLEAN bare metal. This is the only way to ensure the visual quality and durability of powdercoat.
And have them SANDblasted, NOT beadblasted or shotblasted. This will just grind the impurities, dirt, and grease right into the metal, and the powdercoat will come back with pinholes/fisheyes. Also, make sure whomever powdercoats these "out-gases" the wheels. Aluminum is porous, and needs to be in the oven for awhile to get all the air out of the pores in the metal. This will cause pinholes too, I had a set of wheels powdercoated years ago and 2 of the 4 came out with pinholes...they weren't out-gassed long enough.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:09 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for all the replies guys, its all helpful and probably saved me some upset