Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Temp spare for big brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 10:14 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Temp spare for big brakes

About a month ago, I had a front flat. I took out the spare and discovered it did not fit the SSBC big brakes I have. Pretty dumb of me to have not checked this before.

After the hell I experienced that night, I vowed to get a temp spare that clears it. After some searching here, I discovered the late model GTO temp spare is a 17 inch and pics I saw showed it as pretty deep. I acquired one from 68birdls1. I met him in Jacksonville on the way down to Ultra Music Festival in Miami. Nice fella!

I finally tried it out. It fits great.

I’m using the SSBC 4 piston/13 inch brake kit. The caliper seems to stick out pretty far and to get the ZR1 wheels to clear, a 1/4 inch spacer is required. It’s also required with the GTO spare. I would imagine that with the Wilwood big brake kit, the spacer insn't needed.

Bolting up. There’s been some chatter here about the bolt pattern being slightly different. I did have to use some GM style lug nuts as the studs are longer than stock and my lugnuts are acorn style. The wheel fit the lugs, bolted up and centered just fine.

I would even say this wheel would work well as drag wheels.

There is but one issue. The GTO temp tire is bigger than the original. It will NOT fit in the quarter panel well for storage. More on that soon. These cars-each solution creates a new problem that needs a new solution....

Old 04-03-2010, 08:18 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I need a spare. I dropped in a pothole and ripped up the tire's sidewall. You ain't gonna plug that.