Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Can't decide on a tire for good tire life?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 07:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't decide on a tire for good tire life?

I'm looking at some 275/40/17's from the local Costco. They have tires on sale cheap. Right now they have a promotion for $70 off a set of 4 plus $100 rebate on Bridgestones and asked about those.

They suggested some Potenza RE760's. The treadware rating on those is 340.

I currently have the Bridgestone Potenza Grid G019's on my car with a treadware rating of 440 and they last FOREVER! After 2 - 3 years they are still almost brand new.

What kind of Performance All-Seasons can I stick on my car with a treadware rating of 400+? I'll go with a non-Bridgestone tire if I can find the right tire.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:40 PM
Staging Lane

Actually the G019's I have on the car now are 460 treadware rating.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dude, if you're over a 400 treadwear...you don't have much fun driving do you?

I got about 45-50K miles (maybe a little more) out of my Firestone Firehawk Wide Ovals...I'm very strongly considering the RE760's this time.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
Dude, if you're over a 400 treadwear...you don't have much fun driving do you?

I got about 45-50K miles (maybe a little more) out of my Firestone Firehawk Wide Ovals...I'm very strongly considering the RE760's this time.
The tires are on stock 16's and I don't race or drive hard... normally. These 460 treadware tires are stiff and not very grippy. They do the job but slip easily especially in wet conditions.
I am surprised you got so much out of your Firehawks. That's awesome. I probably shouldn't worry about wearing out the RE760's that fast then because they are the same rating as the Firehawk WO's. If you have a costco near you they have a set of 275/40/17 RE760's installed and warranty/lifetime rotations for $690 out the door. Cheap.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Be careful when comparing tread wear ratings. They are not uniform across brands. Tread wear ratings are fine if you are comparing the same brand tire, but don't try to compare a Bridgestone to a Michelin with the tread wear rating.

Correct me if I am wrong, but COSTCO is owned by wal-mart right? I would not recommend buying tires from Sam's or wal-mart. I have been working for a major tire dealer for the last 5 years and I can tell you wal-mart and sam's do not sell the same tires that other large tire sellers do. They may have the same name and brand, but they are made cheaper and bought in bulk. Which is why they sell them for cheaper.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:09 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by AR15 guy
Be careful when comparing tread wear ratings. They are not uniform across brands. Tread wear ratings are fine if you are comparing the same brand tire, but don't try to compare a Bridgestone to a Michelin with the tread wear rating.

Correct me if I am wrong, but COSTCO is owned by wal-mart right? I would not recommend buying tires from Sam's or wal-mart. I have been working for a major tire dealer for the last 5 years and I can tell you wal-mart and sam's do not sell the same tires that other large tire sellers do. They may have the same name and brand, but they are made cheaper and bought in bulk. Which is why they sell them for cheaper.
Costco is by itself. It has its own stock number on Nasdaq and competes directly against Sams and other warehouse stores.

My question to you is why would the warranties be identical if they were made cheaper and in bulk? I don't want to argue because you have experience in the tire business but I Highly doubt that a tire company will go out of its way to modify its tire formulations and compromise safety and make a cheaper made tire for wholesale distribution businesses. Walmart only carries crap branded tires anyhow so you can't compare.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:13 AM

Default Dtc

Hey if you can goto discount tire co. or america tire as its called in the south, i work there and we got alot of choices as well be able to give you a good rec. on what to get.

you get what ya pay for keep that in mind
Old 04-29-2010, 12:14 AM
Staging Lane

Just read on tire racks site that tires of different brands do rate there tires different. I always thought that rating was a government rating. Wrong. I probably just need to read reviews. If they last 50k I am happy. 30k, no. I'll read up on the RE760s since I can't find any with a higher rating.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:16 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Redneck 572
Hey if you can goto discount tire co. or america tire as its called in the south, i work there and we got alot of choices as well be able to give you a good rec. on what to get.

you get what ya pay for keep that in mind
Are you in Minnetonka, MN? I'm in Cambridge, MN. The closest discount tire is probably Coon Rapids. I'll stop in and see what they would recommend in my situation.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TooFast3800
Costco is by itself. It has its own stock number on Nasdaq and competes directly against Sams and other warehouse stores.

My question to you is why would the warranties be identical if they were made cheaper and in bulk? I don't want to argue because you have experience in the tire business but I Highly doubt that a tire company will go out of its way to modify its tire formulations and compromise safety and make a cheaper made tire for wholesale distribution businesses. Walmart only carries crap branded tires anyhow so you can't compare.
Walmart has the buying power to say "I want XX amount of tires and I want to pay XXXX dollars for them". Michelin says....damn we can't afford to sell them a Michelin Harmony for that price....so they make them a Harmony to their specs at a cheaper price. I didn't say they were unsafe...just not grade A tires. Wal-mart does this with all kinds of electronics as well.

Most tires are under warranty from the place you buy them, not Michelin (or whatever brand). Wal-mart is really sneaky about it too. You will buy a tire from wal-mart and they will assure you it has a 60,000 mile warranty. So you buy them and they last 30,000...but you never got an alignment. If there is more than a 2/32nd difference in the tread anywhere you don't get your warranty. Or they will not warranty them because lack of rotation or some other excuse.

You would be surprised how many people buy a tire with a warranty and never come back to make a claim. You would also be surprised by the staggering number of people who do not maintain their tires properly and complain about the slightest vibration when they purchased the cheapest tire possible.