Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Anyone powdercoat their 10 spokes a color other than black?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 03:01 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone powdercoat their 10 spokes a color other than black?

I'm using rebels now for general use but I'd like to have my chrome 10 spokers lying aside to mount up some sticky tires for track days. The rebels also have rubbing issues when driven hard so they might be dangerous if I run them on the track.

The chrome has peeled and blistered a bit and I came to an understanding with the powedercoating guy that they were still going to look like **** up close but to give it a shot anyway. He recommended a semi gloss black to hide the imperfections as much as possible but I'm not a fan of black on black. They have a brass color available that is a combo I think looks great on some cars but I'm not sure how it translates with the design of the 10 spokes.

my accent colors are silver (SS badges and Camaro infill letters) and I have the black billet with a blue bowtie. Anyone have pics up with other colors or possibly work some photochop magic with my pictures? I did a search and all that ever comes up is black.

Current look

old with the 10s

Gold/brass black combo I was referring to, but these wheels are distinctly more euro/tuner in design.

Thanks for any help.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:29 PM
Launching!

I guess the color I meant is dark bronze, been trolling the internet for awhile looking for pics and it usually boils down to people ripping on them for being ricey.

Whatever, I'm going to go ahead and get them done anyway. They'd be in the the trash anyway so at as well experiment. What I'm hoping it will somewhat reminiscent of

Of course the vette is much more angular and modern looking and the wheels are more minimalistic than the fat 10 spokes but I'll be sure to post results when they're done.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:17 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i wanna see the finished results
hope it ends up looking good
Old 05-18-2010, 05:01 PM
Launching!

little update for you all. Got back the one wheel I left behind and everyone involved was surprised how well it turned out. Like I mentioned the owner didn't even want to do it because he thought they'd turn out horrible and I wouldn't be happy. Quite the opposite.

I ended up going with a bronze metallic and while it doesn't have as much gold as the vette I posted above I'm happy with them, much moreso than the standard black people go with when powder coating.

I didn't grab a pic of the wheel beforehand but I took a few of the remaining three before I dropped them off to be done. The finished one was the worst of the 4 with the most blistering on the face and in the inside part.

old

finished, close up pics were taken of the "worst" areas (mind the dust)

I've seen a bunch of threads on here about options for blistering chrome options and most people weren't sure about powdercoating over it. Most results on google said it wouldn't turn out good unless the chrome was fully removed but these look awesome to me. It won't be a show winner with them on but it looks perfect unless you're a foot away and more than enough for track wheels. Just be sure to find a good shop, the guy I took it to has been doing this stuff for years and did my slp sfcs years ago.

Last edited by blackrat; 05-18-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like that look, nice choice.. Now get those mounted up.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:24 PM
Launching!

thanks. He should have the rest done within a couple of weeks. I'll take some pics after everything is said and done.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:51 PM
Launching!

Got them on. Car's dirty and the pics were taken in a hurry but I'm liking the look. Zoomed in on them they stand out a bit but when the whole car is shown they gel well. The shiny chrome lugs stand out a bit but whatever. I'll take some better pics later this week once she's all cleaned up.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:56 PM
TECH Addict

Not your usual color for f-body rims. I like it good job for doing something a little different
Old 05-29-2010, 08:58 PM
Launching!

thanks, those pictures aren't the best. they look more gunmetal than anything. i'll take the time later to do some proper photos that show off the color more.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:00 PM
TECH Regular

I think the color looks good but not having center caps is kiilin it for me.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something different is always good. Volk makes bronze lug nuts if your interested. I think they are around $190.00 though.