Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Difference in tire size front/rear before ABS issues??

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 02:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference in tire size front/rear before ABS issues??

I just purchased a 99 WS6 that has aftermarket wheels and tires on it. The ABS light and Brake light are on. I know that people in F-Body forums have said that if there is too much of a difference in tire size between the front and the rear that causes ABS problems.

It currently has:
245/40ZR18 on the front
285/35ZR18 on the rear

Is that enough of a difference to cause the ABS light to be on? Or am I going to be looking at tracking down some place to have the codes read and actually correct an ABS issue?

Also wanted to check because I need to replace the tires and don't want to buy the same sizes if they are causing the issue.

Thanks
Old 09-09-2010, 03:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You've got other issues. Those tires are almost the same size overall.

Why people keep putting such narrow tires on the front baffles me, but that's not causing your light. You're just losing traction.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:12 PM
Teching In

Good to know, thanks for the help. I'll get to tracking down this ABS issue then...
Old 09-10-2010, 01:33 AM
Launching!

As Eskimo pointed, the tires are very similar in size. Your ABS system is malfunctioning. Your braking system can be hampered as it may not operate correctly reducing braking performance.

You can either fix the problem, which can get rather expensive or consider removing it with an ABS delete kit like many others do. If its a sensor, it may set you back a few hundred. If its your ABS controller, plan on spending up to a grand. Dealer troubleshooting isn't inexpensive either. Many times, they troubleshoot by just replacing parts...at your expense.

Removing ABS will not change normal braking response. Actually, when you remove it, you'll be adding a proportioning valve wheras you'll be able to adjust your brake bias which can improve braking performance...something you couldn't do before.

Good luck!
Old 09-10-2010, 07:16 AM
Launching!

most likely it's a bad wheel speed sensor, if you have ohm meter you can check each sensor yourself at home.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I run 275/35R18 on a 9.5" wheel and 295/35R18 on a 10.5" wheel, and have no issues with mine
Old 09-11-2010, 07:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

it's easier to remove the abs system.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:18 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies. I haven't had a chance to even look at the ABS yet, been changing out the power steering cooler, radiator, and doing standard maintenance stuff....that power steering cooler was the dumbest thing that I've ever looked at on a car. Needless to say the upper radiator hose is now one that has no cooler provision and I have a regular finned cooler mounted in front of the radiator. No more coolant flushing for hours if that goes bad again.

Anyways, back to the ABS...after hearing that it is quite costly to repair it, I think I will check/clean up the wheel sensors. If that doesn't correct the issue I'll be going the ABS delete option. Do you guys use the SJM kits or is there something else out there? Also, when that kit goes into the car do you have to de-solder the ABS and brake idiot lights on the dash? Or do they just not come on anymore?
Old 09-14-2010, 05:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

from what I have read, you have to remove the lights from behind the dash. There is no way to delete them.
When I delete my abs, I will be using the SJM kit with the solenoid to lock the front brakes for staging(line lock). The other company that has a kit is Hurst If I remember right. I could be wrong though.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:42 PM
TECH Addict

Those wheels aren't the issue.. I ran either a staggered set up or on my 19'' and I never had an issue..
Good luck with your hunt..
Old 09-14-2010, 08:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by need4fun2469
from what I have read, you have to remove the lights from behind the dash. There is no way to delete them.
When I delete my abs, I will be using the SJM kit with the solenoid to lock the front brakes for staging(line lock). The other company that has a kit is Hurst If I remember right. I could be wrong though.
I don't believe there is any other company offering a configuration as we do. We offer both the Hurst style and our style solenoid configurations. Thank you for your future support.

Quick Reply: Difference in tire size front/rear before ABS issues??