Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Summer High Performance Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 11:06 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Summer High Performance Tires

I still have the original tires on, and I plan on getting new tires when I get the car out on the spring.

I'm looking into the summertime high performance tires. What I've noticed is there is always a disclaimer or warning stating these tires are not to be driven in near freezing, freezing temps or snow. I might get the car out in the winter IF the road are dry and no salt build up, so winter driving for the TA is extremely rare, if at all.

My question is: Does the cold weather driving damage the tires or are you just not getting the traction you would get in warmer temps?
Old 11-06-2010, 12:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Basically the hi po summer tires' rubber compound hardens up in the cooler (let alone colder!) weather. They will ride and handle like they're hockey pucks. It is not a durability issue for the tires, just that the rubber compound is OPTIMISED for summer temps. I bet Tire Rack will have a FAQ section on their website with more specifics. I wouldn't be afraid to drive it occasionally esp to circulate fluids, avoid tire flat spotting etc, just be aware of a lack of traction.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:12 AM
Launching!

Hmmm.... That answers my question. I may have to rethink this, as I do drive in the cooler temps in the spring and fall. I don't want to lose my driving "comfort", so to speak.

I'll hit the Tire Rack website and look into this some more.

Thanks.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 439 Likes on 317 Posts

I'm on my 2nd year of Goodyear GS-D3 tires and I drive infrequently in the winter as well. I was concerned like you but I have not noticed a difference in the handling at all and no issues. The ride comfort level is still fine too. I am talking about temps in the 20-30 degrees area, and I also do not drive the car hard in the winter. I have not tried the tires in snow and don't intend to.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My NT-555R's were slick as hell in temperatures near freezing. Expected, but was still interesting making a left across traffic.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:05 PM
LS1Tech Platinum Sponsor

Summer tires will get hard below 40 degrees F. The colder it get the harder they become. The harder they become the less grip you will get.