Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

R-compounds

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 01:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R-compounds

OK for the first post/question in a long line of questions

My Camaro currently stock besides flow master which was installed when me and my father bought is going to have a lot of work done.

but first has to be the tires. the ones on it now are old and hard as ****.

we have put 2000 miles on it in over a year so tread-wear is not a problem. but i have been looking at r- compounds.

are these tires out of the question for anything besides track use. and when a tire has a 40 for tread wear rating, how many miles is that?

thank you
Old 12-10-2010, 01:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WSUShocker
OK for the first post/question in a long line of questions

My Camaro currently stock besides flow master which was installed when me and my father bought is going to have a lot of work done.

but first has to be the tires. the ones on it now are old and hard as ****.

we have put 2000 miles on it in over a year so tread-wear is not a problem. but i have been looking at r- compounds.

are these tires out of the question for anything besides track use. and when a tire has a 40 for tread wear rating, how many miles is that?

thank you
The lower tread wear rating usually means the softer/sticker the compound. 40 is pretty low. As for miles, obviously they are going to wear faster than something with a 400 rating, but it all depends on how you drive. If you spin the tires at every stop light, they are not going to last very long.

You can drive whatever you want on the street (maybe not lawfully), question is, what are you going to be driving in. Rain, cold, gravel, ect. If it's all sunny dry driving, I have see people drive with M/T E/T drags all season. If you drive in the rain, you may want some type of tread to disperse the water so you don't hydroplane.

What specific tire are you looking into and what driving characteristics do you incorporate?
Old 12-10-2010, 03:33 PM
Teching In

that's kinda why I figured I would be OK with these tires. I have a truck... so i never take the camaro out in any weather or if it is dark out (because everyone's lights are in my face). I only drive it every once in a while because I don't want it to sit for too long.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:34 PM
Teching In

also how would these tires fair if I slam a pothole.