Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Powdercoat VS Chrome

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 02:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Powdercoat VS Chrome

I've searched for the answer to this off and on for quite some time and have yet to find an acceptable answer.

I'm about to pick up some polished CCW LM20s and I don't like the fact that they are gonna be a real PITA to keep clean. I've heard that I can get them chromed or powdercoated clear and it will really help with keeping them clean. Does anybody have any experience with either one of these specific coatings?
Old 12-14-2010, 10:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have quite a bit of experience with clear ceramic coat, it is a much better finish than the powdercoat. The ceramic coat creates a chemical bond with the aluminum and WILL NOT chip, crack, or peel. It is very tough stuff and very durable. We have some sets that have been on the street for 6-7 years and look just as good as when they were applied. If you decide on chrome look for someone who applies the new PVD chrome, it is much better than the old dip style of chrome. It can be applied thinner, which makes it much more durable than the old chrome process. All wheels flex and the thinner chrome has more "give" to it and will not crack or peel. Our supplier, in SoCal offers a 5 year warranty on their chrome, which is longer than anyone offers on the old dip process.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Local powdercoat guy here in the Detroit are is a friend, and i have spoke to him about clearcoating polished wheels, and he has done it to a set of cragars that were on his car. The coating does protect the finish, but at the time, the clear coating actually left a darker tint to the wheels....not black, but kind of a very faint yellowish to it. He didn't mind since it was his daily driver, and he liked that he could just hose off the dust and dirt, but not for a show car he said. Granted this was many years ago, and powdercoating might have made alot of improvements/advances in clear technology. Best bet is to call around and go see some of there work, Any good shop will have a ton of samples for you to see there work.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jjordan
We have quite a bit of experience with clear ceramic coat, it is a much better finish than the powdercoat.

If you decide on chrome look for someone who applies the new PVD chrome, it is much better than the old dip style of chrome.
Clear ceramic coating, sounds interesting. I've got to admit I've never heard of that before. However, it does sound quite promising! It sounds like you or your company applies this clear ceramic coating. Post up some pics, I'm curious about how it looks.

I also quickly looked up the PVD chrome, it also looks promising. I don't understand what you meant when you said, "if you decide on the chrome look". Wouldn't chrome and clear coated polished aluminum look the same?

Originally Posted by ZYA_LTR
The coating does protect the finish, but at the time, the clear coating actually left a darker tint to the wheels....not black, but kind of a very faint yellowish to it.
I've heard that is the case for conventionally clear powdercoated wheels. However, I've heard of some special acrylic resin powder that SilverGhost has talked about that is suppose to be perfectly clear. The problem is, from what I've heard, he has yet to apply this to anything other than a test strip.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:55 PM
On The Tree

Clearcoat polished aluminum is a little brighter than chrome, chrome has a deeper shine, it's hard to describe without putting the 2 side by side.
No, I work for a wheel company (not a sponser on this site) and we have been applying the PVD chrome for several years. i will see if I can find some pictures of the two side-by-side. You would not be disappointed in the ceramic, I have seen the clear powdercoat and the yellowing is pretty common. I hate polishing a wheel to perfection and then have the powdercoat yellow out, ruins it for me.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:08 AM
TECH Addict

^I completely agree, polishing sucks and if my CCWs yellowed out it would freaking kill me. PM me your company's information.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:05 PM
Motorboater

If the clear powder yellowed on the wheel or dulled the polishing work, its the wrong product, period. The acrylic clear I use for this is designed specifically for the aftermarket wheel industry actually. Never know its there and plenty tough..

I've done it a number of times now, I just for some dumbass reason haven't been taking pics lol.

The key to any clear coating is in the polishing work IMO. Acrylic powder clear or ceramic clear both are a magnafying glass to any coloring problems or shadowing in the polishing work. I've cleared wheels that looked perfect bare, then the clear showed a few variations in the coloring of the polishing work..

Quick Reply: Powdercoat VS Chrome