Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

selecting the right tire ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 07:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default selecting the right tire ??

I'm looking to compare two tires. I think I'm comparing apples to apples but let me know what you think.

1) Toyo TQ's
2) Nitto NT05R's

I need traction bad but I'm not wanting to sacrifice high speed handling (big sweeping curves, exit ramps). I'm currently running Nitto NT-05's and they suck !! Unless you live in Phoenix in the middle of the summer. These tires need heat !! When the are up to temp they preform pretty good but it takes a while to get that much heat in them on the street. And not really into doing burnouts in the driveway before I go prowling for fords. I've also tried the R888's, same results. Maybe a little better.
Anyway back to the question, I'd like to compare these two tires.

1) traction
2) life
3) high speed stability
4) price
5) size avalibility
6) and what ever else you guys come up with

Thanks...And this is a "real street car"

Last edited by LSOHOLIC; 01-20-2011 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:20 AM
12 Second Club

Ive heard good things about the new Nittos as far as traction goes. Pretty sure Nitto has a lot more sizes available too. They always do. My friend had just the NTO5's on his cam only C6 Z06 and it hooked really well in first and second gear.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:09 AM
TECH Addict

Any drag radial is going to give up handling to the NT-05 or R888. Any of the R-compoound or max performance tires are going to need heat. If it is cold, the soft compound hardens up a lot. You have to give up one thing to get another. Physics is tough like that.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

It's a game of give and take. Are you more concerned about traction of handling. If it traction go with the nt05r or some et streets but I think the toyos might be better for handling over the two
Old 01-22-2011, 02:26 PM
TECH Regular

With both of the tires UTQG/Traction/Temperature being equal its seems the TQ may be a litte more stable at speed, from the feed back and reports I have seen. Anyone care to dispute that ??
Old 01-24-2011, 02:10 PM
TECH Addict

My NT-555R's (wich i doubt are wildly different in construction than the NT-05R) are stable at speed. You can just tell they are giving up on susstained high speed turns, especially on the exit when power is being applied, and there are still significant cornering forces.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pick and choose .... there is no happy median between a drag radial ("R") and an ultra high performance street tire. They are each designed for different things like the differences between a road race tire and an autocross tire. They just cannot be interchanged. One is designed to heatup "slow" and sustain heat for long periods of time (road race) and the other is to heatup "quick" and sustain heat for lesser preriods of time (autocross).

Try choosing a tire that is designed for the activity you spend the most time performing while driving ... "big sweeping curves, exit ramps" or "prowling for fords".
Old 01-24-2011, 07:13 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks guys...I'm only 440/400ish to the tire (N/A), I can't imagine what these guys making 700+ deal with. But I sure wish I could spray this thing in 2nd gear but it just blows the tires off. I have to be in 3rd with some speed to do so.

SSCamaro99_3 My NT-555R's (wich i doubt are wildly different in construction than the NT-05R) are stable at speed. You can just tell they are giving up on susstained high speed turns, especially on the exit when power is being applied, and there are still significant cornering forces.

I would not say they are the same the 555R's are "100" wear rating and the NT05R's are "0". What kind of power are you putting to them ?? But again, thanks for the feed back.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

I run a 315 Toyo TQ. In 2nd gear it dead hooks on the bottle. I have a good amount of suspension and it's holding 626ft/tq. On the motor i'm making 420/410 and they hold fine in 1st gear. I have yet to spray the car in 1st but I think it will spin but keep moving forward and not just blow the tires off. I think the Toyo TQ is somewhere between a 555R and a ET street IMO. The Nitto NT05R is comparable to the Mickey.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:49 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LSOHOLIC
Thanks guys...I'm only 440/400ish to the tire (N/A), I can't imagine what these guys making 700+ deal with. But I sure wish I could spray this thing in 2nd gear but it just blows the tires off. I have to be in 3rd with some speed to do so.

SSCamaro99_3 My NT-555R's (wich i doubt are wildly different in construction than the NT-05R) are stable at speed. You can just tell they are giving up on susstained high speed turns, especially on the exit when power is being applied, and there are still significant cornering forces.

I would not say they are the same the 555R's are "100" wear rating and the NT05R's are "0". What kind of power are you putting to them ?? But again, thanks for the feed back.
I was speaking more to the underlying construction. I would be shocked if the sidewall design and belt construction would vary greatly between the NT-555R and NT-05R. The NT-05R probably just has a stickier compound, and the difference between a 100 traedwear and 0 isn't huge when discussing soft sidewall drag radials and lateral grip. Neither will be fantastic for that job. Basically you need to decide which performance category is more important to you. If you want to have good forward bite, and decent lateral grip, then one of these drag radials may suffice. If you want good lateral grip, and can give up some forward bite, then you need to get away from drag radials. I am making 381 rwhp/373 rwtq.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:10 AM
TECH Resident

"Deviant LS1" ... so you like the TQ's as a street/strip tire? I would have thought they would have been similar to the NT-05R with both being manufactured by Toyo. As a street only tire, I liked the Proxes over the 555 (same brand but differnet tires), but I may just have to look into the TQ's for my SS. Have you run all four tires ... TQ's, 555R's, NT-05R's & ET Streets ... ??
Old 01-28-2011, 09:14 PM
TECH Regular

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Allright lets get down to the nut cutting !!
I would like you guys to rate these for best to worst for the supreme "street tire". Or at least pick the ones that you beleive in. One with the best traction without scaring the S**T out of you in the curves. Mileage not being of concern.

(Nitto)
1) NT01= 100/AA/A
2) NT05= 200/AA/A
3) NT05R= 00/B/B
4) NT555RII= 100/A/A
5) NT555R= VWY ??
(Toyo)
6) R888= 100/AA/A
7) RA-1= 100/AA/A
8) TQ= 0/B/B
(Michelin)
9) Pilot Sport Cup= 80/A/A
(Hoosier)
10) R6= 40/C/A
11) A6= 40/C/A
(Kumho)
12) Ecsta V700= 50/A/A
13) Ecsta V710= 30/C/A
----------------------------
The rest I beleive to be a true radial/slick. And not really an option considering I'm looking for "best all purpose tire". One with the best traction without scaring the S**T out of you in the curves.

BFG Drag radials
Hoosier DR's
MT DR's
M&H DR's

And these are in no specific order !! (random)
Thanks...and this will be the last beating of the dead horse, I PROMISE !

And yes I understand about give and take. But I'm looking for the best compromise. Trust me, a dual purpose car is always harder to build than a single purpose car.
Thanks...

Quick Reply: selecting the right tire ??