Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

nt05 315 (rear) nt05r 295 (front) with 3 inch drop.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 04:44 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nt05 315 (rear) nt05r 295 (front) with 3 inch drop.

Would the 3 inch drop by too much for 18s all the way around? and with 315s on the back and 295s up front?

what would i have to do to make this work.
and if not. whats the lowest ill be able to slam the car without having to do surgery.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you're going to put drag radials up front?

You're going to need allot of work for a 3" drop. I would look into a 1.5 inch drop instead, save yourself allot of headache.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:35 PM
Staging Lane

holy ****, 3 inches?! how???? and yes i'd say 295/18's and 3 inch drop... you got some work cut out for you. these cars run out of travel fast. not to mention geometry changes. bump steer from hell... anything over 1.5 inches starts to get exspensive.
BMR makes front lower arms that drop the front 1" without sacrificing travel or geometry. im looking into them for myself.
that with 1.5 inch springs will get you down 2.5" thats pretty close. if you really want that extra half inch, you might need coilovers and some geometry revision (adjustable everything). that bump steer is a bitch.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you plan to lower 3inches, your going to have issues fitting stock tire size's up front for turning even. I have bmr springs and a 1.5 inch drop all around and my exhaust scrapes everywhere, besides the fact that I can BARELY fit 17x11, 315's out back.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:41 PM
Staging Lane

ok so the 1.5 it is

and no

the nitto nt05r is a streeet tire based off the nt05 radial which will be on the back.

I might go 255. i the front.
and im definitely 315s

and im doing 18s all the way around.

i want max grip.
im not into burnouts and such so. if i can matt my 500hp car at 40 and no lose traction i will be a happy camper.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Thefastguys
ok so the 1.5 it is

and no

the nitto nt05r is a streeet tire based off the nt05 radial which will be on the back.

I might go 255. i the front.
and im definitely 315s

and im doing 18s all the way around.

i want max grip.
im not into burnouts and such so. if i can matt my 500hp car at 40 and no lose traction i will be a happy camper.
You need to do some serious research. I don't think you can get a 3" drop out of these cars without some serious modifications, cutting/welding etc. - and even if you could get that drop the car would drive terrible.
Generally the lower you go the harder it is to get traction. If you want "max traction" you want a tall, soft front spring for weight transfer, and a stiffer rear spring to prevent squat - naturally this will kill handling if you care about that.
The NT05r is the dragradial (hence the "R"), while the NT05's are a sticky handling tire. Check their site: http://www.nittotire.com/index.html#index.tire.nt05r
The taller the sidewall tire (and therefor the shorter the wheel usually) the better traction you can get. So 18's are going to be that much more hard to get traction with than 17s with a taller sidewall.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:11 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Thefastguys
if i can matt my 500hp car at 40 and no lose traction i will be a happy camper.
40 what now?
Old 03-03-2011, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Carefull!! the side wall on these two tires is alot different, The NT-O5 has a very stiff side wall for cornering the NT-O5R has a soft side wall designed to flex for the best straight line traction, this would produce a unbalanced turn in and mushie feel to the front end, I would not think this would be a safe installation for a street driver.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

NT05R is a drag radial. NT05 is the street version. NT01 is the "handling" tire you would be looking for in the Nitto family.

3" drop is WAYYY too much, as others have covered.

What do you want out of the car, grip in corners or grip in a straightline? They require much different setups.

Lastly, 295s are too much in front if you are going to drop it a lot. You don't need 315s for grip. My friend dead hooks street or track with his 255's (16" snowflakes) and he makes over 500rwhp, he's on Mickey's though not Nittos.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

FYI, the NT05 doesn't come in a 315 in 18's. I know because I'm still waiting for them
Old 03-03-2011, 04:39 PM
Staging Lane

NT05R does cuz they're in my garage, oh wait sorry you guys are talking about the regular street tire
Old 03-04-2011, 08:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With my car lowered, I have to run 255 40 18's up front to keep from rubbing holes in the inner fender well plastic covers.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BowTieDrifter
holy ****, 3 inches?! how???? and yes i'd say 295/18's and 3 inch drop... you got some work cut out for you. these cars run out of travel fast. not to mention geometry changes. bump steer from hell... anything over 1.5 inches starts to get exspensive.
BMR makes front lower arms that drop the front 1" without sacrificing travel or geometry. im looking into them for myself.
that with 1.5 inch springs will get you down 2.5" thats pretty close. if you really want that extra half inch, you might need coilovers and some geometry revision (adjustable everything). that bump steer is a bitch.
Originally Posted by JD_AMG
You need to do some serious research. I don't think you can get a 3" drop out of these cars without some serious modifications, cutting/welding etc. - and even if you could get that drop the car would drive terrible.

Originally Posted by WSsick
3" drop is WAYYY too much, as others have covered.

lol you have any of you guys even lowerd a fbody more then 1.5 lol
3in is lil bit extreme but its not crazy, my car is currently lowered 2.5in
i have umi k and umi adjustable control arms with edlebrock ias shocks with the upper shock mount mod, and i can guaranty you that my car has as much if not more travel then any other lowered fbody, and will handle with the best of them, no bump steer and no nonsense
im also running 295/35/18 nto5 in the front and 305/35/18 toyo r888 in the rear

although the front tire does rubb on the the inner fender a small bit when turning, but absolutely nothing im worried about
Old 03-06-2011, 08:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tripblackls1
lol you have any of you guys even lowerd a fbody more then 1.5 lol
3in is lil bit extreme but its not crazy, my car is currently lowered 2.5in
i have umi k and umi adjustable control arms with edlebrock ias shocks with the upper shock mount mod, and i can guaranty you that my car has as much if not more travel then any other lowered fbody, and will handle with the best of them, no bump steer and no nonsense
im also running 295/35/18 nto5 in the front and 305/35/18 toyo r888 in the rear

although the front tire does rubb on the the inner fender a small bit when turning, but absolutely nothing im worried about
Im not sure if you did any before/after measurements, or how you measure, but from your garage pics your car looks like its dropped less than 2".
And assuming you are dropped 2.5" like you claim, are you saying that you will have as much travel as someone with 1.2" lowering springs and the upper mount mod? And handle with the best of them, while all the guys that actually competitively race their cars found that more then 1.5" drop hurts handling because it compromises suspension geometry too much?
Old 03-06-2011, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

if your competitively racing it probably is not a great idea, and im sure if your going to do it with stock a arms its defiantly not going to help, but with my suspension i have not found any negative effects with it, but im just a canyon carver not competitive
also i have had other fbodys with other suspension, stranos/biltens (on stock k) and others that arent as low as what i have now but i still prefer my current suspension over anything else, the only thing im considering is going to kw's due to the edlebrocks not having adjustablity
Old 03-06-2011, 10:13 PM
TECH Addict

I have the mindset that a properly lowered car will handle excellent and give you the "stance" you are looking for. if you decide to use an 18'' tire all around they will fill in most of the wheel well. if you want "max grip" look into other aspects of suspension set ups..not just slamming the car.

everything has to work together, sway bars, the bushings, spring and shock combo.. the alignment of the car, proper tire foot print so you have the max contact patch..

i just don't want you to drop the car and ride on the inner part of your tire.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by meine96ws6
I have the mindset that a properly lowered car will handle excellent and give you the "stance" you are looking for. if you decide to use an 18'' tire all around they will fill in most of the wheel well. if you want "max grip" look into other aspects of suspension set ups..not just slamming the car.

everything has to work together, sway bars, the bushings, spring and shock combo.. the alignment of the car, proper tire foot print so you have the max contact patch..

i just don't want you to drop the car and ride on the inner part of your tire.
+1
dont think you can just slam your car and it will still handle ok, i have a ton of money in my suspension but it was well worth it to have a car to handle well and look great
Old 03-06-2011, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 208 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by tripblackls1
+1
dont think you can just slam your car and it will still handle ok, i have a ton of money in my suspension but it was well worth it to have a car to handle well and look great
Any pics of you car at a 2.5" drop? The pics in your album don't look that low.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LaBLKv6Z
Any pics of you car at a 2.5" drop? The pics in your album don't look that low.
x2, that doesn't even look like a 1.5" drop. 2.5" with those tires would have them inside the fenders, not an inch below them.

To the OP, you need to do WWWAAYY more research on this stuff.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dont have very many good pics with the 18s on
im going to have the car back together soon and going to have a photoshoot
btw most of these pics are taken with a phone and soon after the car was on jackstands, it really had not settle yet

Last edited by tripblackls1; 03-06-2011 at 11:03 PM.

Quick Reply: nt05 315 (rear) nt05r 295 (front) with 3 inch drop.