Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

How to ship Rims and Tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 11:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to ship Rims and Tires

As the title says, I've never shipped rims and tires before in my life, so it brings me to asking these questions.

How would I be able to ship them without any damage being done to them and what carrier will ship them for a reasonable price without being raped on the price.

Thanks,
Kag
Old 04-13-2011, 11:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Cardboard discs on the face and back of the wheel, taped. Wrap entire thing with shrink wrap. Do each wheel/tire separately.

UPS / Fed Ex about your only route.

Like so:

Old 04-13-2011, 11:38 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the quick and timely response!! How much on average to ship it would be? 50 bucks a tire and rim?
Old 04-13-2011, 11:40 PM
Launching!

Ive heard people shipping them individually (4 separate boxes ) at the same time to save a few bucks. I've never tried it but who knows.

As for packing, don't be afraid to spend a few extra bucks cause it goes a long way. (bubble wrap / cushion materials / styrofoam / peanuts / ect) just make sure they're firm in the box, not bouncing around. And if shipped all in 1 box make sure there not rubbing up against each other.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
Cardboard discs on the face and back of the wheel, taped. Wrap entire thing with shrink wrap. Do each wheel/tire separately.

^ perfect example
Old 04-14-2011, 12:34 AM
Launching!

I work at UPS and honestly the cardboard cut peices are the most common, the ones in the example are probably fine since they have tires on them to absorb the impact but if you're shipping rim only....read along.
Big names like American Racing tend to come in their own boxes with no noticeable padding.
HOWEVER, I strongly recommend placing them in their own boxes with padding on all corners where the lip of the rim touches. then tape the **** out of the box. I couldnt count how many people send a 50lb box and put one strip of tape on it.
just package it keeping in mind that it will probably be thrown, dropped and banged up. Insure the package if you want but you can't authenticate the damage claims made from the receiver. There are lots of people who make false claims so be aware of that also.

Oh, Don't cheap out on padding and get bubble wrap. They're rims. They have weight. Unless you triple wrap the one wheel the bubbles will just pop under the weight. Lowes and home depot sell big styrofome (spell) sheets for like 10 bucks. They are all you'll need, if you guys need visual I can probably post up some pictures since i have this kind of stuff laying around here

Last edited by blackbird0230; 04-14-2011 at 12:39 AM.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:16 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cheapest place to ship them is greyhound ,will save a lot of money
Old 04-14-2011, 01:57 PM
On The Tree

greyhound for sure with the gas price as high as it is, its getting to much $$$$
Old 04-14-2011, 02:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I shipped some wheels with tires mounted on them through fedex. They were 18's with goodyear eagle F1's and were heavy. Fedex charged me 25 bucks a wheel and wrapped them up like in the example shown above and stuck a label on the tires. I was going to use boxes but the buyer said not to worry about it. I recieved my used ttm's in fedex boxes from bay area california and i think the guy paid like 120 for shipping.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:52 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28

Like so:

I agree with this but i would cut out some thick cardboard (or double up) circles. make sure its the diameter of the tires (not only the rim) and then shrink wrap or use a whole lot of tape and make several criss-cross taping.

This is the way i ship rims w/tires. through fed-ex and local air cargo
Old 08-13-2011, 06:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I actually used the US post office since they were cheaper than UPS. I sent out 2 speedline and 4 ws6 wheels all individually through the post office. They ranged from going to Arizona to Pennsylvannia. The cost averaged in the mid $20. They were ebay sales so the shipping was slightly cheaper.

Quick Reply: How to ship Rims and Tires