Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Front higher than rear?

Old 05-23-2011, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Front higher than rear?

Hey guys,

Noticed that my front seems to be a bit higher than the rears. Stock springs and crappy aftermarket shocks (thanks to the original owner for dumping the Decarbons for something even worse) when I took the photo. I just replaced the shocks with SLP Bilsteins and have the same issue still. Any idea as to why the front might be sitting higher than the rear?

Yes, the motor is still in the car! No dead bodies in the hatch, etc. HAHA!

Wheels are OE Wheels C6 Replicas (chrome)
18" x 9.5" in the front
18" x 10.5" in the rear

Old 05-23-2011, 12:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine did this. its your springs. get some lowering springs and forget it
Old 05-23-2011, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you do the heater hose mod?
Old 05-23-2011, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by theskitztikwon
Did you do the heater hose mod?
^ That's what I was about to ask. OP, does your car have the rubber isolator (looks like a donut) on top of the rear springs? If not, that's why it's lower in the back.

If I were you I would just lower the front an inch, and keep the rear how it is.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the replies guys.

Negative on the heater hose mod so I'm guessing it's the springs.

Any recommendations for a minimal drop in just the front? I don't want to go much lower than where I'm at right now for clearance reasons, however tightening things up in the front would be a nice solution.

In hindsight, perhaps I should've sprung for the Koni SA's and could've changed the perch setting to get a 3/4" drop.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Midnight02
Thanks for the replies guys.

Negative on the heater hose mod so I'm guessing it's the springs.

Any recommendations for a minimal drop in just the front? I don't want to go much lower than where I'm at right now for clearance reasons, however tightening things up in the front would be a nice solution.

In hindsight, perhaps I should've sprung for the Koni SA's and could've changed the perch setting to get a 3/4" drop.
I would just cut a coil off the front springs, my car has a 1" drop on cut springs and I'm extremely pleased with the stance and the ride, although the better (albeit much more expensive) option would be the Konis on the lower perch like you said.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Latch
I would just cut a coil off the front springs, my car has a 1" drop on cut springs and I'm extremely pleased with the stance and the ride, although the better (albeit much more expensive) option would be the Konis on the lower perch like you said.
Given that I just dropped in brand new SLP Bilsteins, is there any downside to cutting a coil off of the stock front springs?
Old 05-25-2011, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Midnight02
Given that I just dropped in brand new SLP Bilsteins, is there any downside to cutting a coil off of the stock front springs?
I have SLP Bilsteins too, with 1 coil cut off the stock springs.

People here will tell you cutting springs is the worst thing you can do to your car... they clearly haven't done it themselves, because it works fine.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:15 PM
TECH Regular

^^^^ x2.Is going to be a pain but once you get the stock front springs out,just cut 1 complete coil off the stock spring from the bottom.Should drop it exactly 1" inch and will look perfect and you might notice a minimal change in ride but i highly doubt it.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any other thoughts on cutting the front springs? Any idea how long it should take to do the job? (I lack the time and the tools to pull this off, so I'm just trying to get an idea of how many hours of labor I need to pony up for this one).

That being the case, is it possible to just buy a set of front lowering springs? Looks like everything I see is both front and rear.

Thanks!
Old 05-27-2011, 04:13 PM
TECH Regular

Here lies the problem.It is going to be a pain if you cut,or replace with aftermarket springs either way.If you want just a 1 inch drop which I think will be perfect for your car.You can save the $100+ dollars and just cut the stock springs.Job is gonna take about 2-4 hours.You are going to have to rent a spring compressor tool from local parts store.Make sure to get the tool exactly like this if you do it yourself.If you have air tools it is going to make the job a lot easier.GL

Search this Thread