Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

275/40-17 Drag Radial, NT05R or Toyo Proxes TQ?

Old 03-05-2015, 11:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since this thread got brought back from the dead I guess I'll ask everyones opinion on the TQ's. I'm going to order some drag radials this weekend and was wondering how they hooked apposed to say the nt05r's on the street for digs? I'll just be getting the 275/40/17 and I'm guessing I'm somewhere around 400rwhp or close to it. It's a daily driver for now but I only drive about 7 miles round trip plus on car cruises, so I will be driving it in the rain too.

Last edited by Deeohgie69; 03-05-2015 at 11:14 PM. Reason: had to add that they were the r's
Old 03-06-2015, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Deeohgie69
Since this thread got brought back from the dead I guess I'll ask everyones opinion on the TQ's. I'm going to order some drag radials this weekend and was wondering how they hooked apposed to say the nt05r's on the street for digs? I'll just be getting the 275/40/17 and I'm guessing I'm somewhere around 400rwhp or close to it. It's a daily driver for now but I only drive about 7 miles round trip plus on car cruises, so I will be driving it in the rain too.
I can't speak for the NT 05r but I love the TQ's for a street tire. I'm making about the same amount of power and I think they hook good on the street. Are there better drag radials? Yes, but for a 99% street car (like mine) I think these tires are great.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:02 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mjs1012
I can't speak for the NT 05r but I love the TQ's for a street tire. I'm making about the same amount of power and I think they hook good on the street. Are there better drag radials? Yes, but for a 99% street car (like mine) I think these tires are great.
I just ordered the TQ's and they'll be here Tuesday. I think they should work good for me until I get my heads and I like that they supposedly do ok in rain unless you drive like a moron lol.
Old 03-07-2015, 01:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the gas last year and they are getting swapped out. At a low 400 power level cam only they worked nicely when fresh but about 50% tread they started to lose traction fast. My biggest gripe with them is they don't give much confidence in the corners. the rear always felt a bit lose compared to the fronts with the too ra1, which is understandable with a more drag oriented tire but with the tread rating I expected a bit more. This could also be caused coming from a Michelin ps2, they felt glued to the road compared to the tq.

I just ordered some new tires to replace my worn tq. With the turbo setup going on and making 650+ I didn't expect much from the worn tq to hold so hoping some fresh nt 05 can hold up from a 70 roll now. Would also love to get some of my handling back since i live 98% driving on the street and not 100% on the drag.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:25 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Rawr256
I got the TQ's last year and they are getting swapped out. At a low 400 power level cam only they worked nicely when fresh but about 50% tread they started to lose traction fast.
My experience exactly.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Bumping this one more time. I was going to make a thread posing the exact same question, but figured we could just pick this up again. I've read all the posts, but what I'm hoping to hear is from people who've owned both these tires and can give a direct comparison. I'll be getting one of these two very soon.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Bumping this one more time. I was going to make a thread posing the exact same question, but figured we could just pick this up again. I've read all the posts, but what I'm hoping to hear is from people who've owned both these tires and can give a direct comparison. I'll be getting one of these two very soon.
I can't speak for the nt05r's, but I still am running the toyo tq's. Not sure what power level you're at, but when I was 390'srwhp they did pretty decent on the street when the weather was around 70 deg or warmer. Seemed like 65 and lower they started fighting for traction on 20 rolls or below, but this was 275/40/17's. When the tread was new they did really well in rain as long as you didn't get silly. After they were around 50% tread life you really had to slow down quite a bit more, but still drivable in rain.

At the track these tires dead hooked through a stalled auto with just enough burnout to just start smoking and roll out of it. After what I've read on the nt05r and if I was daily driving in the rain now and then, I'd go with the TQ's over any other dr for wet and dry traction. My car won't drive in rain anymore so I'm going with et streets dr this time.

Overall I'd definitely buy the TQ's again with no regrets. I DD them on 22.5psi on street/strip and they met all my expectations. I think they handled pretty good too and didn't notice much roll when taking turns in any driving situation. Mine are down to the wear bars now (mostly due to new build making them a tire fest), but I probably had about 60-70 track passes, and quite a few street passes on them including two cold seasons, which dr's are horrible for traction in cold weather.

Not sure if this helped, but good luck man and looking forward to see what tire you pic & your thoughts about them afterwards.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

I can't speak for the nt05r's, but I still am running the toyo tq's. Not sure what power level you're at, but when I was 390'srwhp they did pretty decent on the street when the weather was around 70 deg or warmer. Seemed like 65 and lower they started fighting for traction on 20 rolls or below, but this was 275/40/17's. When the tread was new they did really well in rain as long as you didn't get silly. After they were around 50% tread life you really had to slow down quite a bit more, but still drivable in rain.

At the track these tires dead hooked through a stalled auto with just enough burnout to just start smoking and roll out of it. After what I've read on the nt05r and if I was daily driving in the rain now and then, I'd go with the TQ's over any other dr for wet and dry traction. My car won't drive in rain anymore so I'm going with et streets dr this time.

Overall I'd definitely buy the TQ's again with no regrets. I DD them on 22.5psi on street/strip and they met all my expectations. I think they handled pretty good too and didn't notice much roll when taking turns in any driving situation. Mine are down to the wear bars now (mostly due to new build making them a tire fest), but I probably had about 60-70 track passes, and quite a few street passes on them including two cold seasons, which dr's are horrible for traction in cold weather.

Not sure if this helped, but good luck man and looking forward to see what tire you pic & your thoughts about them afterwards.
Thanks for the feedback. I actually had the tq's on my Mustang a few years back and really liked them, but that car was also about 200 hp less than my SS lol. Pretty much how you described it was how I felt about them too. That's why I'll probably pull the trigger on them again if I don't find a good enough reason to try the NT05R. Not really wanting a MT, BFG, Hoosier or M&H either, so it really only leaves these two.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:47 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the feedback. I actually had the tq's on my Mustang a few years back and really liked them, but that car was also about 200 hp less than my SS lol. Pretty much how you described it was how I felt about them too. That's why I'll probably pull the trigger on them again if I don't find a good enough reason to try the NT05R. Not really wanting a MT, BFG, Hoosier or M&H either, so it really only leaves these two.
Those were the two tires I was in between also. it seemed like it was about 60/40 in favor of the TQ's so I went ahead and pulled the trigger. Plus I am still on the stock 17x9" wheels, so I didn't want to run nitto since they weren't as wide. With your 315's they sure bite pretty good though lol
Old 12-22-2015, 01:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Those were the two tires I was in between also. it seemed like it was about 60/40 in favor of the TQ's so I went ahead and pulled the trigger. Plus I am still on the stock 17x9" wheels, so I didn't want to run nitto since they weren't as wide. With your 315's they sure bite pretty good though lol
Yeah I currently have 315 BFG's and they stick decent but wore out super fast and handle like crap lol. Based on all the stuff I've read it seems like "maybe" the NT05R is a tad stickier than the TQ, but wears out a little faster and is a little worse in the rain, with handling being similar. Again this is the impression I'm getting but really have no clue since I cant find anyone who's owned both. Also from what I've read it seems that both tires might be equal in width as well, but again I can't find a direct comparison
Old 12-22-2015, 03:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad u brought this thread back up HCI...

I been going in circles between these exact 3. The one i am leaning towards is the nitto 555r because they seem the be the best for overall daily driving. I just hate how small the 275/40/17 look.

I may consider the Tq though.
Old 12-22-2015, 03:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
Glad u brought this thread back up HCI...

I been going in circles between these exact 3. The one i am leaning towards is the nitto 555r because they seem the be the best for overall daily driving. I just hate how small the 275/40/17 look.

I may consider the Tq though.
I can actually give you a direct comparison between the 555R and TQ since I had both on my Mustang. Basically the TQ was better with dry traction. In terms of wear, wet traction and handling it was very similar to the 555R. IMO the TQ was better overall since it gave up nothing to the 555R and had better traction. Plus it's a wide tire which is always a plus
Old 12-22-2015, 03:56 PM
11 Second Club

I can actually give you a direct comparison between the 555R and TQ since I had both on my Mustang. Basically the TQ was better with dry traction. In terms of wear, wet traction and handling it was very similar to the 555R. IMO the TQ was better overall since it gave up nothing to the 555R and had better traction. Plus it's a wide tire which is always a plus
Yeah my buddy had some 555r's and he wasn't that impressed with them. I'd probably choose between nt05r and toyo tq's. If I remember right, 98CayenneT/A drives nt05r's so he may be able to give some input on those.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah my buddy had some 555r's and he wasn't that impressed with them. I'd probably choose between nt05r and toyo tq's. If I remember right, 98CayenneT/A drives nt05r's so he may be able to give some input on those.
I really should just go with a MT but I can't stand the quick wear and mushy feeling in turns lol. The BFG was like that so I imagine the MT is only worse. With that said it seems that the TQ and NT05R are the only 2 viable options for me that give a bit both worlds if you know what I mean. They are both cheap and within 10 bucks of each other too, so that's a bonus
Old 12-22-2015, 05:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

My last pair were the nt05r's, I'm on Et streets right now.
Had the 555r and was not impressed myself, maybe for a daily that sees rain on the highway.....
I loved my Nt05r's, good traction, great handling. Poor in the rain. No comparison in traction between the 555r and nt05r.
With my et streets I give up some handling in comparison to the nt05r's but traction wise it's not really even close.
Both et's and nt05r are poor in the rain and imo just stupid to drive on the highway in the rain with them.
With my setup I could get both the nt's and et's to hook at the track, it was just easier and more consistent with the et.
If I never went to the track ( which I do a lot ) and just street drove on nice days I would run the nt05r's, very good all around radial
Old 12-22-2015, 05:11 PM
11 Second Club

I really should just go with a MT but I can't stand the quick wear and mushy feeling in turns lol. The BFG was like that so I imagine the MT is only worse. With that said it seems that the TQ and NT05R are the only 2 viable options for me that give a bit both worlds if you know what I mean. They are both cheap and within 10 bucks of each other too, so that's a bonus
I'm kind of curious too about the mushy feeling for the mt et street dr's. I like to get in it a little in curves now and then so I'm hoping they'll still have enough firmness for decent handling.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
My last pair were the nt05r's, I'm on Et streets right now.
Had the 555r and was not impressed myself, maybe for a daily that sees rain on the highway.....
I loved my Nt05r's, good traction, great handling. Poor in the rain. No comparison in traction between the 555r and nt05r.
With my et streets I give up some handling in comparison to the nt05r's but traction wise it's not really even close.
Both et's and nt05r are poor in the rain and imo just stupid to drive on the highway in the rain with them.
With my setup I could get both the nt's and et's to hook at the track, it was just easier and more consistent with the et.
If I never went to the track ( which I do a lot ) and just street drove on nice days I would run the nt05r's, very good all around radial
Thanks for the input. About how many miles did you get with the NTO5R?
Old 12-22-2015, 05:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Post #7
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-ti...l#post19066313
Old 12-22-2015, 05:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
Lol guess I chatted with you before.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm still a huge fan of the TQs for an overall performing tire. They drive great on the street and I was able to get low 1.7 60s out of them. I switched to the hoosier drs for strictly track use, but I'll continue to run the tqs for my street tires. I didn't drive the car as much as I wanted to this year so the toyos didn't wear much. I probably have about 1/2 the tread left and that's with 2 years of use, some burnouts and some track passes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 275/40-17 Drag Radial, NT05R or Toyo Proxes TQ?