Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Tire questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 02:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire questions

Well, the stock tires arent cutting it anymore after I did all the mods in my sig. As fun as it may sound roasting first through third gear.. Its not at the track.

Heres my situation. I want a better tire that will give me more traction on the streets and at the track. However, I do DD my Z06. That means it might see rain occasionally. With that said, I dont know whether I should buy a spare set of Z06 wheels and get a set of DR's mounted on them, or just save some money and just use the DR's all the time.

I was looking at the BFG KDW 2's.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Will this tire help me in the traction department at the track? Or will I still spin those too? And how are they in the rain?

Just looking for a better all around tire for traction on the dry roads, but still good enough to get me where I need to go IF I do get caught in the rain.

Thanks.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've never had that tire... but it does look grippy!

I have GoodYear F1's and love em... but we all know that's basically a street tire.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:59 AM
LS1Tech Platinum Sponsor

This is a good grippy tire. Excellent in the wet. What are we comparing it against? Which tire do you have now?
Old 08-08-2011, 04:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro_94
I dont know whether I should buy a spare set of Z06 wheels and get a set of DR's mounted on them
This.
The only "drag" tire (using that term kinda loosely here) that will allow you to drive around somewhat safely in the rain is the Nitto 555R, and even then they had better have a lot of tread on them. It is probably about the least sticky tire to use at the track among tires marketed for drag racing use (albeit a step above any regular street tire). Your Z06 will probably have some trouble getting traction with them. If you want to hook then you're going to have to go up to the BFG drag radial, the Mickey Thompson ET Street radial, the Nitto NT05R, or the Hoosier radial.