Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

NEED street traction! et street radial or bias?

Old 08-29-2011, 08:47 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED street traction! et street radial or bias?

I have a c6 z06, around 550rwhp on motor, 850ish on bottle. currently running 325/50-15 et street drag radials. they used to hook on the street a few months back, car has been down a few months, just got back together with better heads and car runs WAAAAY better. Tires WONT hook on the street on motor let alone spray.

either tires are old from sitting 2 months? or I need to goto a 30" tall 315/65-15 et street drag radial?

OR (I'm leaning toward this) old school bias et streets 30x13.50-15 not worried about streetability etc, just need street TRACTION. I can make the 30" fit.

in my f body days I was pulling the front end on old school bias et streets. whats with all the people going with radials?? seems a radial sidewall wouldn't wrinkle like a bias
Old 08-29-2011, 04:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bias ply is normally better on a manual transmission car, however it really depends on the street as well. It sounds like your messing around a bit on unprepped streets, if that's the case sometimes a drag radial is better. Your MT's may have just gotten a little dry from heat cycles and normal street use, that tends to happen when driving drag radials on the street a lot. Hope this helps.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by KTK Z28
Bias ply is normally better on a manual transmission car, however it really depends on the street as well. It sounds like your messing around a bit on unprepped streets, if that's the case sometimes a drag radial is better. Your MT's may have just gotten a little dry from heat cycles and normal street use, that tends to happen when driving drag radials on the street a lot. Hope this helps.
I'm thinking you're right, they used to hook much better. only about another 50rwhp and converter 400rpm higher.

wouldn't bias hook better than radial on the street though???

I street race in MEXICO ((((ALOT))))
Old 08-30-2011, 07:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bias ply's will hook better on the street than radials in my experience. Also when a bias ply spins, it will work and hook quicker, than once a radial starts spinning. Once a radial spins, it usually does so for quite a while. I see your sig says 4l80e, so I'm assuming you're still using an auto. Even though most auto cars will go faster with a radial, sometimes given your current suspension setup, a bias ply tire is the best band aid for traction.

On a side note, I'd LOVE to see some pictures of your C6 on business wheels/tires!
Old 08-30-2011, 10:32 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 192 Likes on 161 Posts

Drag radials tend to get hard from heat cycling and then sitting idle for long periods. At your power level it may not help, but try doing a serious smokeshow and then seeing how they hook. At least you'll know before getting rid of them.

If my MT's sit for a while I always have to do that before heading to the track, or else they WILL NOT hook.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Camaro396
Bias ply's will hook better on the street than radials in my experience. Also when a bias ply spins, it will work and hook quicker, than once a radial starts spinning. Once a radial spins, it usually does so for quite a while. I see your sig says 4l80e, so I'm assuming you're still using an auto. Even though most auto cars will go faster with a radial, sometimes given your current suspension setup, a bias ply tire is the best band aid for traction.

On a side note, I'd LOVE to see some pictures of your C6 on business wheels/tires!
Old 08-31-2011, 06:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

******' A..that thing looks tough! I'm jealous.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:11 AM
Banned

thanks man
Old 09-01-2011, 02:12 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mattz06
I'm thinking you're right, they used to hook much better. only about another 50rwhp and converter 400rpm higher.

wouldn't bias hook better than radial on the street though???

I street race in MEXICO ((((ALOT))))
Yeah it might just be a matter of them getting too many heat cycles. The repeated hot/cold temperature swings really kill sticky tires from what i've seen.

Just in my experience with all the fast street cars in my neck of the woods bias ply's don't ALWAYS hook better on the street. It really depends on the car and the surface your racing on. If your on a unprepped surface all the time you really don't know what your gonna get when you go out, you kind of have to do some experimenting and see what works for your car and the surfaces that your normally on. I would say that the majority of time manual transmission cars do better with bias ply's and automatic cars do better with radials (this is on the street), but again this is all dependent on powerband/converter/clutch/etc. You can maybe even try going to a different drag radial, everybody seems to have different results when it comes to tires.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NEED street traction! et street radial or bias?