Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Lets talk winter tires.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 12:57 PM
LS1Tech Platinum Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lets talk winter tires.

I know lots of members put there cars up for winter but there are quite a few who put snows on for winter. Also you may have another car/van/SUV that you may use snows on. We have lots of snow tires and wheel/tire packages. Don't Under estimate how much having the right tire for the conditions can make. I have lots of expierence with these cars as well as the modern camaros making them go in snow. I will keep an eye on this thread this winter so if you have a question for me fire away. Anyone with any experience please feel free to add feedback.

Last edited by rudytirerack; 10-10-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:07 PM
TECH Resident

I am looking at putting winter tires on my camaro and s10 as they are both being driven at the moment. I hear many people say that winter tires help tremendously but no one saying this lives in a mountainous area.So I am curious how two rwd vehicles will do in the east tn mountains on snow with dedicated winter tires.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:06 PM
Banned

put some Blizzak's on the car and some BFGoodrich KO's on the truck.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:18 PM
Banned

I'm not sure the best winter tires out there will help you with a RWD Camaro. It's a piece of **** in the snow, makes me scared for my life to drive it in the snow. Put it in storage if you can, or drop at least 50-100 lbs of sandbags in the back.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:36 PM
TECH Resident

it use to be put up and only driven on sunny days but unfortunately but both are now forced to be used all year around...unless I can ride bike all year around. Usually winters are nothing here but last 2 years have been pretty bad.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by buellxb12s
it use to be put up and only driven on sunny days but unfortunately but both are now forced to be used all year around...unless I can ride bike all year around. Usually winters are nothing here but last 2 years have been pretty bad.
I used to be in northern Indiana. Winters can be harsh up there. They got 110 inches of snow for the last winter. Moved down to Mississippi recently, winters are nothing here. Got a total of 1 inch of snow last winter. Luckily my Camaro has only seen a couple inches of snow since I've had it, and they don't use salt here in Mississippi.

www.tirerack.com will have great reviews on the best winter tires for you car. That and added weight in the rear will give you the traction you need.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01
I'm not sure the best winter tires out there will help you with a RWD Camaro. It's a piece of **** in the snow, makes me scared for my life to drive it in the snow. Put it in storage if you can, or drop at least 50-100 lbs of sandbags in the back.
A good set of snow tires on all four corners will get you through anything thats not above your rockers panels. My 93 Z plowed through Chicago winters with a set of Blizzaks on it.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FiredUpZ28
A good set of snow tires on all four corners will get you through anything thats not above your rockers panels. My 93 Z plowed through Chicago winters with a set of Blizzaks on it.
I agree, but add a bag or two of sand in the back, for good measure!

My '96 Z has had the luxury of being stored winters, since it was new. My '85 F'bird however, went through 1.5 winters with nothing but 4 all-season tires and sand bags, in place of the GoodYear Eagle GTs. And I live in the snow belt.....
Old 10-09-2011, 08:00 PM
TECH Resident

what about sizes. Im working on getting some dedicated winter wheels. I know skinnier is better so on a stock snow flake wheel or the 5 spoke 97-99 16" wheel (both being an 8 inch wide wheel i believe) what size would you recommend on it?
Old 10-10-2011, 05:34 PM
LS1Tech Platinum Sponsor

I am looking at putting winter tires on my camaro and s10 as they are both being driven at the moment. I hear many people say that winter tires help tremendously but no one saying this lives in a mountainous area.So I am curious how two rwd vehicles will do in the east tn mountains on snow with dedicated winter tires.
I live in an area that is one of the worst in the US for snow. Trust me it will make a night and day difference on both vehicles. Obviously the S10 has higher ground clearance so I would use this on the really bad days.

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01
This is not true. Lots of customer running BMW's, MBZ's, Camaro's, Mustangs in the winter. Snow tires on all 4 wheels make a huge difference.

what about sizes. Im working on getting some dedicated winter wheels. I know skinnier is better so on a stock snow flake wheel or the 5 spoke 97-99 16" wheel (both being an 8 inch wide wheel i believe) what size would you recommend on it?
225/60R16 would be the best size for 8inch rim.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New Englander here.. I get around on all seasons, if I had snows forget about it, I'd be unstoppable.

Seriously though unless they don't plow and its accumulated to the point that you're starting to really plow a significant amount of snow with the front of the car, then you wont have any issues.

A rwd sports car (most of which have pretty decent LSDs)with snow tires will be better in the snow than most of those small AWD suvs with crappy stock all season tires and open differentials all the way around. Those things suck *****. You'd be shocked how many idiots think AWD will save their ***, and they sit there spinning all 4 summer tires in the snow going no where.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As a "snow belter", I'd suggest the inexpensive steel wheels, if Tire Rack still sells them, with a 225/55/16 tire.....
Old 10-17-2011, 08:01 AM
LS1Tech Platinum Sponsor

We have 16 inch wheels to fit starting at $86 each.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:14 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any special pricing for members.

I am looking for winter tires for my 07 HHR with 16" wheels....

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....T&autoModClar=

located 06492 Zip Code, and yes the Avalibility is pushed back till December....
Old 10-17-2011, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I ran the Winterforce tires on my old Town Car and I went through all kinds of Michigan winter hell with no problems at all. I would use them again in a heartbeat if I didn't have 4wd.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:08 PM
LS1Tech Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Any special pricing for members.

I am looking for winter tires for my 07 HHR with 16" wheels....

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....T&autoModClar=

located 06492 Zip Code, and yes the Avalibility is pushed back till December....
Originally Posted by '00_Z
I ran the Winterforce tires on my old Town Car and I went through all kinds of Michigan winter hell with no problems at all. I would use them again in a heartbeat if I didn't have 4wd.
Unfortunately no special pricing. . Yes availability has been tough on some snows this year. The Generals are a great tire at a budget price. The Winter Force would give you similar performance with better availability.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:31 PM
TECH Resident

anyone have experience with nitto winter tires ( a friend of mine works at a shop that can get me some new ones for a great price.) i dont mind paying for good tires its just right now im not in the best shape to spend 600 in tires for winter for both vehicles (1200 total)
Old 11-07-2011, 11:48 PM
On The Tree

Does Nitto even make winter tires? I just looked on their website since you mentioned it and I couldnt find any. If your budget is a higher priority for you, you may want to look into the Nokian Nordman4. Its their old Hakkapeliitta 4 brought back as a budget minded winter tire. Their Hakka line has been around for 75 years, its not a bad tire by any means. You could go to Nokiantires.com to find a dealer in your area. I also noticed that B.F. Goodrich has a winter tire that they came out with last year called the Winter Slalom KSI. I havent seen it on any online sites like Tirerack or others, but you may be able to find them at a local dealer. Not sure on their pricing though. Ive seen the Hankook Winter iPike W409 for some decent prices as well. Whatever your choice, the sooner you get 'em the better. I've heard from a lot of suppliers that demand is high in Europe this year for winter tires (as has been brought up in this thread already). Thus the supply here has been lowered to compensate.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:08 AM
TECH Resident

Thank you grim for your input. I dont mind paying good money for tires (even though things are tight right now) and would rather spend more to prevent a wrecked or totalled car/truck but so far it seems people like the nittos even when compared to the blizzaks
here is a link to a site that sales the nitto winter tire (by no means am I trying to show support to a non sponser just providing a link since its already been stated nritto doesnt seem to show them on their site)
http://www.tirebuyer.com/tirebuyerwi...ow%20To%20High
Old 11-08-2011, 10:44 AM
LS1Tech Platinum Sponsor

If you are looking for an excellent value in a winter tire check out our General Altimax Arctic this tire gets excellent reviews. Also keep in mind if you get wheels and tires all of our packages are Hunter RoadForce mounted and balanced and include lugs and center caps free of charge.

Quick Reply: Lets talk winter tires.