Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Vibration & Clicking Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Vibration & Clicking Noise?

I purchased a set of TT2's. Since I installed them I've had a vibration typically from 60-70, then it gets quite a bit worse above 75. The whole car shakes whether I am on or off the gas.

I've also noticed a clicking sound while driving, mainly above 25 MPH and while next to a highway median.

I'm assuming this is a driveshaft u-joint as well as a balance issue with the wheels? I've had the front wheels rebalanced after adding new tires. The rears are down to the wear marks so I'll be getting new tires soon & having them balanced.

Any other ideas or things to look at? Thanks....
Old 01-03-2012, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HibachiZ28
I purchased a set of TT2's. Since I installed them I've had a vibration typically from 60-70, then it gets quite a bit worse above 75. The whole car shakes whether I am on or off the gas.

I've also noticed a clicking sound while driving, mainly above 25 MPH and while next to a highway median.

I'm assuming this is a driveshaft u-joint as well as a balance issue with the wheels? I've had the front wheels rebalanced after adding new tires. The rears are down to the wear marks so I'll be getting new tires soon & having them balanced.

Any other ideas or things to look at? Thanks....
id def try new tires first
Old 01-05-2012, 08:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yah that's #1 on the list. Just need to find a good used set of 315/35R17's
Old 01-05-2012, 05:46 PM
Staging Lane

make sure the wheels are hub-centric, other than that i'd change out the 2 worn tires and have the wheels road force balanced to make sure everything is straight.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

While I'd be looking at the tires as the primary cause for vibration, you DID remember to remove the "tinnerman nuts" from the wheel studs, before mounting the wheels, right?
Old 01-06-2012, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
While I'd be looking at the tires as the primary cause for vibration, you DID remember to remove the "tinnerman nuts" from the wheel studs, before mounting the wheels, right?
Whats that?
Old 01-06-2012, 04:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TruBloodTransAm
Whats that?
"Tinnerman nuts" are those funky looking clips that are found on 2-3 lugs studs. They're an assembly line deal, to hold drums/rotors in place while the car is going down the assembly line, before the wheels are installed.

OE wheels have a recess to accomodate them, but many aftermarket wheels do not, therefore it's possible to have aftermarket wheels not sit flush on the hubs, which can cause a wobble.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
"Tinnerman nuts" are those funky looking clips that are found on 2-3 lugs studs. They're an assembly line deal, to hold drums/rotors in place while the car is going down the assembly line, before the wheels are installed.

OE wheels have a recess to accomodate them, but many aftermarket wheels do not, therefore it's possible to have aftermarket wheels not sit flush on the hubs, which can cause a wobble.
Thanks, always good to know.

I did a search on google images to see what they look like. I came across this thread.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:30 AM
On The Tree

start with the easy stuff, make sure all of your lugs are tight

Quick Reply: Vibration & Clicking Noise?