Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Continental Extreme Contact DW straight line traction?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 05:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Continental Extreme Contact DW straight line traction?

Im getting some new summer tires for my 1999 Camaro SS stock 275 tire size. The car is mostly stock with 3.73 gears

Current tires: BFG KDW... Handles well but breaks loose in first gear and again on 1-2 shift

My friends similar car has Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500's and they hook in 1st but on tirerack the Continentals are rated a better handling tire (I do a lot of mountain road driving)

So, does anyone have the Continental Extreme Contact DW on their street car? Do they hook well on acceleration?
Old 03-07-2012, 10:52 AM
TECH Resident

I'm interested as well. These are a Consumer Reports Recommended Buy as well.
They are also close to 5 lbs lighter than compareable tires.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:08 PM
LS1Tech Platinum Sponsor

Because its a softer compound it should offer improved traction for take off. Tires are fantastic and a great value.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have them on my mothers 04 z06. Very awesome tire. They hook very well and are great in the turns. They have lasted a good while too. We arent talking about a normal grandmother here. She pushes and beats on it like it owes her money.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:39 PM
Teching In

Geeat i'm ordering a set for my Camaro then, thanks for the reports, ill post up how I like them on a week when I get a chance to beat on them
Old 03-08-2012, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

I've had them for a couple of months now in a 275/40-17 all around and like them very much. For me it was these or NT-05's, but I couldn't justify the possibility of replacing my tires every year on the NT-05's being a dual purpose (DD/Solo II) tire. I can break the DW's free if I really want to, yet they do hook well for a everyday street tire and handle very well in curves. The only funny thing I've felt so far are that they may track a little on a heavily grooved concrete freeway at speed. I'm still waiting on my back ordered helmet so i don't have any Solo II time on them yet, but I'm thinking they should do well as a dual purpose tire. No they will not grip like an R888 or a dedicated track tire, but they do better than most "street" tires I have driven on so far. Right now I'm running them at 36 psi front/34 psi rear and they feel nice and seem to be wearing in the right spot. Going to bump it up a couple more psi f/r next week and see how that feels, performs, and wears.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Handling wise, I've found them to be very good. The ride is real good and they aren't as loud as some people have told me they'd be. On acceleration, they do better than I thought they would. I can still light them up after takeoff in first, but that's on real hard acceleration. I really like them and am going to get them again when I need new ones. I can't wait for them to actually release the 315's I've seen on their site.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:26 AM
TECH Resident

I am now leaning back towards the NT05's just because I don't need a great all around tire. I only drive the car in great conditions mostly besides getting caught maybe in a rain storm. But these are still high on my list.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

i have them on my DD bmw 330. theyre a great tire but right now im only at about 14,000 miles on them and theyre already close to the wear bars... i do drive thwem rasther hard but id still expect a little more life out of them. but if youre not too concerned about tread life id definitely recomend them!
Old 03-18-2012, 08:24 PM
Launching!

Well ironically enough, i have a pair of wide ovals and a pair of continental dw's on my ws6 right now; had both pairs for almost a year now.. imho, the continentals hook up better, but the wide ovals handle curves better; (i can feel the softer tread of the continentals when they are up front.) So ideally, I leave the firestones up front and the continentals in back. I do rotate the tires though (relatively speaking, since the wide ovals are directional tires).. Neither completely outshine the other though, they are both good tires in my opinion. yes I can easily break both of them loose, yes they can both understeer upfront, but i am extremely happy with both. Also, good treadwear so far.. For a DD, or a car that sees mostly street time, they are a great tire. Dont expect crazy launches from them though.

Quick Reply: Continental Extreme Contact DW straight line traction?