Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Wheel Adapters, Rim selection / offset help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 10:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wheel Adapters, Rim selection / offset help!

Soooooooo, I've been searching and reading posts for days now and just wanted to clear up some things before I make another purchase.

My stock rims are shot, it's time for me to make a change. I'm looking to put OE C6 replicas on my '01 trans am. I've always been unhappy with how far my rims sit in the rear wheel well. I've done some research and bought the H&R wheel adapters, 20mm, in order to push them out a bit / have a more aggressive look. I've been getting nervous about whether using spacers/adapters are a safety issue. Seems that using adapters, instead of spacers is safe because they bolt on using the existing studs and have there own extended studs. Is this true? I still plan on checking them to ensure their tight but should I be concerned about this?

I was hoping to do 18"/9.5" C6 rims in the front and 18"/10.5" rims in the rear...plus the 20mm spacer. I've noticed that OE sells this combination with 17" rims in the front instead. Is there any benefit to this? I just assumed keep the same size for both front and rear (aside from the width).

Do you think this (either) would be a good combination? The offset of these rims from OE are +54 front (17") and + 56 rear (18"). The range on the "Wheel & Tire" sticky say that 10.5" rears should have an offset of 38mm to 50mm. These rims are 56mm. Is this a problem? Would this really be a 36" offset with the 20mm adapters? I'm a little confused about offsets so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I know this was a ton of info to ask about but I'd really appreciate if anyone could lead me in the right direction. Thanks guys.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:38 AM
Teching In

The 17/18 inch setup is for aesthetics. However if the width of front/rear tires are not correct your speedometer will be off and your ABS will not work correctly. I've seen some people say it doesn't matter if you get hubcentric spacers or adapters, but keep in mind if you get adapters they don't make them as thin as spacers. If the rear wheel is a +56mm offset and you add a 20mm spacer you will indeed have 36mm offset. This should sit flush with the fender.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:24 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the quick reply CP-Z28! I really appreciate the info.

I just realized I made a mistake, the adapters I bought were 25mm. So then this means my offset will be 31. Is this too much of an offset as the sticky recommends an offset of 38mm to 50mm?

I'm really hoping not to run into any speedometer / ABS issues. In this senario, what exactly is a wrong tire width? What would you recommend? I was thinking 275 on the front, 9.5", and 295 on the rear, 10.5". Thanks again!
Old 03-21-2012, 07:18 AM
Teching In

any other thoughts on this? I spoke to OE and they said that I'll probably end up returning the adapters to H&R beause the wheels will already in like with the fender.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CP-Z28
The 17/18 inch setup is for aesthetics. However if the width of front/rear tires are not correct your speedometer will be off and your ABS will not work correctly. I've seen some people say it doesn't matter if you get hubcentric spacers or adapters, but keep in mind if you get adapters they don't make them as thin as spacers. If the rear wheel is a +56mm offset and you add a 20mm spacer you will indeed have 36mm offset. This should sit flush with the fender.
It's not the width of the tire, it's the height of the tire that f's up your ABS calculations. You want to try to stay around the same diameter front and rear. If it's different from stock then you will need your PCM tuned to accept the new ratios.

Quick Reply: Wheel Adapters, Rim selection / offset help!