Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

15" wheels clearing brakes?

Old 03-23-2012, 11:58 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 15" wheels clearing brakes?

i've been looking around for a drag pack and realized some ppl say they need to grind their brakes for 15's and others dont say a thing about it, just wondering if anybody can help clear this up for me a lil bit. im not against grinding the brakes just want to know if i'll have to or not
Old 03-23-2012, 12:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if you use weld stars you will have to do some grinding but why not grind them and smooth them out and make them look good anyways? if you use race stars you will be ok they are direct fit, also bogarts are as well and a few others,
Old 03-23-2012, 12:48 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Certain wheels you will have to grind, even some wheels they say will fit could require a touch of grinding, its not a big deal though, i have street driven on my grinded prostars for a long time, weld rts should clear,same with bogarts, racestars and street lights say no grinding but i have seen people had to grind a lil,you could run a 17 front runner which i think looks the best, what is your budget?and what wheels were you going to go with, you could also need spacers/longer studs
Old 03-23-2012, 12:50 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 82cetuner
if you use weld stars you will have to do some grinding but why not grind them and smooth them out and make them look good anyways? if you use race stars you will be ok they are direct fit, also bogarts are as well and a few others,
Weld Prostars, Draglites, Rodlites, Billet Specialties, and a few others will not fit without modification. Weld Racings new RTS wheels and their RT series wheels will clear front and rear without grinding in 99.9% of cases. In the .01% some have had to do a slight grinding on a caliper fin, so little that it can be done with a hand file. Bogart also makes a direct fit front and rear wheel for the vehicle. I'd stray away from the lesser expensive wanna-be wheels like the Summit/Jegs versions.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:56 PM
10 Second Club

I got a question what about needing custom offset wheels? they dont make the RT-s 15 in anything but a 7.5 backspace, I took 2.25 inches off my rear wheel and current run a 11 inch rim with a 5.5 backspace I assume with a 10 inch wheel I would need a 5.0 backspace to keep it centered or should I go with a 4.5 to keep 5.5 inches on the outside? I also need to find a 15 inch wheel that offers different offsets, I had my rear calipers shaved down and powdercoated so I am pretty sure they will fit, if not i will just gind them more and repowdercoat them.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 82cetuner
I got a question what about needing custom offset wheels? they dont make the RT-s 15 in anything but a 7.5 backspace, I took 2.25 inches off my rear wheel and current run a 11 inch rim with a 5.5 backspace I assume with a 10 inch wheel I would need a 5.0 backspace to keep it centered or should I go with a 4.5 to keep 5.5 inches on the outside? I also need to find a 15 inch wheel that offers different offsets, I had my rear calipers shaved down and powdercoated so I am pretty sure they will fit, if not i will just gind them more and repowdercoat them.
I'm confused what makes you say the RTS isn't offered in anything but a 7.5 backspac. They are offered in several backspaces in half-inch incriments. Your best bet would be 15x10 with 5.5" backspace.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:28 PM
10 Second Club

well i just went to the site and for 15s it only offered one backspace, the 17s had lots of backspacking options I only want to run 15s on the back
Old 03-23-2012, 01:31 PM
10 Second Club

well im torn between the 4.5 and the 5.5 because I am not sure weather the inner or outer fender would give me more clearence since a 5.0 backspace would be optimal to keep the wheel centered with a 10 inch rim, like i said my 11 inch is 5.5 and its perfect 315s fit just right with no BFH or or rolled fenders. I am still torn on tire size also I know i want to run a 26 inch tire and as much as everyone is telling me to go with bias ply tires since I am a 6 speed I really want to stick with drag radials so I can drive to the track with them and not have to worry about having radials on the front and bias on back. but I may wind up getting a full set of 15 welds anyways just dont want to spend 2000 on a drag package right now
Old 03-23-2012, 02:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Camaro396
Weld Prostars, Draglites, Rodlites, Billet Specialties, and a few others will not fit without modification. Weld Racings new RTS wheels and their RT series wheels will clear front and rear without grinding in 99.9% of cases. In the .01% some have had to do a slight grinding on a caliper fin, so little that it can be done with a hand file. Bogart also makes a direct fit front and rear wheel for the vehicle. I'd stray away from the lesser expensive wanna-be wheels like the Summit/Jegs versions.
Keep in mind that if you have your drag setup balanced, the placement of the wheel weights may require grinding of the calipers or offsetting the weights way in to the inside edge of the barrel. Then again, there are some racers out there who do not even bother balancing their drag setups. It is good to feel nice and smooth trapping at speed though!
Old 02-14-2014, 03:24 PM
Staging Lane

Im looking into Champion 15x10 XV beadlock wheels with 4.5 backspace on a ford 9 narrowed 3" a side on an 2000 TA. Anybody know if you needed to grind?
Old 02-14-2015, 10:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also wondering if the weld v series front runner 15x3.5 bs 1 3/4 will fit over stock front brakes before I go ahead and spend $$ on these wheels for my trans am.

Weld Racing 784B-15274 - Weld Racing V-Series Black Wheels
Old 12-30-2015, 03:24 PM
10 Second Club

reving from dead but i also am curious about the v series fitting over fronts as well. im looking into a new more high end beadlock rim setup i got the back figures out with drag brakes. dont want to do drag brakes all around just yet so need to know a good skinny to run up that also offers a beadlock rear in same brand

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 15" wheels clearing brakes?