Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Perfect wheel dressing combo? I think so!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Perfect wheel dressing combo? I think so!

I rarely visit outside of the locked closet from the CTS-V forum, but figured this was generic enough to apply to any configuration. See original post.

Brake dust repellent + Black Tire Coat!

Black Tire Coat website

I hate my dirty rims & I hate my dirty tires. I bought these tires used from NeverSatisified & they're a lil rough around the edges, but servicable until I get a whole new wheel setup. So, I was bored waiting on meeting someone that I was 30mins early for, I stopped into an Autozone. I browsed around & found this Black Tire Coat. When I washed my car & sprayed this, I was skeptical, but it's still glossy after two days when I took the below pictures!

YOU CAN SEE ME IN THE REFLECTION! The color change around 1oclock is relection as well, not a difference in gloss. If you look close, you can tell it'd the car door.

You can tell this isn't a black paint either because you can see thru it where the tire was marked with a grease pencil (you can kinda see some dust on the gloss):

I've always liked the wet tire look & this stuff keeps it looking wet for months (per the packaging), so we'll see. It's DRY TO THE TOUCH too! Easy to spray on, set it & forget it. But, with the Armor All brake dust repellent & this black tire coat? I think I'm set! The only downside I see is that if it gets hit with dust while still drying, that dust sticks. My back tires have a bunch of dust stuck on it, but it says to wait 3 days until fully cured to be most durable. I'll try wiping it down to see how it holds up.

I'm also ready for new wheels as these are in really good condition (ZERO rash), but the paint is flaking/cracking in the corners.

Demo video:
http://youtu.be/wXHBVo1xAiU

Last edited by LAYGO; 03-29-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:39 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That stuff on a stock wheel isnt bad but is junk on polished/chrome wheels, we tried it on 3 diff rims, left white crap on the wheel, its hard to find crap that i like to use, so im glad you found something you like, i use armoral wipes, dont fling/build up and keeps the tires looking new, for shows i got a 5gall,of this diamond shine gel crap that gives the wet look
Old 03-28-2012, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm impressed. Definitely will have to pick up some of that tire dressing. Thanks for the heads-up!
Old 03-28-2012, 05:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
That stuff on a stock wheel isnt bad but is junk on polished/chrome wheels, we tried it on 3 diff rims, left white crap on the wheel, its hard to find crap that i like to use, so im glad you found something you like, i use armoral wipes, dont fling/build up and keeps the tires looking new, for shows i got a 5gall,of this diamond shine gel crap that gives the wet look
So is the brake dust stuff no good on chrome? Turtle gel has an awesome shine. Keep us posted on how it last.

Tire and rims look great man...
Old 03-28-2012, 06:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My biggest issue with wet tire stuff is fling...maybe I should give this a try.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks good...I also am am a fan of the wet look.

I use a 4" paint brush to work it in the treads and any cracks to help prevent throwing it on my cars.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

looks good, i used the wheel protectant on my rims on my old s10, had a polished aluminum lip, worked good let it set up and no problems, its like a temporary clear coat..
Old 03-28-2012, 08:06 PM
TECH Addict

So, I take it this stuff doesn't sling off at all? That would be pretty impressive if that's the case. I love the wet tire look.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

There is ZERO fling. I let it dry over night, but it recommends at least an hour drying before driving. If you look at the wheel wells, you don't see ANY wet spots. ZERO FLING/SLING/MONEY SHOTS on the side of your car.

I thought I had some mud on one of my tires, but it turns out it was this stuff peeling up, almost like bad surface prep. Looking at it close, it reminds me of rubber cement, but obviously dries in a wet look vs cloudy dry. I took some cell phone pics last night, but got a good look this morning of it. I'll take some pics with my camera after work:

After 4 days, 1 rain storm (20mins prior to photo):
Old 03-29-2012, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Added video to first post.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

You should check out PERL, its amazing. Looks good tho OP
Old 03-29-2012, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CamaroSS27
You should check out PERL, its amazing. Looks good tho OP
Unless it's dry to the touch after an hour, has zero sling, and stays glossy after a week, I'm not interested. I think I've found my stuff.

Apparently, I might've gone a lil thicker than instructions so it's almost a clear coat vs just a wet with water look per the video. I'm fine with the clear coat look, especially if it lasts longer. I might have to redo the one wheel with the peeling though & REALLY clean that tire. I didn't think to use a degreaser, only soap, water, & elbow grease to clean the sidewall, which MIGHT account for the peeling.

Oh, I should go on record, I'm not affiliated with Turtle Wax at all, but I am a big pimp of products I like!
Old 03-29-2012, 12:17 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

...but the pictures you posted above clearly show that it doesn't stay looking nice after 4 days. What am I missing here?
Old 03-29-2012, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
...but the pictures you posted above clearly show that it doesn't stay looking nice after 4 days. What am I missing here?
That's one spot of 4 tires. The rest of the tires are exactly like day 1.

I believe the one spot is from bad surface prep than an issue with the product itself. I'll get videos here in a min Mr Smarty Pants.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:28 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I always had a hard time with those particular BFG tires...they always end up looking that way after a while, regardless of what you do. Not sure what it was, but that brown **** comes back regularly.

What are you using to clean the tires before you put this stuff on?

And you can check the name calling at the door. It's a legitimate question since that picture directly contradicts your first post.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LAYGO
Unless it's dry to the touch after an hour, has zero sling, and stays glossy after a week, I'm not interested. I think I've found my stuff.

Apparently, I might've gone a lil thicker than instructions so it's almost a clear coat vs just a wet with water look per the video. I'm fine with the clear coat look, especially if it lasts longer. I might have to redo the one wheel with the peeling though & REALLY clean that tire. I didn't think to use a degreaser, only soap, water, & elbow grease to clean the sidewall, which MIGHT account for the peeling.

Oh, I should go on record, I'm not affiliated with Turtle Wax at all, but I am a big pimp of products I like!
dries in minutes, zero sling, is gives a deep black that last for weeks, and doesn't attract grim and dirt as it appears on your second picture. Much better than OTC products.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I always had a hard time with those particular BFG tires...they always end up looking that way after a while, regardless of what you do. Not sure what it was, but that brown **** comes back regularly.

What are you using to clean the tires before you put this stuff on?

And you can check the name calling at the door. It's a legitimate question since that picture directly contradicts your first post.
It might be the additive coming thru the sidewall. I think these tires are at almost 4 yrs old (the grease pencil markings say "10/10/08" [I think]).

It might be attributed to the stuff referenced in this video:
http://www.turtlewax.com/tirewheelhu...scolored-tires

http://youtu.be/dvgitAUyOZE

I'm trying to upload my video I just took, but I'm guessing Youtube uploads might be blocked at work. After 10mins, it still sitting at 0%. On top of it all, my camera battery died RIGHT after getting to the wheel with the issue! GAH!
Old 03-29-2012, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

See if this URL works. It's picasa, but obviously using Youtube player:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink
Old 03-29-2012, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

I've had similar results with the Black Magic tire gel
Old 03-29-2012, 02:25 PM
Captain Double Post

Honest we just didnt have any luck with it, but now that i think about it, i think it was the eagle one stuff, also could have been that the wheels were waxed or polished not letting it dry, also what we used would leave white spots on the tire, i guess just make sure you only hit rim, it didnt work well for us but im glad to see people are having better luck with it then we did

Quick Reply: Perfect wheel dressing combo? I think so!