Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Help with pro star fitment and tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 12:12 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with pro star fitment and tires

I know I'll have a few complaints, but I have checked out the stickies and searched... not enough tho.

I'm looking to get rid of my ZR-1's and get some pro stars. I've read that a 15x10 with a 7.5" BS should fit with "minimal" grinding on the rear caliper. How about the fronts? I want to run something close to a 15x7 but I dont want to trash my calipers. Am I just out of luck, or is there a old racers secret that will magically make them fit? Not giant spacers.

Secondly, I'm curious about what kinds of tires you guys are running on the back? I dont want a slick because it's a street car and will probably never see the track until I get a 12 bolt.

Time for brutal honesty, I just want the look of the slicks and skinnys but still be able to drive safely on the road. I dont want to grind the calipers too much, I need the front tires to be wide enough and rear tires safe enough to be driven on the street and possibly *some* rain. Although I have 315 Nitto 555R's on the back and am already very extremely super careful in the rain when/if I see it.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can't fit a bigger 15 inch wheel on the front because the brake rotor is too big. It takes a 16 wheel to be able to clear the front brakes

You will need to do a considerable amount of grinding if you are not using a spacer
Old 04-26-2012, 07:47 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont think you will be able to fit a 15x6 wheel in the front, i run a 15x3.5 front with a spacer/longer studs ,your going to grind a good bit pending more or less on spacers etc, honest unless your buying them used i dont see the point in doing all that when all these great drag wheels are out that fit with no issues, yes there a lil more than prostars but figure in the extra cost and the hassel of grinding calipers, imo spend a lil more per rim and be much happier
Old 04-26-2012, 10:37 AM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by my95LTwon
I know I'll have a few complaints, but I have checked out the stickies and searched... not enough tho.

I'm looking to get rid of my ZR-1's and get some pro stars. I've read that a 15x10 with a 7.5" BS should fit with "minimal" grinding on the rear caliper. How about the fronts? I want to run something close to a 15x7 but I dont want to trash my calipers. Am I just out of luck, or is there a old racers secret that will magically make them fit? Not giant spacers.

Secondly, I'm curious about what kinds of tires you guys are running on the back? I dont want a slick because it's a street car and will probably never see the track until I get a 12 bolt.

Time for brutal honesty, I just want the look of the slicks and skinnys but still be able to drive safely on the road. I dont want to grind the calipers too much, I need the front tires to be wide enough and rear tires safe enough to be driven on the street and possibly *some* rain. Although I have 315 Nitto 555R's on the back and am already very extremely super careful in the rain when/if I see it.
Then keep the ZR1s and stay away from 15s
Old 04-26-2012, 11:30 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have driven on my drag set up for over 2 years, i would not reccomend it to any one that does alot of street driving, there called a drag setup mainly for track use, i had a few close calls just due to the fact of the drag setup, no matter what your brakes wont be as good, tires can get in grooves etc and pull ya . overall bud you dont want a drag setup, then if you do get caught in a down pour even if ya go with a tire that is somewhat decent for the rain it can be very dangerous, if ya want a drag look what i would do is run a 17x7ish front , with a 15 rear and pay the money for a better wheel, and the nitto drs are not the best race tire but are not bad for everyday use, most guys that run a drag setup all the time its pretty much a weekend/show cruiser
Old 04-27-2012, 12:37 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the input guys, I'll take it in another direction. Maybe one day it will turn into a tack only car. I'll have to settle with some torq thrusts
Old 04-27-2012, 12:38 AM
Launching!

I had to grind the hell out of my calipers and I still had to use spacers.