Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Pilot Sport Cup Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 05:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Angry Pilot Sport Cup Issues

I picked up a new set of wheels this month and I wanted to buy a set of badass tires for the back. I ended up buying a pair of Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires since they're apparently one of the best possible street tires on the market.

They're 305/30/19.

To put it nicely, I'm not impressed. They consistently spin 3rd gear, even rolling into it! They do not stick until 4th gear. This isn't a comforting feeling going sideways at 80mph. My car doesn't make that much power - about 480rwhp with 3.90 gears.

I came from a 305/35/18 Toyo R888. These tires would typically hook up 2nd gear rolling into the gas.

Anyone have any ideas? Did I get a bad pair? Are they just always this terrible? Is this the price that I have to pay for running a 19" wheel with a 30 series sidewall?

For almost $700/tire, I'm not happy.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i read an article in one of the Chevy magazines where the new zr1's were only cutting 2.2 60's with them....that was also at 2 different tracks, one during the day (2.3 second 60') and the other one at night (2.1-2.2 60'). I know the new vettes equipped with the tires are putting crazy number's down at actual course tracks, but in terms of straight line performance, they don't seem to be grabbing any better than last year's tires.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

oh, car looks great btw
Old 05-14-2012, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They arent a grippy tire from a dig, Michelins really never are
Old 05-14-2012, 11:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Blk98Vert
They arent a grippy tire from a dig, Michelins really never are
I didn't expect them to be awesome from a dig, but I at least expected them to put up a bit of a fight from a 60MPH roll...
Old 05-14-2012, 11:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by RoidedSS
i read an article in one of the Chevy magazines where the new zr1's were only cutting 2.2 60's with them....that was also at 2 different tracks, one during the day (2.3 second 60') and the other one at night (2.1-2.2 60'). I know the new vettes equipped with the tires are putting crazy number's down at actual course tracks, but in terms of straight line performance, they don't seem to be grabbing any better than last year's tires.
Good to know. Thanks!
Old 05-15-2012, 09:29 AM
Staging Lane

what pressure are you running? Maybe its one of those tires that gets a lot better once they are worn in a bit?
Old 05-17-2012, 04:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have been reading about the Michelin Super sports, they seem to be really good at traction, cornering, etc...
Old 05-17-2012, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

these are road course tires, not straight line tires. With such a small sidewall you aren't going to have ANY traction unless you get a set of drag radials. Even then, don't except to 60' on small sidewalls. I had 315/30/18 falken azenis rt615's (very highly-rated autocross tire) and with 320 at the tires, it would break loose at 75mph when i hit it. Michelins are known for their smooth, quiet ride; and their ability to tear through corners. Straight line... not so much.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:07 PM
12 Second Club

This^^^

Oh and bad *** new wheels man!
You need more low.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Considering you went from a R compound "track" tire to a full street tire I'm not surprised. I have the 335/30/18's R888's on my car and they stick like glue. Why did you switch?
Old 05-18-2012, 09:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

They are incredible tires for road courses. The 400+ HP Porsches all run them on road courses for the very best in traction in their rear engined cars. They run pressures starting at 30 -32 pounds for 19" tires and never let them get above 36 pounds when hot. When I owned my 911 I had them in 17" and loved them, but what a difference when the engine weight is sitting over those rear tires. I'm not sure how impressive these Sport Cups would be on a front engine Corvette in a straight line. Sometimes you have to really dig deep into the info for each specific car model. I bet you can find a happy middle ground for the Corvette but it will just take some experimenting and knowledge from fellow Corvette drivers with your same set up. Good luck!
Old 05-18-2012, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1-IROC
Considering you went from a R compound "track" tire to a full street tire I'm not surprised. I have the 335/30/18's R888's on my car and they stick like glue. Why did you switch?
The Michelin Sport Cup is in a similar class as the R-888. May even be a bit softer.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:06 PM
LS1Tech Platinum Sponsor

Correct. Pilot Sport Cup are Road Race track tires they are not drag radials. One other thing to consider if they are new they may still have the mold release on the tires making them slippery. Giving them 300 miles or so should wear this off.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^ good info for future tire purchases for everyone
Old 05-20-2012, 07:21 AM
TECH Resident

Man 700$ a tire :0 that's big money
Old 05-20-2012, 12:24 PM
12 Second Club

Yes^^^ yes it is lol
Old 05-20-2012, 03:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rudytirerack
Correct. Pilot Sport Cup are Road Race track tires they are not drag radials. One other thing to consider if they are new they may still have the mold release on the tires making them slippery. Giving them 300 miles or so should wear this off.

Absolutely! Most new tires damn near come with a glaze on the outer contact patch (similar to motorcycle tires, sketchy as **** when brand new). But with some miles put on and that surface rubber scruffed up a bit you should see them start to work better. Also being on a 19" wheel doesn't allow for much tire flex to help with straight line grip. Since it is more of a cornering tire the sidewalls are generally stiffer which only adds to your problems....
Old 05-20-2012, 07:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ec_nova
these are road course tires, not straight line tires. With such a small sidewall you aren't going to have ANY traction unless you get a set of drag radials. Even then, don't except to 60' on small sidewalls. I had 315/30/18 falken azenis rt615's (very highly-rated autocross tire) and with 320 at the tires, it would break loose at 75mph when i hit it. Michelins are known for their smooth, quiet ride; and their ability to tear through corners. Straight line... not so much.
I had those tires, they sucked baddddd.
Very nice vette Adam. It's supid sexy.

I'm surprised you don't like those tires. Give it some more break in time.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:55 PM
TECH Junkie

I apparently don't have enough time to check my own threads.

Originally Posted by 94stanger
what pressure are you running? Maybe its one of those tires that gets a lot better once they are worn in a bit?

I started at 32, then 30, now 25lbs. They're already mildly warn. Maybe a big burnout will help? Haha

Originally Posted by FBGSU02
I have been reading about the Michelin Super sports, they seem to be really good at traction, cornering, etc...
I'd heard nothing but praise too...that's exactly why I bought them...

I didn't buy these expecting to cut good 60' times or even use with any confidence in 1st gear. I have a CCW drag pack that I use when I mean business. Maybe I'm asking too much of them still. I just don't see why so many people are so excited about these tires if it feels like you're on a skating rink until 4th gear.

Originally Posted by desertLS1
This^^^

Oh and bad *** new wheels man!
You need more low.
Thanks man!! Lowering bolts sitting here at home! I'm just lacking time right now...

Originally Posted by NC01TA
They are incredible tires for road courses. The 400+ HP Porsches all run them on road courses for the very best in traction in their rear engined cars. They run pressures starting at 30 -32 pounds for 19" tires and never let them get above 36 pounds when hot. When I owned my 911 I had them in 17" and loved them, but what a difference when the engine weight is sitting over those rear tires. I'm not sure how impressive these Sport Cups would be on a front engine Corvette in a straight line. Sometimes you have to really dig deep into the info for each specific car model. I bet you can find a happy middle ground for the Corvette but it will just take some experimenting and knowledge from fellow Corvette drivers with your same set up. Good luck!
Thanks for the insight!

If I understand correctly, new C6 Z06 (Z07?) Corvettes come with these stock. Different sizes though, and of course a C5 is no C6.

Originally Posted by LS1-IROC
I'm pretty sure the compound is softer on the Cup tires (treadware 80). The R888s have a higher treadware.

I have the R888s on my Z06 wheels, but went with the Cups on my new HRE wheels.

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
The Michelin Sport Cup is in a similar class as the R-888. May even be a bit softer.
Yep. You got it.

Originally Posted by rudytirerack
I'll keep this in mind! Thank you!

Originally Posted by tata
Absolutely! Most new tires damn near come with a glaze on the outer contact patch (similar to motorcycle tires, sketchy as **** when brand new). But with some miles put on and that surface rubber scruffed up a bit you should see them start to work better. Also being on a 19" wheel doesn't allow for much tire flex to help with straight line grip. Since it is more of a cornering tire the sidewalls are generally stiffer which only adds to your problems....
That's good info. I definitely know the 19" wheel isn't helping things, but I wasn't sure quite how much it would hurt either.

Originally Posted by 98BLOWNZ28
I had those tires [Azenis 615], they sucked baddddd.
Very nice vette Adam. It's supid sexy.

I'm surprised you don't like those tires. Give it some more break in time.
Thanks a lot!! I'll post back after some more miles!

Quick Reply: Pilot Sport Cup Issues