Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Suggestions for Good Wet Weather Tires for a WS6?

Old 06-06-2012, 04:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Suggestions for Good Wet Weather Tires for a WS6?

Looking to replace the set of Goodyear Eagle F1s that I have on my 2002 WS6 and wondered if you guys had any suggestions for a wet weather tire?

It's a daily driver - and I run between the east coast and west coast periodically. (Florida to Cali) So definitely warm weather/summer tires - and when I'm in Florida I need to have it stick during the daily downpours during hurricane season. California I like to play running it through the curves in the canyons. And I really open it up running across the desert - so with the heat and speed - something z rated is my first choice.

I've been happy with the F1s - but have developed a crack in a sidewall that's worrying me so figured I should start shopping. I've had the michelins before - seemed a bit noisier/stiffer than the goodyears. I like hearing my engine or exhaust, but tire noise doesn't do anything for me. The tires that came stock on my first firebird (94) drove me nuts because they'd fishtail at idle speed backing out of a parking spot if there was dew on the pavement.

It's all stock - same tire on all 4 corners. (275/40/17) No time at the track (tho maybe someday). Been reading reviews on everything from the Continental ExtremeContact DW to the Nitto NT05... Price really seems to vary - don't know if that's a result of their marketing budget or indicator of how happy I'll be with the tire.

Can anyone suggest a tire that'll handle well and let me have some fun running through the canyons and desert while still sticking to the road well when I have to take it swimming?

Thanks Much!
Old 06-07-2012, 10:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

check tire rack - their surveys and reviews are the best.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From everything I hear the GS-D3 is a fantastic rain tire.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:21 PM
LS1Tech Platinum Sponsor

GS D3 are no longer made.

1. Michelin Pilot Super Sport

2. Conti DW

Best options!
Old 06-07-2012, 07:12 PM
Banned

if this was 5 years ago, I would say the BFGoodrich KDW (original tread), they were the best all around tire. Nowadays, I would recommend the Continental DW and FIrestone Firehawk Wide Oval. I am running Nitto NT-05's year round. I would be cautious running through standing water, but i like them. Been through VA and FL weather.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:03 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I'm coming from the Eagle F1 GS, so the GS D3 had me curious - I've seen a few online with some deals on them and wondered how they compared. If they're not making them anymore then maybe the deals are clearance prices. List on mine were a bit more expensive and couldn't figure out why unless it's just for slightly more treadwear - 300 vs 280? (tho when I purchased I got what I thought was a tremendous overstock deal - $600 for all four delivered to my door)

I think I can rule out the Michelin SS - tried those already - seemed noisier than the eagles. The reviews on the continentals certainly seem like people are happy with them - checked out the corvette, fbody and even some porsche owner reviews. Definitely curious about these.

Cookba - looks like we're both in Tampa. Have you had those NT-05's out in the last couple days? We've had enough rain to probably wash the oil off the roads, but it's still pretty wet out there. Any issues other than avoiding South Tampa? (land of the standing water)

Thanks again Everyone!!
Old 06-08-2012, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out Continentals Extreme Contacts DWS - great tread life (50,000 miles) and great traction(Dry Wet Snow)
Old 06-08-2012, 07:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry I meant 540 for tread life
Old 06-11-2012, 10:30 PM
Teching In

I've had the Conti DW's on for about 4 weeks now, and they are great, especially for the price. Good rain traction, hook in dry weather nicely, and pretty quiet. I like these over my previous 555's.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:09 PM
Banned

no i havent had the car on the road lately. since i work in South Tampa i drive my truck most days. I have driven them in light snow and pouring rain without an issue. but i wouldnt say i am 100% comfortable going at speed with the tires like I am in my truck with a terential downpour. the NT-05 is a really good tire though.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Drove my nto5 first time yesterday in the rain....felt confident, no drag radial jitters.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suggestions for Good Wet Weather Tires for a WS6?