Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Seriously considering.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 01:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Seriously considering.....

Altering my stock 99' WS6 wheels. Now that I have my 97' Z71, the TA doesnt have to be a daily anymore. So once I mount the 18" DD Machine faced C5's from OE I wont need to have a full set of "stock" wheels anymore cause I wont have to worry about swapping out to drive in the winter.

So that got me thinking about maybe instead of buyin a set of aftermarket drag wheels again since I sold my Convo Pros, I might just get my wheels altered. Thinking maybe widened (2) of them to 11" wide & (2) down to 5" wide for front runners.

Its never gonna be a outright drag car & locally I haven't seen a single set of altered stock WS6 wheels. So it would be different, allow me to run a wider rear tire at the track & skinny up front. The wheels would also still be good to run on the street as well.

I know a few have widened to 11" for rear, has anyone went skinny up front? Thoughts & opinions on this? I'm guessing spacers would be required to make them fit properly though huh? I was just tossing the idea around since it would cost close to the same amount as buying a set of 15" drag wheels. I'm not worried about weight.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know someone a few years ago widened the rears and narrowed the fronts of their 10 spoke SS wheels. Looked awesome
Old 06-13-2012, 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I widended mine. I would call them "legit". I saw a guy recently that narrowed the fronts. He posted something on here. I think they were Mustang wheels. I had to have spacers for the rear. Some say they didn't but I dont believe it. You will need at least a 1" spacer (I went with 1.25" and it was still tight)

It's about 500-650 to widen 2 wheels 2" each.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen it done on a few as well and it looks great. It's def different and as long as your not worried about weight I say go for it.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:58 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by kyoytey1693
I widended mine. I would call them "legit". I saw a guy recently that narrowed the fronts. He posted something on here. I think they were Mustang wheels. I had to have spacers for the rear. Some say they didn't but I dont believe it. You will need at least a 1" spacer (I went with 1.25" and it was still tight)

It's about 500-650 to widen 2 wheels 2" each.
Damn, I bet its about the same to narrow the fronts too then. Well hell, that puts me back in the price range for a set of budget drag wheels. Hmmm, good thing I got time to think on it, lol.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:07 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, if i wasn't hell bent on the speedlines i would have went aftermarket. But for some reason i have lost my love for the speedlines and they dont look nearly as wide as i expected. After I lower the car, if I still dont like how it looks I'm dropping them. They look great on my 96 but just not quite right on the 01 for some reason.

My next set will be some ccw sp500 or 550's that are 18's and at least 12" wide in the rear.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I LOVE my widened stockers!!! Mine are 11" wide, with a 1" spacer, and Nitto NT555 in the 315/35-17 variety.

Nice, stock look from the side.. Not so stock from the back. It is a little pricey to do, but the sleeper effect works for me. Well, as long as you arent behind me. LOL

Nothing to see here:

A little more obvious now:
Old 06-13-2012, 06:18 PM
12 Second Club

Yea, I like the sleeper look as well, hence thinking about gin this route. I know if I'm on the street 90% of the time the 18's will be mounted, so I'd mostly use the modified stockers at the track when I go. Guess it could fool some people in the pits of they dont look close though, lol.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:29 AM
11 Second Club

i don't think being a sleeper has anything to do with wheels when you have. H/C/I... lol
Old 06-14-2012, 09:05 AM
Staging Lane

So no thoughts of putting a lip on it? Just widening from the backside of the rim? Is this just the less expensive way of doing it or not thinking the stockers with a lip would look good?
Old 06-14-2012, 09:41 AM
TECH Resident

I dont think anyone has perfected a method of putting a lip on the outside. If they have, I would love to see it.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:33 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by kyoytey1693
I dont think anyone has perfected a method of putting a lip on the outside. If they have, I would love to see it.
This^^. Widening from the center is the only safe way to do it right now. Unless some new method has been discovered. Plus if you add to the lip where seams can be seen its gonna cost alot in finishing to make it not noticeable.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

There's a couple companies out there that will widen the outer portion of the wheel. However I've only seen the outer hoops widened if there was an existing lip, raither than adding a lip to a flat faced wheels.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:30 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its up to you but imo you go with dragwheels to get the weight down,bigger tire,etc imo if its not a dd you can run a set of drag wheels on the street easy,last year i drove my car a 1000 miles a week for 3 months on my drag setup, also compare cost to see how much to get them widened and narrowed/new tires vs just going with a drag setup
Old 06-15-2012, 09:17 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DBL_TKE
There's a couple companies out there that will widen the outer portion of the wheel. However I've only seen the outer hoops widened if there was an existing lip, raither than adding a lip to a flat faced wheels.
Pics? Links? I would love to see that done.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:23 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
Its up to you but imo you go with dragwheels to get the weight down,bigger tire,etc imo if its not a dd you can run a set of drag wheels on the street easy,last year i drove my car a 1000 miles a week for 3 months on my drag setup, also compare cost to see how much to get them widened and narrowed/new tires vs just going with a drag setup
I dont really care about the weight. I'm a full interior w/system & A/C kinda guy. So saving weight has never been on my mind. I had a set of Convo Pros I ran on the street off/on but sold them.

What I like about altering the stock wheels is from the side it appears stock. Hell I might just grab a set of front runners & call it a day & stick with a true 275 drag radial & see what I can do with it.

Once it goes auto I'm thinking about tryin to run some brackets after I get everything dialed in. Dont need to be super fast for that, just consistent.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
I dont really care about the weight. I'm a full interior w/system & A/C kinda guy. So saving weight has never been on my mind. I had a set of Convo Pros I ran on the street off/on but sold them.

What I like about altering the stock wheels is from the side it appears stock. Hell I might just grab a set of front runners & call it a day & stick with a true 275 drag radial & see what I can do with it.

Once it goes auto I'm thinking about tryin to run some brackets after I get everything dialed in. Dont need to be super fast for that, just consistent.
if you don't care about the weight, then why do you want skinnies in the front? Thats the whole idea - to remove the weight from the front wheels, this helps the front end to lift faster, resulting in weight transfer to the rear for increased traction.

Id say either just get the rears widened and leave the fronts alone, or spend the money on a big and skinny setup. It doesn't make sense to spend a similar amount of money and still be much heavier than an aftermarket set.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:25 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with killer ls1, i just dont understand making stock wheels skinny for no reason but for looks, now i understand going wider, not to long ago i saw a set of ws6 wheels a guy had done and added a lip with a nice powdercoat job,looked great, if ya dont care about weight just get a nice set of street wheels and call it a day