Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

input for my new rubbers

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 02:14 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default input for my new rubbers

I'm in need of some new tires for my stock 16" trans am rims.
I currently have Eagle F1's but the funds are dry for the moment and not droppig that much for new F1's.
Anyone have experience with any of these ones I'm looking at...
..all in 245/50/16...or maybe 255/5016 if they have em

Cooper ZPTs
Kumho Esta AST
Riken Raptors

I'm leaning towards the coppers but if you have owned these let me know about traction(wet and dry), handling, and durability or how they lasted.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:00 PM
Launching!

76 views and no one has owned these??? anyone?
Old 08-19-2012, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've only owned the Kumho tires, we're on the car when I purchased it. Didn't have the greatest traction, but I hardly ever got on it so it wasn't that big of a deal. As long as I kept my foot out of it, they didn't do that bad in the rain either. For a cheap tire that lasted a while they got the job done. Haven't looked up tire prices in some time, but I know they're one of the cheapest and for the durability I think they're worth it.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i run the Riken's on a 17 inch rim and am actually surprised at how good they are for the price. In the rain they have impressed me as well (no hydroplaning). I dyno'd 350 to the tires through an unlocked auto and a chokemaster muffler and they seem to grab on the street pretty decent. I spin in first from a roll, but they grab decently quick. The only time I haven't been impressed is with cornering. There is a little uncertainty and I feel nervous taking on ramps and stuff at high speeds, but that could also be fixed in suspension set up etc. I know my panhard bar needs to be adjusted so maybe that was where the feeling of nervousness came from.

I believe the Kumho's were on my Mom's old camaro which I drove down at college. If it is the same tire, the side wall seems to be a little less stiff, but provided good traction for the 6 cylinder....I don't know how they would have faired on my car, but I also drove the 6 banger through winter without any problems.

The 2 cars are completely different, but if I were to choose between the two and you don't have to worry about snow, I would run the Riken Raptors...they have done me well for what they cost.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:46 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sandsk8erz400
I've only owned the Kumho tires, we're on the car when I purchased it. Didn't have the greatest traction, but I hardly ever got on it so it wasn't that big of a deal. As long as I kept my foot out of it, they didn't do that bad in the rain either. For a cheap tire that lasted a while they got the job done. Haven't looked up tire prices in some time, but I know they're one of the cheapest and for the durability I think they're worth it.
Thanks appreciate the input. They are still dirt cheap....like around $100 a pop. Im just putting most my money into power adding parts right now and figure just get cheap tires for now. I do tend to have quite a heavy foot thought and probably gonna be heavier with more power haha
Old 08-20-2012, 11:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RoidedSS
i run the Riken's on a 17 inch rim and am actually surprised at how good they are for the price. In the rain they have impressed me as well (no hydroplaning). I dyno'd 350 to the tires through an unlocked auto and a chokemaster muffler and they seem to grab on the street pretty decent. I spin in first from a roll, but they grab decently quick. The only time I haven't been impressed is with cornering. There is a little uncertainty and I feel nervous taking on ramps and stuff at high speeds, but that could also be fixed in suspension set up etc. I know my panhard bar needs to be adjusted so maybe that was where the feeling of nervousness came from.

I believe the Kumho's were on my Mom's old camaro which I drove down at college. If it is the same tire, the side wall seems to be a little less stiff, but provided good traction for the 6 cylinder....I don't know how they would have faired on my car, but I also drove the 6 banger through winter without any problems.

The 2 cars are completely different, but if I were to choose between the two and you don't have to worry about snow, I would run the Riken Raptors...they have done me well for what they cost.

Awesoem thanks as well. i try to stay out of the rain but DO want a good wet traction tire for the few chances I may get stuck out in the rain. The car wont see the snow...ever so that no worries.

are the sidewalls on the Rikens super stiff? Enough to give a harsh quality ride?
Old 08-20-2012, 11:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I mean, ride quality with a 16 inch rim should be fine. I believe the Riken's are z rated, so that will make the sidewall a bit stiffer. In the rain I have liked them and mine is a 275/40/17. They also seem to have a good tread life and my foot is decently heavy. If you don't have to worry about snow, I would get the widest tire you can fit on the rim.

I just put a new motor in today, so I will tell you how they fair with a bit more power.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RoidedSS
I mean, ride quality with a 16 inch rim should be fine. I believe the Riken's are z rated, so that will make the sidewall a bit stiffer. In the rain I have liked them and mine is a 275/40/17. They also seem to have a good tread life and my foot is decently heavy. If you don't have to worry about snow, I would get the widest tire you can fit on the rim.

I just put a new motor in today, so I will tell you how they fair with a bit more power.

With stock suspension Im not expecting a Cadillac feel ride haha. Good to hear they are good in rain and with tread life. Hard not to have a heavy foot with these cars

Congrats on the new motor, thats always a great feeling. What goodies did you add into the new engine(if any)?!
Old 08-23-2012, 06:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

I know your mind is made up but I'll tell you right now that you are going to be in for one hell of a shock once those new 'cheapo' tires gets a few miles on them.
It will be the worst four hundred dollars you have ever saved.
I drove some of those 'cheapo' brands when I had to throw on a set to transport a car about 500 miles. It was ugly, and they were new tires. Once you are used to Goodyear or Michelin 'top of the line' tires you will feel the difference.
You have been warned.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:12 AM
Launching!

i have 245/50/16 riken raptors tires and ride nice
Old 08-23-2012, 07:55 AM
TECH Resident

I had Goodyear's on my Z in the same size you have and they were noisy and didn't have traction for crap medium acceleration, braking, or weather below 60 they just sucked all around. I have had kumho ecsta asx and ast (in the same size) and they both are much better than the goodyears. I wouldn't mind having some of their high end tires like gsd3 ,even have a set of f1s to go on my anniversary wheels but for the money id rather get a $200 kdw2 or nitto 555 before paying 300 for a Goodyear.