Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Poor man skinnnies..... finished

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 08:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Poor man skinnnies..... finished

Since my car will only wear these things a couple times a year and my old 15" prostars won't clear the C5 brakes, I did the GTO spare route. Attached is a side by side of mine after being polished and the other one in stock form. Since I have more time than money..... I elected to go this route vs buying a set of welds. I may buy a set of RT-S for the street in 17x9 and 11"....but thats for another thead.

Polishing was such a PITA, that I elected to only polish the spokes and center and the outer lip of the rim. Maybe some day I will do the rest, but for now, I am done! I still have to do the same to 2 16x8 with the ET Steets on them so they match. At least now they look decent and most people won't even know what they are. I am running the 1.5" spacer to push them out so they are not so tucked in the wheel well.

As for the tires..... this has been debated to death. Although it says temp use only.... if it can hold a 3800+# GTO, it will do just fine on my Z28 AND it is rated at a higher weight and speed rating than you would find on some other cheap tire or even compared to a front runner. If I can find a good way to remove the temporary use only writing from the tire, I would. That is there for the people who would put 4 of them on their car and drive it every day..... Sorry, no pics yet on the car.
Attached Thumbnails Poor man skinnnies..... finished-front-runners.jpg  
Old 08-24-2012, 12:05 PM
TECH Regular

Can you post more details on the rims and tires and photos installed on the car?
Old 08-24-2012, 12:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry, no pics for a while. I'm not going to the track until it cools down outside..... These only go on for the strip.

Details:
04-06 GTO spares.
You can either grind out ID of hub on wheel by I think 1mm since hub on f-body is slightly larger than GTO, or buy adapters that push them out and you don't have to worry about it. I when with 1.5" adapters that puts the wheels out more flush with the fenders.... otherwise they are way tucked in and look crappy in my opinion. If I went to the strip all the time, I would fork out the cash for some Welds, but since only a couple times a year, these work for me and will look good in a photo pulling a wheel off the ground.

Tires are the save a spares that come on the gto wheels. I forgot the rating but I think they are W rated and since used on heavy GTO, they are just fine for lighter f-body. They hold more wieght than the cheap 15" radials that a lot of people run on prostars.

As you can see in the pic, the rim has all sorts of nasty raised part numbers and stuff in the casting of the wheel. I used an air belt sander to sand it all off and smooth. You just have to do it slowly so as not to gouge the spoke or make dimples or divits that you won't be able to polish out. Don't want to remove too much material, just the raised parts.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

OH, and btw, they are only 1lb heavier than my 15x3.5 prostars. that is comparing both with radial tires on them.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is awesome! I have a set of gto spares that i haven't used just yet, and i was thinking about trying something like this. Now that i know how it looks, i'll probably give it a try
Old 08-24-2012, 12:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

be preparred for some work......

A way easier/faster way would be remove part numbers, sand smooth and then prime and paint what ever color you want. I thought about this and going gunmetal gray, but thought this would look better.

Belt sander to remove part numbers
Air die grinder with 3M roloc discs (medium and fine)
300 grit wet/dry paper
600 grit wet/dry paper
Metal polish wheel and polish.

Oh, and to make life easier on the inner section by the lugs.... aircraft paint stripper. Takes the black off like nothing. BE CAREFUL it does not get on the rest of the rim..... it eats the paint right off.

The shine will be as good as you sand.... AND as many hours as you want to spend!
My advice is take your time.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i might be too lazy for all that lol

Quick Reply: Poor man skinnnies..... finished