Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Nitto Tires and & Almost bad night..

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Nitto Tires and & Almost bad night..

Ok so, my WS6 spends most of its days in the garage, well, it hasn't been started in a few weeks at all so, I decided to take it out to grab some snacks with and get everything moving in the motor, and make sure everything is still top notch with it......yes im paranoid.....

Anyways, let it warm up for about 10 minutes before moving it out of the garage, started cruisin and wow its running great, temps are about 45 degrees outside and the car is loving it....

So i get read to turn onto the highway, I take the curve at around 45 mph, and not accelrating through it just holding my rate of speed, and my damn Nittos decided they do NOT like cold weather even though everything else was good, "nice and dry"...

The entire rear end walked out on me, I gave it clutch and counter steered and it took WAY longer for it to respond then I thought it should have.....

When I was running BFG G-Force SuperSports A/S, It didn't seem like it had this problem in the winter, and actually surprised me with snow on the ground at how much traction I had..... Do 555's just suck this bad when its cold out?? That same corner I have done 100000x times at higher speeds then that.....never once have I broke it loose like I did...

275/40/17 F 285/40/17 R Nitto 555's "non R's"
Old 10-28-2012, 03:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I have no experience with Nitto's but any summer type performance tire will lose traction in temps below 45*-50*.

Did you check your rear pressures?

Its not uncommon to lose 1-2lbs for every 10* drop in temps.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have nittos 555s and havnt had that problem and its about 55 degrees here, took a 25 mph turn at around 45 today and they held up, mine are 555rII, extremeR. its a 305/30/18, maybe your car is telling you its time to go wider
Old 10-28-2012, 04:29 PM
On The Tree

I have 275 front and rear and really happy with them. I just brought my car to storage today and was roughly 40 degrees out. Its easier to spin them but held corners. You have to get the tires warmed up too, takes handful of turns or at least a few high speed miles to get some heat in them. Any summer tire is going to act that way with cold pavement.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:34 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When its cold/cooler out i can spin my nittos easy,but honest for the price and mileage /performance ,i will buy another set
Old 10-28-2012, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I love the tires in the summer, i just didnt expect it to be such a drastic change.. Even after sliding out then a 95 moh highway pull when i pulled over and checked tires, they still felt cold... And honestly i think if they lost psi they should have helped traction as it does at the track.

Basically just a warning and reminder to drivers that our cars can get away fron us even expeienced drivers if we are not careful..
Old 10-28-2012, 05:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by baalic
Ok so, my WS6 spends most of its days in the garage, well, it hasn't been started in a few weeks at all so, I decided to take it out to grab some snacks with and get everything moving in the motor, and make sure everything is still top notch with it......yes im paranoid.....

Anyways, let it warm up for about 10 minutes before moving it out of the garage, started cruisin and wow its running great, temps are about 45 degrees outside and the car is loving it....

So i get read to turn onto the highway, I take the curve at around 45 mph, and not accelrating through it just holding my rate of speed, and my damn Nittos decided they do NOT like cold weather even though everything else was good, "nice and dry"...

The entire rear end walked out on me, I gave it clutch and counter steered and it took WAY longer for it to respond then I thought it should have.....

When I was running BFG G-Force SuperSports A/S, It didn't seem like it had this problem in the winter, and actually surprised me with snow on the ground at how much traction I had..... Do 555's just suck this bad when its cold out?? That same corner I have done 100000x times at higher speeds then that.....never once have I broke it loose like I did...

275/40/17 F 285/40/17 R Nitto 555's "non R's"
You don't happend to have poly rear lca's do you?
If not, what suspension mods, if any, do you have?
Old 10-28-2012, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
You don't happend to have poly rear lca's do you?
If not, what suspension mods, if any, do you have?
Stock ws6 suspension except for a STB.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where they DR's?
Nitto DR's and cold temps = driving on marbles.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 69TA
Where they DR's?
Nitto DR's and cold temps = driving on marbles.
No thats the thing, these were the street tires. Needless to say it humbled me a little as far as those tires. I use to think they made my car corner like a go kart, but not in the cold apparently.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:38 AM
On The Tree

Another thing, if your tires never see a track of any kind, the tread wears smooth as glass. If you want max grip you need to scrub those tires up. Find a big wide open parking lot and make your own autocross track. Corner fast and hard to make the front slide and of course, powerslide to rough up the rear tires. If you have fun rippin up a parking lot, you really should look into your local SCCA and try out autox!
Old 10-29-2012, 07:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CLRD4TO
Another thing, if your tires never see a track of any kind, the tread wears smooth as glass. If you want max grip you need to scrub those tires up. Find a big wide open parking lot and make your own autocross track. Corner fast and hard to make the front slide and of course, powerslide to rough up the rear tires. If you have fun rippin up a parking lot, you really should look into your local SCCA and try out autox!
Trust me, the car for one has been to a drag strip, that will rough up your tires lol and....I USUALLY corner it like I am on an Auto-X track, which is why this was unexpected because I have made that corner at much faster speeds without so much as a chrip or slip on the tires....
Old 10-29-2012, 08:06 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cold temps w/ cold tires ... that will happen. Lots of variables when it comes to adhesion/traction. I and my g/f along with her 2 brother all race 'race karts' and even on the race slicks, traction 'comes and goes' depending on many factors. A good tire doenst always gaurantee great traction all the time. I'm running NT05 315's out back and learned just to be more careful in cooler temps.

Last edited by Heat Seeker WS6; 10-29-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And honestly i think if they lost psi they should have helped traction as it does at the track.
Not in a corner. Comparing a A/S tire to a summer tire on a cold day with cold tires, this is what should be expected.

Curious why you pushed the clutch in. You lost control of tire speed that way. Should have just lessened throttle and used steering inputs.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

To the OP. We had some 40's over the weekend here in houston and I did the same thing you did with my Nittos. Drove around a corner like I normally would and the car just started to slide and I could feel the rear start to go around so I had to correct it real quick. Yeah these tires need lots of heat to perform like they should. Scared the crap out of me luckily it was a wide road with no one else around me. This was after about 5-8 minutes of driving at speeds of about 40 mph.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
Not in a corner. Comparing a A/S tire to a summer tire on a cold day with cold tires, this is what should be expected.

Curious why you pushed the clutch in. You lost control of tire speed that way. Should have just lessened throttle and used steering inputs.
I pushed in the clutch to stop rear wheel from spinning due to getting power... while trying to not use the brakes and go into a potential slide. I obviously didn't make it clear just HOW far I came around my rear tires acting like they were on glass, it wasn't a drift....I spun the **** out....lol
Old 10-29-2012, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sscamaroburn02
To the OP. We had some 40's over the weekend here in houston and I did the same thing you did with my Nittos. Drove around a corner like I normally would and the car just started to slide and I could feel the rear start to go around so I had to correct it real quick. Yeah these tires need lots of heat to perform like they should. Scared the crap out of me luckily it was a wide road with no one else around me. This was after about 5-8 minutes of driving at speeds of about 40 mph.

Yup, so just a friendly reminder, because I see this being a bad winter, and I see someone posting a thread where they are parting out their F-Body for loosing it in cold weather..... happens every year..
Old 10-29-2012, 03:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Yup, so just a friendly reminder, because I see this being a bad winter, and I see someone posting a thread where they are parting out their F-Body for loosing it in cold weather..... happens every year..
I have been driving either a V8 or V6 4th Gen FBody year round since 1996 without a scratch(knock on wood)
Old 10-29-2012, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same thing happen to me on an auto TA
where the car was spinning nice going sideways, very predictable and then all of a sudden it snapped way back and pointed completely to the other side like the rear unloaded and reloaded.

But this never ever happened on my M6,
that car always had very predictable and controlled power slides
Old 10-29-2012, 07:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

this weekend was our coldest since like February so time to change driving habits for the winter again. LOL.

Quick Reply: Nitto Tires and & Almost bad night..