Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

2002 TA collector's edition- Need new tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 10:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 TA collector's edition- Need new tires

Hey guys,
I need a new set of tires. The ones I have are almost bald so this is going to be the first upgrade my bird is getting when spring arrives. I did a search on recommendations but most of the threads are from years ago. So I am hoping people have some newer recommendations.

The car is driven only during summer. The other issue is my wife has a bad back. With the current tires (Firestone I believe) her back starts bugging her after an hour or so. Im hoping better tires will help with that. Im looking for a good combination of performance and comfort.

Thanks for reading,
Mavruss

Last edited by mavruss; 02-06-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:50 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not really sure how much tires are gonna change the ride of the car... I mean they will a little, but not in an manner that I'd think would make a huge difference. One factor that is missing, though, is your budget. That's really gonna be what decides it.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:58 AM
Teching In

I just put Hancook Ventus V12's on my TA and I cant say enough abou them. Handle well -- very soft ride -- you can spin them, but get them to bite when you want (if you know what I mean).

http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Revie...+V12+Evo+(K110)
Old 02-06-2013, 06:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ParkerReeves
I just put Hancook Ventus V12's on my TA and I cant say enough abou them. Handle well -- very soft ride -- you can spin them, but get them to bite when you want (if you know what I mean).

I have had these since I bought my car a couple years ago. No complaint at all they do the job and are not too expensive.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I have been looking at Nitto NT05's for my next set of tires.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 439 Likes on 317 Posts

I'm an older guy and have been an F-body owner since 1996 (a new Formula). My experience is gladly shared with everyone here, whether you agree or disagree.
If this is your size, Tire Size: 275/40-17, I would highly recommend the Goodyear GS-D3 unless you just don't have the money. I have a set on my Trans Am and they are the best tires I have ever owned, possibly a tie with the Michelin Pilot Sports I had on my Porsche 911. The GS-D3 is not a winter tire and I noticed the drop off in all aspects when the temps dropped below 32 degrees. I just don't drive that much in the winter so it is fine in my case. You sound similar to me. If you just can't spend that kind of money, and considering your wife's back, I would lean towards the Continental Extreme Contact DW with the softer compound (treadwear 340 and AA A rated) and softer sidewall (decent ride quality). A quality tire in every respect but still not a Goodyear or Michelin as the price indicates. The BFG G-force is OK too. No problems but not outstanding either. I had them on my GT but I didn't get another set this past Christmas. I again went with the Goodyears.
** Side note: Don't get cheap with lesser quality tires. You definitely get what you pay for. Once that tread life gets halfway worn, or old, you will know it, from tramlining to road noise to ride comfort.
Best of luck!
Old 02-07-2013, 03:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ParkerReeves

I too have these tires and they're awesome. They have great performance specs and aren't super expensive, around $150/tire.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:38 AM
Teching In

thanks for the suggestions guys. I havent been around tires for 20+ years. My Father used to own a tire shop back in the 80s. Back then, all I heard was that BFGoodrich was the tire to get. Doesnt sound like that is the case any more.

As far as budget goes, I have about $1500 in budget for all upgrades this year.

Upgrades needed:
Tires
Repair rear spoiler ( Chunk broken off equal to the size of a quarter)
Repaint rear bumper (spider cracks)
tune up (Wires, plugs, and filters)
Add low end to the sound system (no thumping, just low end for the rock!)
Sequential tail light mod
Possible HID head lamp replacement

So yeah, The less I spend on tires, the more I can put else where.

-Mav
Old 02-22-2013, 09:27 AM
Teching In

Smile

some BFG tires are good, like the KDW's i hear is good. i heard it may be noisy, but who will notice if you have a full exhaust setup. i have the Falken Azenis PT722 on my trans am. but i would recommend non directional so you can rotate them properly to keep the life of the tire. something sticky and great comfort i hear are the Yokohama YK580. pricey, but very good wet, dry, all season tire and not directional so you can rotate them properly. just not sure if they make 275s. just go to your nearest discount tire and they will help you. good luck on choosing tires!!!

Quick Reply: 2002 TA collector's edition- Need new tires