Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Wheel Spacers, Safe??

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 11:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Spacers, Safe??

So, I recently put on 315s on the back of my Z28. I drove the car on the highway about 1 week ago and was accelerating through an on ramp and there was some rubbing.

I BFH'd the inner fender and there is about 1/4 inch of space from the tire to the inner fender at the time of this rubbing. I will be buying a bigger hammer but I really don't think I will get more than 1/8 inch more. What are some of your guys clearance??

I am also planning on renting the fender roller tool in March and rolling my fenders to nail that problem.

So if all else fails, my last option I guess is to run a rear wheel spacer.

Are these safe? What would be a safe size to use? I've heard to use a "hub centric" wheel spacer if I am going to do so.

I don't want to jeopardize my life or others for this however.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you have an adjustable panhard bar? From what I understand those are a must when running really wide tires (and rolling the lip may be necessary also depending on ride height).
Old 02-26-2013, 12:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Do you have an adjustable panhard bar? From what I understand those are a must when running really wide tires (and rolling the lip may be necessary also depending on ride height).
I do, well one is being put on with my new rear end as we speak, UMI adj. I have heard this helps but I am a lil skeptic on how much it really does.

I mean I know it centers the rear end. But isnt the rear end already centered? Wouldn't there be serious problems if it wasnt? lol

I guess I just don't understand.

The car is lowered on BMR Springs. It did have the rear isolators out (hose mod) when it was rubbing put they are being put back in.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes, the rear is basically centered, BUT when you lower it you're no longer centered, plus there is a (relatively large) tolerance from the factory on where "center" is. With the factory wheels and tires you have a lot of wiggle room, but start packing those wheel wells full of rubber and you need to be more exact.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, the rear is basically centered, BUT when you lower it you're no longer centered, plus there is a (relatively large) tolerance from the factory on where "center" is. With the factory wheels and tires you have a lot of wiggle room, but start packing those wheel wells full of rubber and you need to be more exact.
Ah gotcha, Well I see what you mean. Who knows maybe when I get the car back after the rear being installed/centered it won't rub.

If I have to though, What about the spacers?
Old 02-26-2013, 03:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Depends on how thick you go. If you're only doing 1/8 that is very unlikely to cause a problem. Might not be a bad idea to get a little stronger studs. But the issue you could run into with a spacer is running the tires into the lips of the wheel wells, so only do as much as necessary. Most people don't need spacers to fit 315s however, although I'm not sure what backspacing they have. What wheels?
Old 02-26-2013, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Depends on how thick you go. If you're only doing 1/8 that is very unlikely to cause a problem. Might not be a bad idea to get a little stronger studs. But the issue you could run into with a spacer is running the tires into the lips of the wheel wells, so only do as much as necessary. Most people don't need spacers to fit 315s however, although I'm not sure what backspacing they have. What wheels?
Yeah maybe I'm just jumping the gun. I should wait and see how it goes after the adj phb goes on and I beat the fender a lil more.

The rear wheels are just 17 x 11inch wide black deep dish ZR1's with the 56mm offset, I know its in the 50s just not 100% sure.

I was also thinking about the same situation of the fender lip cutting into the tire with the spacer which is a no go, if 1/8 inch does cause it to cut the tire.

Damn, well if it rubs after the PHB I am going to beat the hell out of the inner fender and just hope for the best. Wish I had a friggin T/A and I wouldnt be having these problems lol
Old 02-26-2013, 04:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

It'll fit. Maybe people with those wheels will chime in. I know others run them without issue.

Quick Reply: Wheel Spacers, Safe??