Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Bad Tires? Recommend for DD?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 01:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Tires? Recommend for DD?

So I have a 1998 Trans Am, it has had an alignment done, Bilstein shocks put in, new bushings (rubber), new tie rod ends, outers and inners, balanced wheels (Torque Thrust II 9.5" all around). But I still have vibrations...they are not violent but they are noticable to a feel. I think the tires are bad. Cheap Maxxis v1 275/40/17R. So what do you guys recommend for a DD tire that is quiet and comfortable, I do not care about drag racing at the moment since I have other set of wheels for that. Please and Thank you
Old 03-02-2013, 01:27 AM
On The Tree

Also I have had those tires since 2009 and put around 10k miles on them. still have tread on them though...
Old 03-02-2013, 08:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

Yeah, if everything is balanced properly then the cheap tires are most likely the culprit. That's the problem with cheap rubber, as they seem great when new, then all the issues start appearing at the mid-tread life level, from tramlining to vibrations and a harsh ride. "You get what you pay for" when it comes to tires.
Based on personal experience I have been the most pleased with Goodyear over many years of driving both aggressively and passively. My T/A currently has the GS-D3 which is the best tire I have ever owned, and maybe only the Michelin Pilot Sport was equal (I had those on a '95 911). I have the Goodyear Eagle A/S on my GT and love them! Before that I had the BFG G-force A/S on the GT and they were decent. I would not hesitate to recommend them even though the Goodyear is better. I have also had an excellent experience with the Potenza on a '96 Formula. In your tire size of 275/40/17 I will gladly pass this 'personal preference' Tire Rack list on to you. See which one would best fit your needs. I would feel comfortable with any of them. My preference would be the Goodyear ($80 rebate too!), then Bridgestone, then BFG. The new Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric Ultra High Performance All-Season is supposed to be an incredible tire with an extremely high tread life, rated at 500. You will be stunned at the difference any of these will make on your now balanced ride. Good luck!
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...40&diameter=17

Last edited by NC01TA; 03-02-2013 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with the bfg g-force sport comp-2's and couldn't be happier. They run wide which is nice too, just over 11" wide on my slp ZR1's. I ran GSD3's when they came out and they were nice tires, but they are not worth anywhere near 2x the price of other tires since they jacked up the prices.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

thats good to hear on which tires are good for daily driving. I know my tires are not as good as they use to be since they do ride a little more harsh. When I drive it just makes more noise and feels bumpy in the steering wheel like if I can feel the road and tire touching
Old 03-02-2013, 06:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by ritchie1791
thats good to hear on which tires are good for daily driving. I know my tires are not as good as they use to be since they do ride a little more harsh. When I drive it just makes more noise and feels bumpy in the steering wheel like if I can feel the road and tire touching
Very typical for cheap tires, as I stated earlier.
I agree with speed_demon24 about the pricing of the GS-D3. Not sure why they have increased so much in price. I think I spent $800 for my set a few years back. They are great, but pricing them 'out of sight' certainly won't increase sales. Many to choose from on that list. All would be a huge improvement. You know what's best for your personal driving and the climate around you.

Quick Reply: Bad Tires? Recommend for DD?