Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

wheel offset questions

Old 03-20-2013, 06:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default wheel offset questions

I understand how the offset of wheels effects where the hub will be in terms of the centerline of the wheel and how far in or out the wheel will stick out, but for the life of me I cannot understand how offset affects spoke placement. Now that being said, onto my question.

I just swapped to CTS-V brakes and after thinking (from what I read on other threads) that my c4 zr1s would fit with a 7mm spacer. I soon found out that I needed at least a 19mm spacer to make those wheels fit. Ok no big deal, I love those wheels, but id rather be able to stop well and plus it was time for a wheel change anyway, so I went out and bought a set of c5 z06 wheels. These wheels are the staggered 17x9.5/18x10.5 both with +53mm offsets. Turns out the fronts fit spoke wise without a spacer but diameter wise, I just couldnt safely make it work. So I tried one of my rear wheels on the front just to make sure it fits and it does but its close (see pic). Sooooo I need to buy a pair of 18x9.5 c5 z06 wheels, and the pair that I found have a +57 offset. Are these going to fit? I dont want to buy ANOTHER set of wheels to have to turn around and sell them. And I would really rather not run a spacer if I didnt have to.
Attached Thumbnails wheel offset questions-brakes.jpg  
Old 03-20-2013, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

nobody?
Old 03-20-2013, 07:11 PM
TECH Resident

I posted the same type of thread, and no one responded either. Off set is just the differance from the centerline of the wheel to the mounting pad. I hope that this helps you. On another note, I have still been looking at 17" wheels with no lip. And think I found them. OEWHEELS.LLC. I have been looking at there wheels and I see very little lip inside. I even called them and sent a photo of what I was talking about. They told that there wheels do not have that lip like a OEM wheel. So I am thinking that it still can be done! Brembo's under 17's.

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

Enjoy!

Last edited by slow ride 02; 03-20-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

haha thank you! I am not messing around with 17s anymore, I already killed one caliper. I am sure it can be done but the warm weather is coming and I just want to get my car drivable ASAP so 18s it is. Thanks for the link though!
Old 03-20-2013, 07:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by silversrtman
haha thank you! I am not messing around with 17s anymore, I already killed one caliper. I am sure it can be done but the warm weather is coming and I just want to get my car drivable ASAP so 18s it is. Thanks for the link though!
Those OE's are only about $400.00 for a set 4. I am thinking about buying 1 wheel to try it out.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

take the wheel you know fits and measure from the inside of the spoke to the caliper. If its a 53mm and the proposed wheel is a 57 then the 57 will be 4mm closer IF the wheel was the same width. Now the wheel you tried is 1" wider so cut it in half (1/2") and you get 12.7mm. This means that the 9.5" wheel will need 12.7mm LESS offset then the 53mm 10.5" wheel to sit in the same place = 40.3mm for the 9.5". To get an idea of wheel placement you can subtract the 40.3mm known offset from the 57mm proposed and it tells you that the 57mm offset 9.5" wheel will sit 16.7mm further inside the wheel well then the 10.5" wheel you just fitted. I dont know the pad to the spoke distance and cant tell you how that relates because offset only relates to pad to centerline. SO to answer your question, Im not sure you can determine what will fit and what wont unless you can confirm the spoke to pad clearance and whether its consistant regardless of offset.
Think about it this way, the pad and spoke are fixed and the only thing offset does is move the outside wheel drum closer or father away from centerline/suspension components. If really has no bearing on what fits behind the spoke unless the pad to spoke clearance can be verified for consistancy/differences in pad machining heights.

Last edited by dws6; 03-20-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow thanks for the informative post. If I had to guess on the distance from caliper to spoke id say 2-2.5mm. The problem is I dont know if its consistent or not.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: wheel offset questions