Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Road Course Tires for Rainy days

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Road Course Tires for Rainy days

Looking for recommendations on a good tire for those rainy track days. I typically run the Nitto 555R II's on dry days and absolutely LOVE them.

Just had a HPDE at Atlanta Motorsports Park last week and it was a complete washout. Rained hard for three of the five sessions and there was water pooled all over the track for all five runs. Obviously, riding around on the 555R II's in those conditions (with the very light tread depth) was a nightmare.

Anyone have a suggestion on a solid rain tire that would help put some of the power to the pavement? Or perhaps another R compound that offers a nice tread depth that would be a good compromise to use in both wet and dry conditions.

Thanks!

JB
Old 04-25-2013, 01:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Toyo proxes RA-1's may do the trick. If memory serves they are 8/32nds instead of the 6/32nds on most of these types of tires. GS-D3's may be a good option as well.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
Toyo proxes RA-1's may do the trick. If memory serves they are 8/32nds instead of the 6/32nds on most of these types of tires. GS-D3's may be a good option as well.
^^^THESE, at FULL tread depth (YES, they ARE moulded at 8/32nds) would be my choice if I could not use/afford a set of wheels with purpose built R compound rain tires mounted on them (Hoosier Radial Wet H2Os, or the like).
Old 05-02-2013, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Two great recommendations -- thanks!

I think I'll get a set of the Toyo Proxes RA-1's to replace the 555R II's to use as my dry track tires with the understanding they might be an improvement on a wet track. Depending on how those fare, the next logical step would be to mount a set of the dedicated R-comp rain tires to an extra set of wheels.

Thanks for the Hoosier Radial Wet H2O recommendation -- hadn't run across those in my searches however it looks like a set of those mounted to an extra set of wheels would be about as good as it gets in the rain!

Quick Reply: Road Course Tires for Rainy days