Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Big Effin Hammer......inner wheel wells.......opinions.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 08:52 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Big Effin Hammer......inner wheel wells.......opinions.....

For those of you have banged the **** out of the inner wheel wells....to its maximum without banging through the metal.

How much room in inches is that good for.....?

My plan is to widen a 10.5" wide OE rim to 11.5" wide. 335 tires.

Then use a 1" spacer with ARP wheels studs.

I'm wondering if that will be good so the tire does not rub the inner wheel wells after the BFH job......

Also, will it clear my LG Motors Sports LCA's......

Thanks for any info......

Old 09-10-2013, 09:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

will need to watch out for rusting not only on the inner fenderwell itself, but ALSO inside the car where the backseats/carpet are. Just some advice from a few BFH mods
Old 09-10-2013, 09:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bmxer8699
will need to watch out for rusting not only on the inner fenderwell itself, but ALSO inside the car where the backseats/carpet are. Just some advice from a few BFH mods
Primer and paint after the hammering will prevent any rust.....right...?

As long as I don't break through the metal while banging, it should be ok...right..?

.....so from all the BFH's you've done.....how many inches inward is it good for...?

Old 09-11-2013, 07:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a nice surprise when doing this car a few months back. Hammered in the areas that hit (toward the front of the car around the area where the bottom of the backseat meets the seam of the inner quarter well), about the 4th hard hit it busted thru and I saw carpet. The car had a rust area about 6"x6" there after knocking all of the undercoating stuff off. There was NO sign of it under there either, so if your car has ever been north of Kansas on the map I'd proceed with caution. I'd done 3 other cars and never had this problem before. Now I have to cut out that section and patch it. Pain in the *** for something that could've been prevented with a little rust inhibitor and some new undercoating.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Photochop
I had a nice surprise when doing this car a few months back. Hammered in the areas that hit (toward the front of the car around the area where the bottom of the backseat meets the seam of the inner quarter well), about the 4th hard hit it busted thru and I saw carpet. The car had a rust area about 6"x6" there after knocking all of the undercoating stuff off. There was NO sign of it under there either, so if your car has ever been north of Kansas on the map I'd proceed with caution. I'd done 3 other cars and never had this problem before. Now I have to cut out that section and patch it. Pain in the *** for something that could've been prevented with a little rust inhibitor and some new undercoating.
No.....it's been a South Florida car since new.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I BFHed to get 17x10.5"s (originally 17x9, widened toward the inside) with F1 GS-D3s and used a 5/8" spacer... I have approximately 1" before the tires hit the LCAs. Also, after priming and painting, then having it re-coated with that rubbery crap at Race Proven Motorsports in Delaware (they said it was OEM), there's still slight signs of rusting. I need to find a shop that's willing to mini-tub without chopping into the back seat area... then go wider.

Last edited by gi8e7oi825; 09-13-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gi8e7oi825
I BFHed to get 17x10.5"s (originally 17x9, widened toward the inside) with F1 GS-D3s and used a 5/8" spacer... I have approximately 1" before the tires hit the LCAs. Also, after priming and painting, then having it re-coated with that rubbery crap at Race Proven Motorsports in Delaware (they said it was OEM), there's still slight signs of rusting. I need to find a shop that's willing to mini-tub without chopping into the back seat area... then go wider.
Yea....I'm just gonna BFH it. Ten mini tub later when I do the TT kit.....

I was gonna use a 3/4" or even 1" spacer with my 10.5" rims........I assume that wont take a crazy amount of BFH....?

Last edited by LS6427; 09-13-2013 at 10:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Big Effin Hammer......inner wheel wells.......opinions.....