Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Chrome issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 12:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Chrome issues

I bought my car with chrome ZR1 wheels but they were too far gone in terms of pitting and black corrosion on the corners of the spokes where it meets the outer lip.

This is no show car, it is a DD and will be autocrossed this summer. I only want to make the wheels one color LOL.

I thought about lightly scuffing them then plastidipping them black, then go over them with Plastidip Metallic to give a somewhat uniform silver finish.

I would powedercoat them, but the $$ it takes to strip the chrome then the $$ to coat them is not worth it to me.

Anyone have any other suggestions? I want to avoid black and get them a simple OEM silver color.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just paint them... costs maybe $50 at the most... buy some sand paper, some scotch brite pads 4 cans of the color of paint you want and some clear and you'll be good to go. I had my wheels plastidipped just plain black and didn't like it much so peeled it off and painted them GM gunmetal metallic. have had it done for almost a year now and looks great still
Attached Thumbnails Chrome issues-gunmetal.jpg   Chrome issues-plastidipped.jpg  

Quick Reply: Chrome issues