Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

hammer mod? 17x9.5 % 17x10.5?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hammer mod? 17x9.5 % 17x10.5?

What is this refering to? Rolling the fender? Or hammering the wheel well? My car has 18*10.5 y2ks In the rear with an 8mm spacer. I dont notice any rubbing but the inside of the pass side has a little wear on the inside top of the wheel well. Does that meam hammer that in to run the wheels without spacers?

On a seperate note, when I bought the car the pass 17*9.5 y2k spoke had a crack, I ordered what I thought was a replacement c5 wheel but I didn't realize i had a "2000 model" and Its different. I realized today the new one looks wider, the tire looks stretched compared to the drivers and it measures 10.5? The wheel I bought was a 9.5... I dont think they make 17x10.5.... Besides I really need another y2k 17x9.5 because I hate the difference.

Pass side non 2000 c5 wheel:

Drivers side y2k wheel:

Old 03-17-2014, 06:07 PM
Teching In

im just learning all the ls1 lingo but the BFH mod is just what you said. hammer the back wheel well to clear wide rims/tires.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by spdtrip
im just learning all the ls1 lingo but the BFH mod is just what you said. hammer the back wheel well to clear wide rims/tires.
as am I, what's bfh stand for?
Old 03-17-2014, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by countryguy1717
as am I, what's bfh stand for?
Big F***ing Hammer

It's in the sticky. But yeah, you pound the inside of the wheelwell. I've seen a couple videos on you tube about it. Mine have worn on the inside of the well, too, and I never actually HEARD that particular rubbing, just on the outside of the fender. But, I'm running 12" wide wheels and as far as I was aware of, you usually don't NEED to do the bfh mod with 10.5's.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by thetmeister05
Big F***ing Hammer

It's in the sticky. But yeah, you pound the inside of the wheelwell. I've seen a couple videos on you tube about it. Mine have worn on the inside of the well, too, and I never actually HEARD that particular rubbing, just on the outside of the fender. But, I'm running 12" wide wheels and as far as I was aware of, you usually don't NEED to do the bfh mod with 10.5's.
I guess I'll try it this weekend, shouldn't need much but I just want enought to were I dont need the spacers. Would a regular hammer work? or do I need to invest in a bigger one?

Anyone have any input on my front wheels?
Old 03-18-2014, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by countryguy1717
I guess I'll try it this weekend, shouldn't need much but I just want enought to were I dont need the spacers. Would a regular hammer work? or do I need to invest in a bigger one?

Anyone have any input on my front wheels?
The way I've seen it done, is with a metal pipe long enough to reach outside of the well. They used a pretty big hammer, though. I would imagine you could do it with a standard claw hammer, but I can't really say for sure as we used an air hammer. I'm sure someone that has actually done it would have better input.

I would say the bigger the hammer, the less hits it'll actually take. But it won't hurt to try it with what you have. If it doesn't seem like you're making enough progress, try using a bigger one

And I wish I could help you with the wheel size question, but I've never seen anything on this... Hopefully someone else who has dealt with it will chime in.

Quick Reply: hammer mod? 17x9.5 % 17x10.5?