Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Opinions on a new wheel setup.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 06:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on a new wheel setup.

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could give me some ideas on what wheels would look good with my car. Winter is finally over and I have the money to get rid of these ugly *** rims.. As you can see.

I didn't buy any new ones sooner due to the fact I didn't want to ruin my new wheels from the salted roads. But now I'm ready to trash these ugly 20's and go for a smaller size rim. I was thinking along the lines of 18-19" rims. As for finish, I have no idea. Some said go with gun metal, some said chrome, some said polished. So I figure I'd ask you guys what would make this car look better wheel wise. I'm also getting a new pin stripe over the exsisting one that is stuck on that will run all the way to the back. I'd like to match that stripe with a wheel setup (color wise).

My budget is about 1200 for wheels AND tires. I would kinda like to stick with <$150 per wheel. Any suggestions?

Please ignore the ugly spoiler too. That is actually gone, stock spoiler now. Just haven't taken a new photo and trying to get rid of these stupid wheels ASAP! Thanks in advance.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

For $1200 i'd do some TT2's and lose that damn wing
Old 03-19-2014, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blazekillerace
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could give me some ideas on what wheels would look good with my car. Winter is finally over and I have the money to get rid of these ugly *** rims.. As you can see.

I didn't buy any new ones sooner due to the fact I didn't want to ruin my new wheels from the salted roads. But now I'm ready to trash these ugly 20's and go for a smaller size rim. I was thinking along the lines of 18-19" rims. As for finish, I have no idea. Some said go with gun metal, some said chrome, some said polished. So I figure I'd ask you guys what would make this car look better wheel wise. I'm also getting a new pin stripe over the exsisting one that is stuck on that will run all the way to the back. I'd like to match that stripe with a wheel setup (color wise).

My budget is about 1200 for wheels AND tires. I would kinda like to stick with <$150 per wheel. Any suggestions?

Please ignore the ugly spoiler too. That is actually gone, stock spoiler now. Just haven't taken a new photo and trying to get rid of these stupid wheels ASAP! Thanks in advance.
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
he already took care of it thank god.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Since you have some silver in the paint..

id get these, will look good and for $300 for a set you cant go wrong.

http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Wheels_3/...3#.UypiPfldV20
Old 03-20-2014, 10:22 AM
Launching!

TT2's do look good for sure! I'm thinking of putting them on my 79 C3. What kind of finish on the wheels you think would be best? Thanks for your input!
Old 03-20-2014, 10:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GiggleJuiced_SS
he already took care of it thank god.
Exactly. I honestly hated the wing. In fact it damaged the rear fender from it rubbing against the paint.. Idk why the previous owner did that.. But plan on fixing this issue for sure. I'm glad it's gone now. I can actually see through the rear window now!
Old 03-20-2014, 10:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Lose those tail lights too. Please.

Whatever you do, do not buy polished rims. You will hate life, I promise you.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:34 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ellsworth
Since you have some silver in the paint..

id get these, will look good and for $300 for a set you cant go wrong.

http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Wheels_3/...3#.UypiPfldV20
Those do look nice. That's going to be one of my choices. That price you can't beat for sure. What size you think would go nicely? Staggered or equal all around? And you think getting the stripe to be grey to go with gunmetal wheels would look good with metallic blue paint? Thanks for the link too!
Old 03-20-2014, 10:37 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Lose those tail lights too. Please.

Whatever you do, do not buy polished rims. You will hate life, I promise you.
Agreed. I got Lt1 tails now. I hated the chrome tail-lights, looked cheesey as hell.. I was going to get red LED tails but they stopped making them and only had chrome and black left of that kind I liked. So decided to go with lt1's and thought they looked good.

And whats bad about polished? Just curious.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

TT2's. You're not going to find a better looking wheel for the money. Stay away from OE wheels; they look like **** in my opinion.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Polished rims look great when they are polished. But they turn dull and hazy quickly and look like ****. So unless you feel like polishing rims all the time - you dont, trut me - stay away from them.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:52 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
TT2's. You're not going to find a better looking wheel for the money. Stay away from OE wheels; they look like **** in my opinion.
Okay. I'll def consider those wheels. They do look great. Just need to decide what finish on the wheels I should aim for. Thoughts?
Old 03-20-2014, 10:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Polished rims look great when they are polished. But they turn dull and hazy quickly and look like ****. So unless you feel like polishing rims all the time - you dont, trut me - stay away from them.
Explains why the wheels on my c3 don't shine even after being detailed and polished. Thanks for the tip. I'll stay away from them. I'd like to get chrome but it's slightly more expensive it seems. I am considering gun metal though. But my original plan was to have chrome wheels and a white stripe with the car. But open to ideas. I want to get this car looking right unlike when I bought it..
Old 03-20-2014, 11:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

I've had both polished (CCW's) and non polished/coated wheels. The polished wheels will always look better because you can get them to a mirror finish, but like others have said, they require a lot of work. My Dark Stars are black and very easy to keep clean. Simply spray them down and wipe them off.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:15 PM
Launching!

I've had both polished (CCW's) and non polished/coated wheels. The polished wheels will always look better because you can get them to a mirror finish, but like others have said, they require a lot of work. My Dark Stars are black and very easy to keep clean. Simply spray them down and wipe them off.
Oh, okay. Yeah I would like to just get some nice wheels that don't require as much of work as polished. Would be nice considering I DD my camaro. For now anyway.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Since you DD it, I'd opt for some coated wheels.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:06 PM
Launching!

Since you DD it, I'd opt for some coated wheels.
I agree. Hopefully I find some. So far I am liking the TT2's. Just want to see what other options are out there as well. Hopefully more people chime in. Plus need to figure out what size I'm going to go with. I'm thinking of going with gunmetal colored wheels. But that color seems almost black from what pics I've seen. Would be nice to see some setups posted, I'll have to take a look.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Blazekillerace
TT2's do look good for sure! I'm thinking of putting them on my 79 C3. What kind of finish on the wheels you think would be best? Thanks for your input!
Personally I like a chrome finish with your color. That with a nice deep dish in the rear
Old 03-20-2014, 07:39 PM
Launching!

Personally I like a chrome finish with your color. That with a nice deep dish in the rear
I want chrome as well. But prices for chrome are a little higher. But again, it's probably worth it in the end. I'll have to keep searching. Some said go with some DD C5 wheels. They do look good. But couldn't find any that were 18-19" that could fit my budget.. Hoping there are alternatives.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:40 PM
Launching!

Any other options guys? I took a look at some C5DD's. They look good as well.

I also would like to have the car sit a little lower, that's why I kind of want something smaller than these ugly 20's. I'm a low profile tire kind of guy. I've seen some 18" setups but some seem to have too much sidewall for my liking. I figured maybe go with 19"? Also, is it a big difference in tire prices between 19" and 18"? Just curious because I like to have a little "fun" from time to time.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Opinions on a new wheel setup.